Thread: What electronic air cleaner is the best?

Post Likes

What electronic air cleaner is the best?

Hey forum! I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a particular factor regarding electronic air cleaners like the Carrier Infinity or the Lennox PureAir.

Here's my question: I've read that the Carrier (and Trane and AprilAire for that matter) all produce ozone, which is kind of scary. The Lennox one is the only air cleaner that I've found that says it does not. Does anyone have comments on that? I know Trane says that their model produces a very low level - yeah, whatever. I'm not pumping anything into my home that has even a trace of toxic material.

My wife and I just got rid of our Tempurpedic bed after she had a reaction to it and we found out that memory foam is toxic and releases VOCs.

So anyway...please don't give me information on UV lamps or anything else but 3-stage electronic air cleaners. Thanks!!!!

Post Likes
    I bet you would get alot more responses in the AOP forum. Might ask mods to move you.

Post Likes
    Thanks...I'll just post in there.

Post Likes
    You can check Air Purifier from LG because I heard they have a good air purifier and its affordable.

------------------------
    Conference Venue Finder

Post Likes
    The Aprilaire Model 5000 Air Purifier is the highest performing air purifier. It has been rated #1 for three years running by a leading product rating magazine and is the best way to get the cleanest, healthiest air in your home. your electronic air cleaner is critical for proper performance.You should use good pressure but be careful not to bend the collector plates.

6. Likes BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a good one

8. Likes theedesign liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like the Lennox Air purifier products!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KentBoudreau View Post
    Hey forum! I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a particular factor regarding electronic air cleaners like the Carrier Infinity or the Lennox PureAir.

Here's my question: I've read that the Carrier (and Trane and AprilAire for that matter) all produce ozone, which is kind of scary. The Lennox one is the only air cleaner that I've found that says it does not. Does anyone have comments on that? I know Trane says that their model produces a very low level - yeah, whatever. I'm not pumping anything into my home that has even a trace of toxic material.

My wife and I just got rid of our Tempurpedic bed after she had a reaction to it and we found out that memory foam is toxic and releases VOCs.

So anyway...please don't give me information on UV lamps or anything else but 3-stage electronic air cleaners. Thanks!!!!
    Fresh air ventilation is far better than any filter for VOCs. A good merv 11 air filter with a mechanical fresh air change in 4-5 hours minimum will purge the indoor pollutants from your bed and all the other materials in your home. These device are very slow to do their thing verses fresh air. Fresh air also replaces the oxygen.
    A 6" fresh air inlet duct connected to the ducts of your a/c will do. You may need a fan in the 6" duct to power in 100 cfm of fresh air or operate the a/c blower. You need a a/c tech to do this right. It is basic but few know how to do it.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Hello,
    I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I am interested in a Ultra Air 70H or 98H. Since the 70H does not have a dedicated fresh air collar, I would need to install a Tee for fresh air. My question is this: Since the 70H is rated at 150 CFM, could I configure dampers so that the 70H is sucking 100% fresh air when needed? I have a 2400 SQFT home. Should I purchase the 98H and use the dedicated fresh collar in conjunction with a duct fan to maintain the 150 CFM. Also, do I need to do any of this? I have a variable capacity condenser. Could I just pump 150 CFM fresh air into my HVAC system? Thank you Bryan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KentBoudreau View Post

Anything that has an ultraviolet light that makes UV-C in an oxygen atmosphere makes ozone. as for the home/toxic material comment. Good luck with that. You'd be better living in a yurt in siberia.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

Post Likes
    Personally I like a Aprilair media filter.

Post Likes
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by redstick45 View Post
    Hello,
    I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I am interested in a Ultra Air 70H or 98H. Since the 70H does not have a dedicated fresh air collar, I would need to install a Tee for fresh air. My question is this: Since the 70H is rated at 150 CFM, could I configure dampers so that the 70H is sucking 100% fresh air when needed? I have a 2400 SQFT home. Should I purchase the 98H and use the dedicated fresh collar in conjunction with a duct fan to maintain the 150 CFM. Also, do I need to do any of this? I have a variable capacity condenser. Could I just pump 150 CFM fresh air into my HVAC system? Thank you Bryan
    Thanks for the vote.
    150 cfm fresh air is a lot of fresh air. I would suggest 100 cfm. Not a big deal, just need a little more dehumidification.
    I would go with the Ultra-Aire 98 H if you want +100 cfm of fresh air. More capacity and efficiency.
    If you want all fresh air with any of the UA dehus, install a normally open damper in the open part of the house return to the dehu and normally closed damper in the fresh air duct. Unactivated dampers allow air from the only. Activated is all fresh air from outside. Activating the fresh air damper gets both fresh air and house air. The fresh air ducts should be 10".
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Last edited by teddy bear; 12-26-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Filtration removes particulate. Purifiers or dilution removes vocs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I am fond of the Aprilaire 5000. I have two of them in my own home. No ozone, no snapping and only need an annual change of media. My two RUUD contours are as clean as they day they were installed! Blower is spotless, so I know they are doing a phenomenal job. As to the Carrier and Lennox units? Cannot say as I am no longer in the "field" and have no hands on with either.

I have installed many Honeywell EAC in my time and although they work well, they require a lot of homeowner participation in (carefully) cleaning monthly. Over the years, I generally found they had not been cared for and then I replaced the cells with the Honeywell F25 media.

Whatever you choose will ultimately depend on what your contractor supports.

Cheers!

Post Likes
    Ugh,, after looking at the date of the original question, I hope he decided by now

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

20. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in