+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My solar

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Nice!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    If you don't mind sharing some information.

What brand of panels and what inverter did you decide on?

I have been looking into doing what you have done along with a wind mill to charge a battery bank.

Thanks for posting the picture.
    Dealing with Global Warming

Post Likes
    They are solarworld panels, I don't remember the true specs but there are (33) 230watt I believe panels with a Sma sunnyboy 7kw inverter. I looked long and hard at wind, in fact after 11 meetings and 4 public hearings I received my permit but it did not make financial sense. I looked at a 10kw Bergy on an 141' pole but the actual production is 1/2 of the stated chart per the mfg. there is one of that setup nearby and I asked to use his Internet login and track yearly production and I was very unimpressed.

Post Likes
    What does it do? How does it work? Do you use the power it generates, or does the power go back on the grid and you get paid for it? I would enjoy hearing some more information on this.

Post Likes
    I have an electric meter like everyone else but it is a "net meter" and can run forward and backwards... For example right now I am producing more electric than I am using and my meter is running backwards (I am selling the electric at full rate) if it is cloudy or at night I will purchase power like normal. So in essence if I use 7000kw in a year and produce 7500kw then I will get a credit on my account at year end at wholesale. For year 1 I racked up a 2500wk credit going into the winter (which has less hours in the day of sunlight and snow on the panels at times),,, that carried me the winter and I was almost even for the year. I pay $16 a month for a meter/ability to sell. Some people get battery storage and such but the cost of install and replacement batteries does not compare to net metering. I also have a generac natural gas generator in case the power goes out. If the power goes out with solar without batteries it will shut down by design so it does not backfeed the grid

Post Likes
    It won't let me upload pics ,,, but since 5/15/12. 12,729kw produced... Right now it is somewhat over cast but for the day I am producing 20.16kw at 140pm and currently at 4746w true output. My net meter is showing power to the grid thus I am using less than 4746w and I am selling excess

Post Likes
    Wow!!

Post Likes
    Just curious; could you post a 'round' number of what this cost... along with tax credits and refunds?

I have heard in my area it is around a grand ($1000/panel) installed, before tax credits.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    That is really cool. What kind of investment do you have in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    For round number sake

-11,000 state credit
    -5,000 state credit
    -10,500 federal credit
    Thus net cost $8500 and it will produce $1200 +\- electric per yr

7yr payback then money in the bank.
    1 thing to remember,,, if you were to get a loan for say,,,, $100 a month for 8yrs and you saves $100 a month in electric then you pay your loan with your electric money your not paying... In essence robbing Peter to pay Paul for 8yrs then you will have free electric for another 25yrs.... Note my numbers are different than the ones listed above

Post Likes
    Your state credits are more generous than here in GA. We get around 30% and that is it. The Fed, of course, will be the same.

My home has too much tree shade for this to work; and I have LOW elec bills as a result.

I do have a question though: Did you live in the house before the solar was installed? If so, does the presence of the panels on the roof shield the house from some of the heat gain during the day? I have wondered about this for years, and when I ask a solar guy... they hedge and change the subject.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I did live in the home about 3yrs before the solar was installed. I roofed the house myself the 1st yr. the south side where the panels are will be essentially fully shaded as they are covered with panels. I didn't take attic temps before and after but I would imagine it would be cooler due to the shading.

Post Likes
    kangaroogod,

Thank you for sharing this information.

I am in a good wind zone with being located in the foothills of Appalachian Mountains.

I want to add a windmill that can handle 100mph to 110mph wind gusts with 75 mph sustained for sometimes 24 hours. Need a good sturdy tail and braking. We get this type wind every year in spring and fall. All other times the wind is average is 10 mph, mostly in the evenings when the sun is going down.

I may build my own windmill as $15,000 to $20,000 installed was out of my budget. I have been studying Hugh Piggot for the past 10 years and I ordered some plans from him. I will attach his link for interested folks.
    http://www.scoraigwind.com/

With the wind here, I have been concerned mounting solar panels on my roof so I may need to mount them on the ground.
    Dealing with Global Warming

Post Likes
    FYI, the cost to properly install. 10kw Bergy windmill (around here) on a 140' pole is about 80k. Remember height is your friend. Don't waste your Money on anything less that 140' tower. I average 4.1 m/s at 80'

Post Likes
    Mr Roo, Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting. Is there very much to installing and wiring them? I wouldnt think there would be anything crazy for hooking them up. Are your numbers based on you doing the installation work yourself?

In 20 years I would think this will be a lot more common. Im sure the cost of the panels will come down with time.

Post Likes
    Due to nys regulations, all install needs to be done by an accredited contractor... The wiring is easy enough for someone that does electrical for a living

Post Likes
    This is my solar installation.

It's 5 kWp, 20 panels. It was installed in September 2015, but we had to wait till June 2016 for the net metering to be approved. Since then we generated 14.7 MWh.
    My roof is East/West, so I have half the panels on one side, the other half on the other. The highest output I have seen was 4.5 kW (around June).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in