Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2 years Lennox Heatpump , compressor fail !

Post Likes
    Just a quick follow up of my situation.

I've made someone else come to check the system. He noticed that the compressor won't turn on, he turn of the fan and we can clearly hear the compressing huming (i don't exactly know how to desctibe it). The guy told me that the compressor is ''mecanically stuck'' and have to be change. I ask him what can i have cause this and he said ''many things, we'll have a better idea when the compresor is changed''. He doesn't question the warranty or anything.

From now what can Happen ? If they put the new compressor and found the (reversing ?) valve is stuck on B are they gonna charge me the compressor plus the new valve ? My fear is that i have to pay $$$$$ for the new compressor to be install and that will have to pay at least the same amount to have the reversing valve change after that.

whats your thoughts about it ?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-08-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaky View Post
    Just a quick follow up of my situation.

I've made someone else come to check the system. He noticed that the compressor won't turn on, he turn of the fan and we can clearly hear the compressing huming (i don't exactly know how to desctibe it). The guy told me that the compressor is ''mecanically stuck'' and have to be change. I ask him what can i have cause this and he said ''many things, we'll have a better idea when the compresor is changed''. He doesn't question the warranty or anything.

From now what can Happen ? If they put the new compressor and found the (reversing ?) valve is stuck on B are they gonna charge me the compressor plus the new valve ? My fear is that i have to pay $$$$$$$ for the new compressor to be install and that will have to pay at least the same amount to have the reversing valve change after that.

whats your thoughts about it ?
    Did the second dealer make any attempt to make the compressor run or did he just turn it on ad listen to it hum?

There are several things that can be done to start the compressor and determine that the compressor is indeed bad.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-08-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Pricing in quote

Post Likes
    Iknow that he plug something he called a booster to try to make it start. It was kind of a black cylinder of 5 or 6 inch long with 2 wires on it. Obviously that didn't work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaky View Post
    Iknow that he plug something he called a booster to try to make it start. It was kind of a black cylinder of 5 or 6 inch long with 2 wires on it. Obviously that didn't work.
    That within itself would not be conclusive.

Did you try the dealer locator in the index for a dealer near you?

You could also post you geographical area and there may be someone here that can help you.

Post Likes
    You talk about the lennox dealers ? Both were on the list. I doubt that there's someone near me here but that would be great. I'm from the suburbs of Montreal.

Post Likes
    2 techs have checked it. Sounds like a locked rotor.

My concern is tostaky. Your reversing valve is stuck? Or is it that you still have your stat set to B? If your stat is the reason, ask the tech to check your sub programming, because when it went out you messed with it trying to get it to go. He'll fix it and tell you to stay out of that area. If the reversing valve is mechanincally stuck he needs to know that so he can replace it while he has the unit apart. It will be and additional cost but less than if he has to pull it all apart again.

AGAIN NO PRICING ALLOWED TO BE POSTED
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    2 techs have checked it. Sounds like a locked rotor.

My concern is tostaky. Your reversing valve is stuck? Or is it that you still have your stat set to B? If your stat is the reason, ask the tech to check your sub programming, because when it went out you messed with it trying to get it to go. He'll fix it and tell you to stay out of that area. If the reversing valve is mechanincally stuck he needs to know that so he can replace it while he has the unit apart. It will be and additional cost but less than if he has to pull it all apart again.

AGAIN NO PRICING ALLOWED TO BE POSTED
    Thanks too all for yours answers.

Sorry about the price.

In fact i don't know about the valve. What i know is that now is on O (like it should) on the thermostat. The first one that came told me it was stuck on B but at that time it was on B on my tstat too. I don't know if putting it back to O change something or not on the reversing valve since he haven't check the results of putting back to O on the tstat. For him the problem was the compressor .

Is there a way the tech that gonna came to change the compressor can see if there's actually a problem with that valve even if my compressor isn't working ?

I can't tell to this guy''oh when you came I forgot to mention you that another guy told me that me reversing valve is stuck on b maybe because i've play with the Tstat which maybe cause the compressor to fail''.

Does the reversing valve is a common thing to check ? I mean, if it was stuck should the guy that came here today seen it ?

Post Likes
    Setting the reversing valve to B instead of O could damage the compressor, but it's replacment should still be covered. You'll maybe be responsible for labor, freon, etc. and this all may total what you listed. I'd call Lennox customer service and see what they say!!!

Post Likes
    you flipped the stat from o to b and see where it got you> be it your fault or not realy doesnt matter IMO. I would think that by now you would understand the problems self diadnosing can cause

let the tech find any other problem and sorry to be so blunt but keep your mouth shut or you will be paying the full frieght

lesson learned and warrenty is in affect leave there

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    you flipped the stat from o to b and see where it got you> be it your fault or not realy doesnt matter IMO. I would think that by now you would understand the problems self diadnosing can cause

let the tech find any other problem and sorry to be so blunt but keep your mouth shut or you will be paying the full frieght

lesson learned and warrenty is in affect leave there
    I agree with Tin... And your worries are most likey not warranted. Your stat is set at what it is suppose to be, O.

In any senerio here the issue isn't the RV now. Its not going to shift by itself. So it was in correct position. If the unit was dead then you shifted it, the unit wasn dead already or the unit was running you shifted it and killed the unit. Bottom line the its back where its suppose to be.

Post Likes
    So there's chance that unit shift to O when the compressor is change giving that is on O on the thermostat ?

Post Likes
    The heat pump will not "shift" at all unless the compressor is up and running. The reversing valve is operated by freon pressure differential switched by the voltage from the O or B terminal depending on HP brand.

Post Likes
    Just going by what you've told us it sounds like the compressor was locked up
    before you ever touched the t-stat. I have a hard time believing changing the RV terminal operation for a short time would cause a compressor to lock up.
    There is no way to be sure about the RV until you have the compressor up & running so there is always a chance it could be bad but not very likely. Either way an RV failure would have nothing to do with the t-stat setup.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    This thing is becoming ridiculous, Now the last guy that came told me that when he enter my serial number to claim my compressor the system tell him that my ''warranty isn't valid anymore and that he doesn't know why, it's the firts time that he saw that ''. So i've call Lennox Canada and Dallas costumer service and they told me that there's nothing on my files that show that but they can't do anything more.

From now...?

Post Likes
    Is there anyone here (probably a contractor) who have access to Lennox warranty and can check that thing for me ? That's becoming very hard for my nerves. Thanks a lot for your help !

Post Likes
    Post the model and serial number.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    Post the model and serial number.
    I can do that here ? Is it safe ?

Model: xp13-024-230-05
    Serial: 5810c11071

Post Likes
    LOL... I would think you would ask that and then wait for an answer before posting the model and serial number.

Yes, its safe.

Post Likes
    Lennox says its a 2010 model with a 10 year compressor warranty and 5 year parts. Theirs no issue with your warranty or notes.

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot for that answer. That's exactly what lennox told me when i've called them. Where do you get that information Tempted ? Is it possible that the company i've called have another answer because they are an official Lennox Dealer ? Maybe they have access to another system with more information on it ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in