Thread: Need advice on HVAC for detached garage/workshop

Post Likes
    I need some professional advice on possible solutions for a detached garage I am building that I want to use as a climate controlled workshop. The garage is about 21 ft. long by 18 ft. wide with a high ceiling (unfortunately) about 12 feet high. I am having the walls insulated and have upgraded to an insulated garage door to provide as much insulation as possible.

My super has suggested that Mitsubitshi offers products that wall mount close to the ceiling and run the drip line outside and connect to the outside unit. I am open to any suggestions or advice on manufacturers, unit size, etc.

The sheer amount of knowledge I have in this area won't fill a thimble! I live in North Florida and just want to have a workshop that keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I am waiting until we close (sometime in October) to have the system installed due to issues with permitting, etc., but want to get my ducks in a row now.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Likes
    just use one or two window units- simple and cheap

Post Likes
    I'd go with a package heatpump, without a load calc,a ton and 1/2 should do, with the ducts wall mounted. If you go with a split, you either lose floor space or have a filter at 12ft in the air,unless you lower the duct out of the attic.A 21x18 is small enough to consider a thru the wall unit also.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Is this going to be a woodshop or just a general workshop?

Reason I ask is that a woodshop generates loads of dust. Whatever source of cooling you go with will require regular filter changings and more frequent coil cleanings.

Overall I'd recommend a mini-split heat pump. I built a 16 x 22 woodshop myself and put a window shaker in one wall. No heat...I had to do that with a little oil filled electric radiator. Both did their jobs well, but the window banger was loud and it would've been nice to have both heating and cooling functions in one unit.

You're wise to insulate well...that's half the battle of making the place livable, even if it is just a workshop.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    i did one like it last year. 1 1/2 ton heat pump, split system with supplies high and he did not want the high return so i tripled his return size and went with a 5" media type . the air handler was in a little enclosed leanto away from the dust and he put his air compressor in there too and kept that noise away from his stereo system.he loves it .
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    Can't do window units due to homeowners association restrictions.

Post Likes
    It's primarily a general workshop but I will be doing a considerable amount of woodwork as well, so sawdust will be an issue. I want to ultimately install a central vaccuum system for the woodwork tools when finances permit.

Explain the difference between a split system and a heat pump package. I assume the air handler is the equipment inside the workshop that pushes the cold air out and re-circulates through the cold air return? What filter issues will I have to be aware of in a woodworking shop?

Micdundee, good to see I'm not the only guy who wants to enjoy his stereo in the workshop!

Sorry for the stupid questions but remember, I'm not very astute in this area!!