Thread: Ameristar or American Standard 13 SEER 2.5 ton units

Post Likes

Confused Ameristar or American Standard 13 SEER 2.5 ton units

Hi,

I've found a contractor that I like who has given me two choices for the replacement of my AC condenser and matching inside evaporator coils with a TXV. It'll be a 13 SEER 2.5 ton A/C system for use in West Lafayette, Indiana. I'm having trouble finding specs on the Ameristar system that he quoted to me, so I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy the American Standard model instead. The contractor seemed to think so, but I'd like a second opinion. What are the differences, and is the AS model worth the extra 15% price premium? It looks like the AS model is louder than Ameristar so the cheaper product might be better? But the AS model does have all aluminium expansion coils which are more reliable?

Another question: Is there much of a performance difference between 15 foot and 10 foot linesets? We have the option of turning around the coils so that the lines go out the back of the unit (there is plenty of clearance between the wall and the back of the unit, reducing the total length by about five feet.

(edit): Do all of these models have high and low pressure sensors, and other safety equipment so that I don't accidentally fry anything when the system fails?

The model numbers for the condensers are M4AC3030A1000A and 4A7A3030D1000A. I'm planning on continuing to use the existing Amana 80% furnace from 1996.

I did get some other quotes for Goodman (same price as the Ameristar), Carrier (same price as the American Standard), and Lennox 13ACX-030 (a bit more expensive), but I like the American Standard contractor best.

Thanks!
    Nathan
    Last edited by pigrew; 05-31-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added extra question

Post Likes
    Stick to a name you have heard of before that way parts are avalible when needed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Stick to a name you have heard of before that way parts are avalible when needed
    My understanding is that the American Standard and and Ameristar brands are both owned by Trane, and thus I should trust them? Or I am wrong?

Post Likes
    The M4AC is a rebadged Midea, some Chinese POS. I wouldn't touch it. The 4A7A is one of the nicer 13 SEER units out there. I don't recall them to be particularly noisy (or quiet) as they usually come with a swept wing fan blade. I'm thinking it comes with both pressure switches but my dealernet password is screwed up so I can't check tonight.

www.ameristarac.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pigrew View Post
    My understanding is that the American Standard and and Ameristar brands are both owned by Trane, and thus I should trust them? Or I am wrong?
    You have it backwards, Trane was owned by American Standard.
    Moot point though, since Ingersol Rand bought out American Standard.

The Ameristar units are made in China. They look like some of the better made in China equipment, but I won't sell any, even if it turns out to be great equipment.

Post Likes
    Ok, so they're all actually owned by Ingersol Rand now...

I'm leaning towards the American Standard model, but I'm having trouble justifying it other than "It has `america' in its name". My Chinese coworkers are saying that they generally favor Media and Haier. What data I can see (as a non-HVAC industry person) said that the ameristar's sound rating is 74 while the American Standard's is 76. I assume that this negligible difference. The warranties and efficiencies are the same. Also, the Ameristar model says it has a scroll compressor.... even though it is lower cost than the American Standard. Thanks!

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=pigrew;13400591]Ok, so they're all actually owned by Ingersol Rand now...

I'm leaning towards the American Standard model, but I'm having trouble justifying it other than "It has `america' in its name". My Chinese coworkers are saying that they generally favor Media and Haier. Some people just want cheap ,also the chinese are out to brake us , Go with the american standard unit

Post Likes
    My vote is the American standard/Trane unit!!! The Amerstar is a unit that Trane has in there line up to get back into the new home market as they have lost a lot of business in that area over the years.

There 1st attempt in the past 3 years was the XB300 unit which was a big disappointment. The Amerstar is there 2nd attempt. I hope it works for them but I want be installing them. Give me the old XB13 Trane/American Standards any day. A tried and true unit that when installed properly will give you many years of service!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    There 1st attempt in the past 3 years was the XB300 unit which was a big disappointment.
    Yeah, even if the construction of the unit was not questionable, marketing a unit that requires very specific and unique charging procedures in order to work properly to segments of the industry that typically have the least trained personnel was a bad idea...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Yeah, even if the construction of the unit was not questionable, marketing a unit that requires very specific and unique charging procedures in order to work properly to segments of the industry that typically have the least trained personnel was a bad idea...
    Agreed if for a trained tech that was thought the proper way to charge a system was told to basically throw out the charging methods and do it a different way. I told my techs it was not worth the head ache. We have just stuck to XB 13 model and adjusted price as needed.

Simply but it is is worth the little extra $$$ to install the XB model And charge it as they were thought then trying to save a few bucks but add extra labor to the job.