+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where is ralph when you need him?

Post Likes

Where is ralph when you need him?

I have a 4 bedroom house and 3 full baths. Since it is just Cheryl and I here, the other two baths hardly ever get used. That means the tub's, showers, potty's and lavatory's. Question is, Is it ok to let the water just set there in the copper pipes or do I need to turn the hot and cold water on sometimes. The back bath hasn't been used since Cheryl bathed Lulu. Ha, I miss the little pig.

Post Likes
    Seems to me run some water occasionally. If my feeble memory is right, seems a member of "The Wall" got Legionaire's disease from stagnant water in the pipes of his vacation home. If you don't keep it fresh, run lots of water before drinking or showering in that part of the home.

Post Likes
    More important than the supply pipes are the drain traps. You need to run water ever so often to keep the water seal in the traps from evaporating. If they do sewer gas can back up into your home, besides stinking it can actually be flammable.

Post Likes
    Sorry, I snuck out early and went to a tool auction.

It's probably a good idea to run some water in those occasionally. Keeps them from drying out, and also rinses whatever residual cleaning chemicals might be down there. If you've got copper dwv, you do not want to use any chemical drain cleaners, or that tile & grout stuff from the annoying guy on tv. It'll sit in the trap, and eat right through the pipe at the waterline.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphtheplumber View Post
    Sorry, I snuck out early and went to a tool auction.

It's probably a good idea to run some water in those occasionally. Keeps them from drying out, and also rinses whatever residual cleaning chemicals might be down there. If you've got copper dwv, you do not want to use any chemical drain cleaners, or that tile & grout stuff from the annoying guy on tv. It'll sit in the trap, and eat right through the pipe at the waterline.

Same story if ya got Durham drains as well... Some of them are so worn out, they are paper thin!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in