Thread: Aprilaire - Electronic Air Cleaner Model 5000 vs. Aprilaire 2000 and Steam Humidifier

Post Likes

Aprilaire - Electronic Air Cleaner Model 5000 vs. Aprilaire 2000 and Steam Humidifier

Hi,
    I'm purchasing a new Carrier Infinity Greenspeed heat pump and Furnace for my 1,700 sq. ft home in Westchester and am debating on two add ons:
    1. Aprilaire Electronic Air Filter vs. Regular filter (model 2000) - I read a lot about pros/cons of electronic air filter and am still confused. Is it worth the extra cost. I saw some research that the Aprilaire does a great job, even after running for a few months and didn't see much negative feedback on ozone pollution. My unit is in a crawlbasement, so would like to add an air filter, but wanted to know if it's worth the extra expense for the electronic one and if money wasn't my concern (a few hundred dollars as the installation fee is similar), should i splurge for it?
    2. I'm contemplating adding an Aprilaire Steam humidifier, but it's quite expensive and I hear that it's going to cost me another $500 per season to run. My HVAC installer said that i probably won't need it since I have a greenspeed and the air is not as dry. Should i hold off and see how it runs first or do you think it's worth the investment? I was told a regular humidifier isn't worth the expense and that it will run through my too much hot water daily?

Thanks

Post Likes
    i would go with a good media filter and hold off on the humidifier.
    electronic air cleaners are more of a headache than they are worth and steam humidifiers just cost to much to run.

Post Likes
    Thanks. April 2000 series good or do you have another preference?

Post Likes
    i'm a Lennox dealer and use their filters pretty much exclusively so not familiar with April Air's line up.
    if its just a merv 10-12 media filter it should be fine.

Post Likes
    While I agree about most EAC's the AA 5000 is basically a AA4000 with a charged media and other electronics. It is a great filter without power and better with it. Also a little easier to clean than some.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    While I agree about most EAC's the AA 5000 is basically a AA4000 with a charged media and other electronics. It is a great filter without power and better with it. Also a little easier to clean than some.
    charged media and other electronics create ozone, ozone is bad and some people are very sensitive to it.