Thread: Honeywell Dual Zone - blower noise smaller zone

Post Likes

Honeywell Dual Zone - blower noise smaller zone

Hello!
    We just moved into our home and it is my first experience with a Honeywell Dualzone system. The larger zone controls the middle and third floor and the smaller zone only does the downstairs.
    When the downstairs zone is on the blower/furnace makes a sort of revving noise almost like it is trying really hard. When the upstairs zone is on the blower is a low constant normal sound.
    If I remove the filter on the furnace the revving noise stops and is a constant normal blower sound even when the first floor zone is going. I have tried adjust the arm on the damper to open the damper even more because it seems to be even worse when the damper is 3/4 open compared to 5/6 open which is how I have it now. I was told when either zone is on and the other is not the damper will open and when they are both on the damper will shut all of the way. I have tried to have them come listen to it but they just give the standard I can not really hear it/that is how it is supposed to sound garbage. After some reading I have ordered some lesser MERV rated filters because it almost seems like the furnace is about to suck in the nice filter I ordered and put in there.
    Any thoughts or ideas or even things I need to say to them the next time they come out so I sound more informed and not a customer that will just accept what they have to say?
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Is this a 1" pleated filter? If it is, then throw it away and replace it with a standard non-pleated filter. The reason the furnace is "sucking" the filter into it is because the filter restricts the air flow horribly. We have been getting LOTS of calls from folks using these filters and causing problems with their systems. To increase the filter capacity using lower priced non-pleated, simply spray filter sides with Endust before installing. But get rid of that 1" pleated air filter!!

Post Likes
    It is a pleated one that I got from Amazon with a MERV 7 and the new ones I ordered, which should be here today, are a NordicPure MERV 4 POLY (assume polyester and not pleated). I realize I will probably just have to replace them more often then I would "nicer" ones. Thank you for the response!

Post Likes
    If the new ones are poly foam, then spraying with Endust will increase the filtering efficiency. But replace them more often as dust will build up quicker. Stay away from pleated filters as we just had an electric furnace yesterday that was running off on limit and ONLY problem was the pleated paper filter!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in