Thread: Quieter alternatives to McQuay WLB heat pump?

Post Likes

Quieter alternatives to McQuay WLB heat pump?

I have three McQuay WLB water source heat pumps in my apartment. They are wide box units that fit under the windows next to the wall. They work fine but are very noisy. If/when it comes time to upgrade these units (they are 10 years old already), I'm wondering if there are any alternatives that are significantly quieter. Any tips appreciated.

Post Likes
    Well, that depends. You say it's an apartment but not whether you're the owner or occupy by rent or lease. There's not much else on which to base an opinion. The most popular replacements for noisy units currently is the Mitsubishi City Multi systems. But that would likely need more than one apartment to join in and I have no idea as to the size of the units needed, how many indoor units would be needed or whether it's even feasible. We work on some Whalen WSHPs that are fairly quiet mechanically but also fairly noisy for air velocity due to their single supply outlet. So absent a lot more info, I've made the only suggestion I can.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Well, that depends. You say it's an apartment but not whether you're the owner or occupy by rent or lease. There's not much else on which to base an opinion. The most popular replacements for noisy units currently is the Mitsubishi City Multi systems. But that would likely need more than one apartment to join in and I have no idea as to the size of the units needed, how many indoor units would be needed or whether it's even feasible. We work on some Whalen WSHPs that are fairly quiet mechanically but also fairly noisy for air velocity due to their single supply outlet. So absent a lot more info, I've made the only suggestion I can.
    Thanks! I'm the owner of the apartment but can only control what I do, not what other apartment owners will do, so any upgrade would have to be something I do myself without affecting other units or requiring changes to the building infrastructure.

The Whalen WSHP sounds interesting. Is that an option for me to upgrade? If I understand you right, it would be mechanically quieter than the McQuay but the air sound might be worse?

Also, a followup question -- what is the typical lifespan of the McQuay units? Our our 10 years old. If they are due for replacement and there is a good alternative, I'm more likely to upgrade. Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in