Thread: Measuring Line temperature

Post Likes

Measuring Line temperature

In measuring the line temp to determine superheat and subcooling will any digital thermometer work or is one type recommened over another? I've seen probe thermometers that are inserted directly into the liquid/vapor line through valve core removal tools(at the service valve), infrared thermometer guns, type K single input thermometers with thermocouple, pocket thermometers, on and on and on. The ones that go inside through the core removal tool seem like they would be the most accurate, as you are measuring inside the pipe, not out. I also think I've heard not to use infrared. Any input would be great. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    In measuring the line temp to determine superheat and subcooling will any digital thermometer work or is one type recommened over another? I've seen probe thermometers that are inserted directly into the liquid/vapor line through valve core removal tools(at the service valve), infrared thermometer guns, type K single input thermometers with thermocouple, pocket thermometers, on and on and on. The ones that go inside through the core removal tool seem like they would be the most accurate, as you are measuring inside the pipe, not out. I also think I've heard not to use infrared. Any input would be great. Thanks
    This is how I do it. Fluke 52 k bead probe taped directly to the line and covered with armaflex. Try to block direct sunlight. Use second probe to measure outdoor ambient. I understand the clamp ons are nice but have not used one.
    I would not trust the infrared for this application.

Post Likes
    i would not use a infrared for line temp.. i have a sh66a cooper that has many different attachment for its use..one is a strap on for line temps..i think it is very good IMO .. you can check up to 3 different temps at once.

Post Likes
    Twilli recommends this one as the most accurate

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=6800
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Field piece has a nice one that is K-type and is a clamp, so no strapping needed. It runs about $50 and plugs into any meter with a k-type port.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    I use the Testo 523 clamp on type.
    I also use the Supco SPP6, the YJ clamp-on, the YJ wire type and the YJ core remover digital probe. All probes except the YJ core remover probe (it comes in direct contact with the refrigerant) need to be mounted on a clean suction pipe when checking superheat and a clean discharge pipe when checking subcooling.
    Basically, any of the digital probes are very good.
    I've also used the infrared and have found it to be more accurate than the reviews I have read about it's inaccuracy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli recommends this one as the most accurate

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=6800
    I've been around for awhile now and am still never quite sure when you are going to throw something serious out or not. You got me LOL. I should have known right away, coleman thermometer!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    fieldpiece Model#SC53 and MODEL#ATC3 your cost only couple $$$ and you good to go thats only meter you need to carry make its not availble from supply store new item best for hvacr tech

Post Likes
    Heres what I use. Quick, easy, accurate, fast response.
    http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Pr...keUnitedStates

Post Likes
    I agree with Steve and use the same clamp. It is quick and durable. I use it with the Fieldpice SC77.

Post Likes
    clamp here as well, very quick readings

matt