+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heating and Cooling AC without outdoor unit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaousc View Post
    We do.
    I have one combo unit inconveniently located in the livingroom by the external wall (take a lot of space, don't know what idiot designed that). It is 18 years old and at 38k BTU, it is an overkill. I am looking to replace it with something more suitable for my need in a different location.
    Okay.

Now I'm guessing that:

1. Your current unit is a water-source heat pump and your condo building supplies water for the condensing coil through a recirculating loop to a cooling tower somewhere, possibly the roof?

Or

2. Your HP has a condensing unit on the roof?

Or

3. Your unit is merely a fan coil connected to a 4-pipe chilled/heated water system?

OR

4. Since its at the external wall, your current unit is a PTHP such as a Marvaire Scholar or Bard Qtec; having a grille on the outside wall for the condenser air inlet and outlet.

Not that any of these will necessarily assist in providing options for another unit, but inquiring minds want to know; do you know which of these is correct?
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    ^
    Thanks for the patience with me. I believe it would be number 4. There is a grill on the outside wall.

Post Likes
    ^
    Thanks for the patience with me. I believe it would be number 4. There is a grill on the outside wall.
    Okay, now we know how you're cooling/heating currently.

If you really want to go ahead with what you have in mind, the best bet is probably the unit to which you originally referred.

In the States, Lowes and Home Depot carry a similar brand. As someone mention in an earlier post you would need a piece of plywood or something similar with holes to attach the condenser air vents (like dryer vent hoses). Plywood cut just wide and tall enough to fit between your sliding door and the jamb.

Don't know how this is going to fly with your HOA. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EMETH View Post
    Okay, now we know how you're cooling/heating currently.

If you really want to go ahead with what you have in mind, the best bet is probably the unit to which you originally referred.

In the States, Lowes and Home Depot carry a similar brand. As someone mention in an earlier post you would need a piece of plywood or something similar with holes to attach the condenser air vents (like dryer vent hoses). Plywood cut just wide and tall enough to fit between your sliding door and the jamb.

Don't know how this is going to fly with your HOA. Good luck.
    what brand is it? Could you provide a link for me?
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Also you have to do something with the condensate water. Emptying a pan every couple of hours will get tiresome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Unico makes a system which works that way. And they are made in North America. I buy their equipment fairly often.

Or you could do what I did when going head-to-head with the condo association nazi's. Just keep buying more condos until you can vote the disagreeable idiots off the board of trustees or directors. Then vote in someone who will work with you - like yourself - and change the rules.

PHM
    ------

I live in a condo in Toronto where the bylaw doesn't allow installation of anything outside, so I am pretty interested in the heatpump system without an outdoor condenser, like this

http://uk.olimpiasplendid.com/air_co...-inverter-9-hp
    http://www.coolyoudirect.co.uk/LNE.p...r-conditioning

Essentially, instead of have a large condenser outside, you only need to drill two small holes on the external wall.

I have small heating/requirement, probably below 20000BTU, and I need cooling for like a week every year.

The question is, is such system available in North America? Anyone with experience in that?

Thanks.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    what brand is it? Could you provide a link for me?
    Thanks!
    This is the Toronto store.
    http://www.lowes.ca/search/portable-...nditioner.html
    Don't know any of the brands except for Honeywell, but that doesn't mean they're not good. I believe some dispose of the condensate water somehow. Check with the personnel in the store.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by txssdad View Post
    Also you have to do something with the condensate water. Emptying a pan every couple of hours will get tiresome.
    Use a pump to pump it out through 1/4" or so plastic tubing. Or if it's a water cooled unit, put it on the counter and let gravity do the work.

Do measure the tap water temperature during the peak of summer. If it's still reasonably low (70F or less), a car radiator and box fan would be a cheap and efficient way to get A/C.

Post Likes
    Just buy the same type of unit you have ...but the correct size for your load...

Post Likes

Condo HVAC

Hi What did you end up doing?!

Post Likes
    He died it's been 7 years now.

Post Likes
    Remind me, What do the other Condo 's use for HVAC?

Post Likes
    This post revived my memory. I don't know if this even applies to shaousc's problem but I was sent to a house in the 70's and installed a Lennox unit where the condenser was in the attic and fit between studs in the outside wall. Only one I had seen.
    Slick though. Nice solution for when nothing else will work. I don't know if they make them anymore.
    I also remember spilling a gallon of white paint on their black roof while painting the trim. But hey, gotta expect apprentices to screw up right?
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    The Olympia Splendid unit is an interesting concept. Needs an outside wall. My question is if the compressor is in the house, how noisy is it??

The second one that is UK uses domestic water for a sink/source. More flexible in placement perhaps, but will be 200V 50Hz and not 208V 60Hz as used in N America...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    i was selling this ac units in Italy, many years ago, they work, and they work fine, not the quieter, but maybe things changed after all this years.
    The Olympia Splendid is been on the market for a long time. we have a lot of historical buildings Italy, and a condenser outside is not well accepted, some time not even an option, period. So welcome to this kind of systems, here in US, should be less problematic, less regulations and not too many bricks LOL.
    When you have to make holes in drywall or wood its easy. We have Bricks everywhere in italy even inside the house, to divide rooms, bricks and stucco or plaster.
    The way this ac work is simple, condenser and evaporator coil inside the housing, condenser get cooled from air coming from outside, air intake, and blowed outside from air discharge.
    Thats why you need two holes, this system work like magic, trust me, the only thing is that you cannot get a 5 tons system, as far as i remember, but i can be wrong. Anyway, my opinion is 2 thumbs up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in