Thread: American Standard Packaged Heat Pump Filter-Drier

Post Likes

Confused American Standard Packaged Heat Pump Filter-Drier

Dear Pros,

I have an American Standard Packaged heat pump model WCK024B100AA (manuf. 8/2007) that is approximately 5 1/2 years old. Within the first year, it developed a leak in the condenser coil which was repaired. At approx. 4 1/2 years, compressor failed and was subsequently replaced. Now less than one year later, the same technician is advising that the TXV (thermostatic expansion valves) need to be replaced since they are stuck in closed position. Technician also mentioned that he did not see any filter drier installed in this unit. However, the same technician indicated a year ago on the service paperwork during the compressor warranty replacement that the filter drier was also replaced under warranty.

The question now is does this particular model from A.S. normally come with a filter drier factory installed? If so, where exactly would this be typically located in this unit? The technician opened up the compartment panel for the evaporator coil as well and said that he did not see any filter drier installed anywhere in this system. There is a copper vertical component in the compressor portion of the unit that looks like it could be a filter drier but he described this instead as being a muffler. I've attached a picture and hopefully you can see this canister to the right and below the TXV. Is this truly a muffler or is he mistaken and this is actually the filter drier? I cannot find any service manual or owner's manual that identifies the various components. Of course, I can recognize the obvious items such as the TXV, the sensor bulb, compressor, reversing valve. I would appreciate if someone could clarify if this is a muffler or filter drier. If it is a muffler then where would the factory installed filter drier be placed?

If no filter drier was installed during the change out of the compressor, I'm guessing that this could have contributed to the sudden demise now of the TXVs due to either moisture or possible debris that entered the system during the removal/replacement of the compressor. Would this be a reasonable assumption given how young this entire system is?

Thanks,

R.T.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    That is a filter drier installed before the expansion valve and it looks as if it has been replaced. You may want another tech as this one seems confused.

Post Likes
    That's a filter drier, kinda odd for someone to go back in with an OEM factory style filter drier when doing a compressor replacement...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjune54 View Post
    That is a filter drier installed before the expansion valve and it looks as if it has been replaced. You may want another tech as this one seems confused.
    I agree that this tech is confused. So what would be contributing to the early failure of these TXVs? Could this be possibly due to the compressor failure and inadequate cleanup of the debris in the system? Or does A.S. typically have TXVs fail as soon as the warranty expires? What should be the normal life expectancy for these TXVs?

Post Likes
    The filter drier that was listed on the original warranty invoice for replacement was a DHY01452. I could not find a specific picture of this but did notice that this particular filter drier is for a 5.7 ton rated unit although I have a 2 ton system. Does this look like the specified DHY01452 and does having one larger than original create any other problems?

Post Likes
    the drier was not changed when the compressor was ,poor practice although it happens

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Homewatcher View Post
    The filter drier that was listed on the original warranty invoice for replacement was a DHY01452. I could not find a specific picture of this but did notice that this particular filter drier is for a 5.7 ton rated unit although I have a 2 ton system. Does this look like the specified DHY01452 and does having one larger than original create any other problems?
    no problem with the size drier, i would have put an aftermarket drier outside of the unit but what was done is fine. Are you just looking for some grounds to have this company fix your unit for free, if so it's not their equipment that is broken. I hate when a customer acts like because i fixed your broken unit then it breaks again then i'm the one who caused it. It's a machine, they break.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    no problem with the size drier, i would have put an aftermarket drier outside of the unit but what was done is fine. Are you just looking for some grounds to have this company fix your unit for free, if so it's not their equipment that is broken. I hate when a customer acts like because i fixed your broken unit then it breaks again then i'm the one who caused it. It's a machine, they break.
    So then the machine should be breaking down every few years so I can continue to spend hundreds of dollars on it? Trane and American Standard are not considered to be necessarily the bottom of the barrel brands. All of my neighbors' packaged heat pumps have performed well for years without any of these kinds of issues. I would suggest that there is something definitely wrong with this unit to have these many problems on a 5 1/2 year old unit. The manufacturer of TXVs (Sporlan Valve) reports that these valves typically fail because of the presence of dirt, debris, moisture or sludge in the system. Many other HVAC professionals have suggested that these items get typically introduced into these systems when they are opened up by field service people and if not properly evacuated or cleaned up, these problems will generally occur later on. Based upon this research, the consensus is that this probably was due to the multiple times that the unit has been opened up, repaired, evacuated and recharged by the HVAC contractor. A 5 1/2 year old heat pump should not be having these kinds of serious issues.