+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get off the roof once working in commercial

Post Likes
    chillers route work if you're in bigger center with lots of older high rise bldg/condo. but if you're in endless sea of big box store good luck finding the chiller that doesn't cool beverage only.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    I work for an In-House Maintenance team for a local owner of the McDonald's here, and I'm on the roof about 50% of the time when in one of the restaurants when having to work on either a ice machine, walkin cooler, walkin freezer, and RT units. There have been some days when I'm on the roof for my whole 8 hour shift.

Post Likes
    I'd rather work on a roof, than deal with ceiling tiles doing controls work.....

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    What skills can you recommend learning to avoid having to use extension ladders and working on roofs in commercial hvac.
    What, and miss all the fun.

I love my ladder. I will take a ladder and a hot roof over a crawl space any day.

You just have to be smart on how to use it.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    What skills can you recommend learning to avoid having to use extension ladders and working on roofs in commercial hvac.
    Ive been doing commercial for 20 years and still get on roofs.

From chillers to package units to working in office building mechanical rooms and in false cielings on VAVs, CAVs, BAS, pumps, starters, VFDs etc I tried to be as diverse and knowledgable as possible in my field and so should any Commercial tech.

There is nothing wrong with working on a roof.

The worst thing you could do is marginalize your self by thinking your "above" doing a certain job in your field.

Ive got 200 ton air cooled chillers on roofs and water towers I'm responsible for.

How do you tell your employer you're too good for roof tops?

Post Likes

rp

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Not to be rude but in commercial hvac your gonna have to climb a ladder and lug 1/2 of your van on the roof from time to time.
    So true about lugging 1/2 of your van on the roof right from the edge by your self. You have to force yourself to get used to the hieghts.It's part of the trade.Are you afraid of hieghts ?

Post Likes
    work in the major cities and the ladder gets traded in for a frieght elevator with a stairs walk up.. that is why you travel lite and hit the passenger ones to get into the spaces for breakdowns.this pix a rare drive the van up to the roof and be in the middle of 2500 tons of TRANE rooftops..left the truck running all the time during a summer breakdown
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Own the company and you can have your employees get on the roofs for you.

Post Likes
    Well, I don't know about everybody else, but I use the force.

Hope that helps!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    a 5 gallon bucket is tool bag of choice working on the roofs.the easiest i did service on were the KMART stores.all had walk up stairs and just a sea of units all the same brands per store...but there had to be that one store with the ladder mounted 4" off the cinder block wall with a 40' climb up and over the hatch opening...that is a "tools in the pocket" breakdown
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Own the company and you can have your employees get on the roofs for you.
    Best answer prize!

I still have to go on roofs though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    What, and miss all the fun.

I love my ladder. I will take a ladder and a hot roof over a crawl space any day.

You just have to be smart on how to use it.
    Me too why would you want to get off the roof? Nobody else to bother you all the sunshine you can stand. Of course I have a tool shed on my roof so I don't drag my stuff up and down everyday either...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Just get out of the bussiness if roofs are too tough for you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    The fun part is setting up the ladder, tying it off, climbing up and then dropping the rope to pull all of your crap up! Lol
    Learned that the "hard" way.. Since then, I'd find something to tie the end of the rope off to, on the roof.

To the OP: What's wrong with rooftops? Fresh air, sunshine, you don't have a peanut gallery looking over your shoulder.. As far as I'm concerned, I could do 100% rooftops from April to November

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Chillers and controls are the only two jobs that will keep you off the roof at least 75% of the time.

No one job in this trade will keep you off the roof 100% of the time.

Why are you asking?
    Even Chillers are still often cooled by cooling towers... which are frequently up on the roof. The sensors for contrals are mounted locally... usually in a airhandler, which, darn it... is on the stinking roof.

My favorite problem at our main office building is when we have a pwoer blip, we lose teh VFD on the main air handler. So you have to reset the VFD, then run up to the roof and reset the static pressure switch (sicne the command was for 60HZ and it can't catch itself), then run back down and reset the VFD again. Yes.. I know I know it needs some reprogramming but the Tracer Summit guys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Not to be rude but in commercial hvac your gonna have to climb a ladder and lug 1/2 of your van on the roof from time to time.
    ...and you will always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hafta climb back down at least one time to get one more tool...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    How do you tell your employer you're too good for roof tops?
    I don't know, but we've got one guy that apparently has it figured out. Any time he has to do something involving a roof, another tech gets sent to help. I HATE extension ladders, but I suck it up and get the job done.

Post Likes
    Tell your boss it's to windy to put up your extension ladder!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Tell your boss it's to windy to put up your extension ladder!
    Done that many times. Had a few ladders blow over on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Boiler work.

I'd rather climb a ladder than stairs. My knees are messed up and recently my left knee started making a clicking noise. Doesn't happen on ladders only stairs.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in