+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poke Salad

Post Likes

Poke Salad

Anybody of y'all tasted poke salad? Had it in my youth in Tennessee. Had to grip the table when eating it because it was "strong" so to speak and didn't want to heave.

Didn't care for cooked spinach and this was a step beyond to say the least. Kinda of had to eat some to prove you were a man instead of a coward.

The deal was you would cut the young leaves of a poke weed plant in the spring before they turned red.

The women would put it in boiling water remove it dump the water, rinse it, reboil it and did this three times to make it somewhat eatable and supposedly remove any toxins and then you fried it in lard.

I heard it contained Iodine which back in the "old" days was not in salt and a good way to get your Iodine needs met so to speak. My girl friend's mom love to cook it in the spring and served it for supper.

This was back in the late 50's and 60's. Wouldn't mind trying it one more time to test my "mettle" again. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    isn't it called polk? I have never had it but am a huge elvis fan so have heard of it many times over. it's actually one of my favorite songs from him. I have heard it is bitter and is an "acquired" taste.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    isn't it called polk? I have never had it but am a huge elvis fan so have heard of it many times over. it's actually one of my favorite songs from him. I have heard it is bitter and is an "acquired" taste.
    Well where we were in East Tennessee it was called poke salad. It may have been called poke in other areas for sure. I've always been an Elvis fan myself and liked the song. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well where we were in East Tennessee it was called poke salad. It may have been called poke in other areas for sure. I've always been an Elvis fan myself and liked the song. Thank you very much
    my restaurant has elvis playing 24/7 and many ice cream "sundaes" and shakes are named after his songs. people love it.

Post Likes
    never had them myself but seen many an oldtimer pickin' leaves in fields where it was plentiful

Post Likes
    I thought it was "Poke salat" Probably most just said it and didn't write it so with accents and all the name might be heard differently.
    Anyway, I looked it up in one of my ol herb books from when I had an interest in wild things. Pokeweed. phytolacca americana In the Pokeweed family.
    Remember Euell Gibbons? He really liked pokeweed. He says grab the tender leaves, cook in some water with salt and bacon drippings for 1/2 hour. Serve them from the kettle or with a cream sauce.Some roll in corm meal and fry them.
    Glen, to try poke again you might have to find it wild though. They say it grows from Minnesota to Ontario south.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Pokeweed, Poke Salad, Poke Sallett..... POKE IT ALL....

I have growing all over my yard..... They say it's poisonous. No wonder my mother tried to feed it to me as a child.....

Post Likes
    I tested poke salad and I can say that this salad is awesome.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkidi View Post
    I tested poke salad and I can say that this salad is awesome.
    Is this the same plant that grows wild everywhere with yellow blossoms?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    I have eaten it and never thought it was strong, it is best when you scramble eggs in it. It is poison if you don't boil it good just be sure to use young leaves, but I have heard that people fry the larger stalks like okra

Post Likes
    Poke Salad Annie.... its an old song...

Poke salad... creesy greens...... weeds......... cressy greens grow in streams I believe. Poke is just a weed.

People around here call a paper sack a poke...... call soft drinks "dopes"...... sodee dopes....

You add some bacon fat to yard clippings and saute it and Id say it would taste fine.......

I'll take some fresh collards...... with maybe just a sprinking of vinegar on them....
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    I think I will stick with Tacos.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I think I will stick with Tacos.
    I like those too!

Post Likes
    POke salad is my favourite one! Can share with amasing recepie in case somebody wants

Post Likes
    Sho Nuf!
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in