+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between 407A & 407C ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What is the difference between 407A & 407C ?

Yes; I know that one is for A/C and the other for refrigeration - but what I want to know is WHY?

What is the difference between the two refrigerants?

What difference does it make if I use 407A in an air conditioning application or use a 407C in a refrigeration application?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    407a is better at low temp than c is. Also slightly lower discharge temps.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Post Likes
    When a blend has different letters after the same number (A and C), it means they have different percentages of the same refrigerants used in the blends. They both have the same refrigerants in their blends, just different ratios.

My guess is 407A is blended to work better in low temp, whereas 407C is more toward medium temp, because of differences in pressure/temp relations.

4. Likes EugeneTheJeep liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm not a chemist or know exactly what it is but i think that 407a has something added to the blend to help with lowering the discharge temperatures on higher compression ration(MT/LT refrigeration, what ever it is i believe lowers the efficiency of the refrigerant a bit and also raises the GWP ratio of the gas,

407c is a bit more efficient and has lower GWP but only is good for HT refrigeration, but no good for MT/LT due to discharge temps

i could be completely wrong but thats what i'm going with for now hahaha

Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    wow 3 answers at once hahahahaha
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

So high DSH is my only concern ?

Anybody know How High ? <g>

How much higher the DSH is with 407C as versus 407A ?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    If you all recall; the only reason for R-502 was that R-22 ran excessive DSH on LT applications. And this was a real problem with mineral lube oils as thermal oil breakdown would coke up the valves. Synthetic oils would have also solved the problem but Dupont makes refrigerants and not lube oils. <g>

I don't think POE oils like high temps either - although they don't coke, I do think something else comes out of them (whatever clogs up cap tubes) when they get overheated.

I wonder if there is any synthetic refrigeration oil which will both play nice with the 400 grade refrigerants And remain stable at high temps?

Any ideas?
    PHM
    --------

9. Likes ndfrozen liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We have a couple stores with 407C for medium and low temp.

Post Likes
    Actually POE has a better tolerance for high temperatures. Mineral oil starts to decompose at 350F and POE starts to decompose at 400F.

I've attached a spreadsheet showing the chemical makeup of some of the popular R-22 replacements. It's the R-32 and R-125 (lower boiling point refrigerants) which give R-407A and R-407F more capacity than R-407C. It's also the higher percentage of R-32 which causes the R-407F to have discharge temperatures much closer to R-22....not a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    I have heard that 407c doesn't have that great of oil return so using on a rack with an oil seperator is why it is for supermarkets. 407a has a better oil return (mixing ability). Kinda like r422d (I think) has crapy oil return and must be ran with about a 50/50 poe and alk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    It's also the higher percentage of R-32 which causes the R-407F to have discharge temperatures much closer to R-22....not a good thing.
    I just completed 2 stores (4 racks) from R-22 to R-407F.

Under R-22, liquid injection would cycle.

Under R-407F, liquid injection is not even needing to run.

14. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Didn't even know there was a 407F

16. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just spoke with my supply and they only stock 2 jugs 407F , and said they almost never sell it

Anyone use it ?

Hey Poodle , its been a few years , are you currently stocking both 407 A and C ?

Post Likes
    I do

Post Likes
    This is interesting. I've done a few r22 to 407a conversions and the liquid injection still cycles, couldn't tell much difference, but of course I never timed it before the conversion so it very well could be less.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I just completed 2 stores (4 racks) from R-22 to R-407F.

Under R-22, liquid injection would cycle.

Under R-407F, liquid injection is not even needing to run.

Post Likes
    I guess I just replied to a 7 year old post LOL

Post Likes
    It happens

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I guess I just replied to a 7 year old post LOL

23. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    All design is compromise. You can't have everything.

I have used R-407A, C, and F. Although it's not technically accurate - I find it easiest to visualize / project the actions of the various 407's as though they were blends of R-410 and R-134. With A having the least 410 and F having the most 410.

R-410 is a nice refrigerant but it runs 'too hot' to work well for low temperature (high compression ratio) work. The R-134 component serves to 'cool down' the system. Of course R-134 has a much greater 'pounds pumped per hour' requirement to get equal BTU performance - so, for a given compressor, the greater the R-134 portion of the blend; the lower the BTU performance

So the 407 blends walk a fence-line between those two factors. It's nice to have the higher suction pressure / higher vapor density for the compressor efficiency but you can't burn the SOB up either. <g>

I have weighed in a 50/50 blend of R-410 and R-134 (in the field and not in a lab <g>) and found the performance to be the same as R-407C so far as I could tell. That was using an R-22 compressor with POE oil.

When R-410 first appeared my initial thought was: Here we go - a nice low temp refrigerant which will maintain great suction pressures at low temperatures. I was wrong about that. At first I was annoyed that all R-410 TXV's were for comfort cooling - but eventually I came to realize why. <g>

Most people I talk to in real life have zero interest in any of this. I know this because of their routine use of their signature-question. Which is:

"Yeah OK, so what should my pressures be?" <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I just spoke with my supply and they only stock 2 jugs 407F , and said they almost never sell it

Anyone use it ?

Hey Poodle , its been a few years , are you currently stocking both 407 A and C ?
    PHM
    --------

25. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    All design is compromise. You can't have everything.

I have used R-407A, C, and F. Although it's not technically accurate - I find it easiest to visualize / project the actions of the various 407's as though they were blends of R-410 and R-134. With A having the least 410 and F having the most 410.

R-410 is a nice refrigerant but it runs 'too hot' to work well for low temperature (high compression ratio) work. The R-134 component serves to 'cool down' the system. Of course R-134 has a much greater 'pounds pumped per hour' requirement to get equal BTU performance - so, for a given compressor, the greater the R-134 portion of the blend; the lower the BTU performance

So the 407 blends walk a fence-line between those two factors. It's nice to have the higher suction pressure / higher vapor density for the compressor efficiency but you can't burn the SOB up either. <g>

I have weighed in a 50/50 blend of R-410 and R-134 (in the field and not in a lab <g>) and found the performance to be the same as R-407C so far as I could tell. That was using an R-22 compressor with POE oil.

When R-410 first appeared my initial thought was: Here we go - a nice low temp refrigerant which will maintain great suction pressures at low temperatures. I was wrong about that. At first I was annoyed that all R-410 TXV's were for comfort cooling - but eventually I came to realize why. <g>

Most people I talk to in real life have zero interest in any of this. I know this because of their routine use of their signature-question. Which is:

"Yeah OK, so what should my pressures be?" <g>

PHM
    ---------
    Interesting... enjoyed the part about mixing 410 and 134...

Did you, by any chance, figure out the glide...
    And even more interesting... which one would leak out first???

We have done a bunch of 22 to 407C conversions... they seem to work nicely!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in