Thread: Amana AMVM96 or AMEH96

Post Likes

Amana AMVM96 or AMEH96

I have narrowed my search for new HVAC to the Amana AMVM96 or AMEH96. Some say the the extra expense of the AMVM96 is not worth it. And the "modulating" of the variable speed blower is just hype. I live in a multi-level house in Wisconsin and any help or advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Post Likes
    I wouldn't call it hype. it is very helpful for systems with existing poor duct design and helps with comfort. get some more quotes with load calc. has a load calc been done yet?

Post Likes
    There's one thing I hate to see done with furnaces: a 2 stage furnace on a single stage thermostat letting the timer in the furnace board decide if you need high heat or low heat regardless of what you REALLY need. And no long run times on gentle low with a timer switching to high.

The AMEH cannot use a 2 stage stat, you are stuck with a timer. So by default I hate this furnace.

The blower motor is high efficiency but works like a standard motor. As the duct conditions change (and filter gets dirty) airflow changes. But a furnace with a variable speed motor encountering duct resistance will just work harder to try to move the air you need. It's like cruise control when you get to a hill. It automatically steps on the gas to keep the MPH where you want it.

So I highly recommend the AMVM with a communicating control for the ultimate in comfort in a cold climate. I lived in WI for a couple years.

Post Likes
    AMVM is amana's top of the line.
    AMEH is like middle ground.

The AMVM is "modulating" but not in the true sense, like rheem's modulating.
    The AMEH is like variable speed, except it's not truly variable speed.

In both sense, you pay for something, and only "sorta" get what you pay for.
    Go between the two.
    AMVC. Not modulating, but truly variable speed with staging.

Get an assure 10 year labor warranty. The furnace only comes with a parts warranty.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    How is it not really modulating?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    How is it not really modulating?
    My understanding is that the AMVM only modulates up, but as it gets closer to setpoint, it will not modulate down.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Incorrect. 02, 03 and 04 modulate down.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Incorrect. 02, 03 and 04 modulate down.
    Wonderfull!
    Many thanks benny. I'm working off old info then

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in