+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 68 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model S Hits the Road

Post Likes

Tesla Model S Hits the Road

Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

2. Likes Freezerdoctor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yea,a new battery is $25,000 nice!

4. Likes Missouri Guy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That things a POS. Sorry man but electric cars dont cut it. They've been working on them for about 60 years and they're still junk. Look at top gears critique of the Tesla.

Battery technology is decades away from making them practical and they're NOT a green alternative because mining and manufacturing the batteries causes mass amounts of pollution.

Hydrogen fuel cell is the future, not batteries.

6. Likes Missouri Guy, Fla.HP, bigdmike liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Tesla builds their own batteries. I don't think they build them from scratch, though.

Tesla has a $12,000 prepaid battery replacement option, but if you fail to keep it charged and it turns into a "brick," it'll cost you $40,000. There is no insurance available for EV battery replacement. There is no warranty for bricks. A generator would be a good investment.

http://theunderstatement.com/post/18...stating-design

Tesla expects its battery to last seven years. With the $12,000 prepaid battery option, Tesla charges you an extra $2,000 per year under 7 years, and pays you $1,000 per year over 7 years.

Tesla says its battery will retain 70% of its capacity after 7 years. By then, battery technology will have improved quite a bit, and prices will have dropped. A car with a 300-mile range would only go 210 miles. A car with a 230-mile range would go 160 miles. So if you drive 180 miles a day, you would expect to get the 300-mile battery (at an additional cost of $10,000 over the 230-mile battery), you would expect to sell the car in less than four years, or you would try to extend the range by driving slowly and avoiding jackrabbit starts.

EV owners say that with careful driving, the range can be extended as much as 25%. Putting this together, a 300-mile battery pushed to 400 miles and then reduced to 70% means a maximum possible range after 7 years of 280 miles. So a seven year life wouldn't necessitate a great loss off range.

The model S starts at $50,000 for the 160-mile car. With options, it can cost over $100,000.

If you are not rich and you want to step up to an alternate energy car, you would be better off considering a hybrid, a natural gas, or a diesel.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Clarification: that's a 25% margin, not markup.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    not to mention the coal u have to burn to produce electricity, or god for bid, fire up a nuclear reactor.
    Stupid hippy fantasy.
    With out cold fusion, this technology is dead.

Post Likes
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    i didnt even look at the links, but what Six and Punisher said was spot on. Not to mention the disposal aspect of the batteries. Punisher, also brings up a good point many electric plants operate on 40-60 year old technology. Electricity is not nearly as clean to produce with most forms of current production, as people would or are lead to believe.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...uestion481.htm Don't forget to factor in the lose from the length of power lines :-)

wish i could find the pic of train cars loaded with coal headed to plants. Most without the scrubbers.

edit: looked at links that car looks sweet

Post Likes
    First... would the poster who thinks nuke plants are bad... please explain why? Verifiable details only please.

IMO batteries have a LONG way to go before elec cars will be a viable solution to personal transportation. The need for better laptop and cell phone batteries will drive the need... regardless of EV cars... however IMO do not expect a breakthrough soon (like not for at least a few years).

What I do find interesting is: Every time we have an economic boom, energy seems to get scarce... then we have an economic downturn and energy conservation becomes trendy. Then when the economy starts to tick again we magically have endless energy... anyone see a curious pattern here which should be investigated?

So if this pattern will play out again (as it has in the past), we will see EV cars as not being a viable solution until the next economic boom turns int a bust....
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Just ran across this:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    I'm all for electric cars, but we need a number of things to happen before they are viable enough to exist as a significant percentage of the vehicles on the road.
    Better batteries.
    A better power grid.
    A massive expansion in clean, efficient, relatively low cost nuclear power generation.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    First... would the poster who thinks nuke plants are bad... please explain why? Verifiable details only please.
    As a big fan of nuclear power generation, I'm interested in his response too.

Anyone who believes wind and solar are the answers is grossly ignorant of what it takes to run a power grid.
    Also, cold fusion = fantasy land.

If you want cleaner air, cleaner water, and relatively inexpensive and abundant energy, there needs to be a massive expansion of nuclear power generation in the US.

Post Likes
    I took these pics at the Houston Galleria back in December. Tesla has small showroom with a Model S on display. Without getting into the viability and politics of electric cars, the vehicle is impressive. I did a little looking around their website and the base models go for about $90K and the fully loaded Model S around $130K. This is before any tax rebates or incentives.

The engineering is nothing short of remarkable. The drive-train is beautiful in it's simplicity and precision. The actually have a cut away electric motor that you can play with, it's close to 400HP. There is no transmission, just the motor and battery. The interior is on par with a Mercedes and it's just plain cool.

Notice the pics that show the body lifted off the frame. The battery resides there giving the car a low center of gravity and according to Tesla exceptional handling.

If there is one on display near you I urge you go see it and sit inside. While very few people can afford it now, it is very likely the technology of the future.

Name:  Tesla 01.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  38.8 KBName:  Tesla 02.jpg
Views: 2965
Size:  33.8 KBName:  Tesla 03.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  35.7 KBName:  Tesla 04.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Tesla 05.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  37.4 KBName:  Tesla 06.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  17.7 KBName:  Tesla 07.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  38.6 KBName:  Tesla 08.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  38.1 KB
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

Ż`·.¸¸ .·´Ż`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´Ż`·.¸ ¸.·´Ż` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´Ż`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Very cool, now Tesla just needs to make an EV for the rest of us...

Post Likes
    Even Boeing is having trouble with batteries, it's a POS!!!

Post Likes
    I can see the headline.Man spends over 100k on car,burns down his house while charging!

Post Likes
    The guy who heads up Tesla, which BTW is also the guy that heads up SpaceX (who has successfully launched satellites), says there is a reason Boeing's batteries are faulty... and offered to help Boeing.

The batteries are not the issue... something else is.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Why are you guys being so negative about this technology? It is in its infancy. Do you know how well the first refrigerator worked? As soon as the ice melted, it didn't. Same with A/C. Yeh, this battery tech has a long way to go, but give it a chance for gosh sakes.

I for one am totally behind this guy and the effort he is putting forth to free us from the strangle hold that oil has on all of us. I think the pollution propaganda is BS. Volcano eruptions cause more damage to the environment than man possibly ever could.

I for one like to see it when someone steps out of the crowd with a new idea or innovation to make things better, even if it is not perfect yet. At least he is trying to move in a more positive direction. And I applaud his efforts.

Yeh, $100k + is a lot for a luxury car that I can't afford, but then again there are systems that I put in for my customers that I could not afford to put in my house ... yet.

So I say back this guy up in his efforts to make things better and quit saying how bad it all is or that it will never work.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 68 123456781151 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in