View Poll Results: Which brand(s) of ducted residential HVAC Equipment do you currently carry

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Standard

15 18.07%
  • Bryant

9 10.84%
  • Carrier

23 27.71%
  • Goodman/Amana

20 24.10%
  • ICP (Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire)

13 15.66%
  • Lennox

19 22.89%
  • Nordyne (Maytag, Frigidaire, Tappan, Westinghouse)

10 12.05%
  • Rheem/Ruud

18 21.69%
  • Trane

22 26.51%
  • Whirlpool

1 1.20%
  • York

12 14.46%
  • Other

14 16.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Curiosity Question On Brands You Carry

Post Likes
    I usually carry Ruger but have at times used Smith,Colt,Beretta
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Amana when it was top o the line before it got sold and resold. Now Ruud.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So, with Goodman being the most installed residential brand, how do you react to when you are needed to service a Goodman system? Do you inform the consumer that you "hate" their units?
    No I don't say anything but I have had to straighten a lot of fins of the condensers because there own coil guards rub on the coils and there air handler doors screws come stripped out from the factory. Oh yeah and taking the top off a package unit to inspect the coil and it pretty much falls apart.

But if they ask me my opinion of goodman I am not going to tell them its a quality product.

The components are okay but they are made of the thinnest metal and just thrown together. I also don't know why you would want a unit that still has a piston MD. In our market you get a goodman because A thats what the builder used or B you want it done cheap.

There are plenty of Hvac companys that will do it cheap. But we take the time to do it right and make sure the duct system is right for the system and the equipment is the right size for the house

For people who cant afford a trane we offer ICP my only complaints with those is the coil guards rattle on the package units.

Post Likes
    Also I just tuned up goodman yesterday when I was done she was running like a champ the original "quality" installer never bothered to add any refrigerant for the 60' line set

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Amana was only ever sold to Goodman.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinAdv View Post
    No I don't say anything but I have had to straighten a lot of fins of the condensers because there own coil guards rub on the coils and there air handler doors screws come stripped out from the factory. Oh yeah and taking the top off a package unit to inspect the coil and it pretty much falls apart.

But if they ask me my opinion of goodman I am not going to tell them its a quality product.

The components are okay but they are made of the thinnest metal and just thrown together. I also don't know why you would want a unit that still has a piston MD. In our market you get a goodman because A thats what the builder used or B you want it done cheap.

There are plenty of Hvac companys that will do it cheap. But we take the time to do it right and make sure the duct system is right for the system and the equipment is the right size for the house

For people who cant afford a trane we offer ICP my only complaints with those is the coil guards rattle on the package units.
    There was about a year where the louvers were too close to the coils and damaged the fins, but that has been resolved. I agree with the stripped out screws, but not a bad enough issue to hate the brand.

In my heat pump Frankensystem I am using a nominal 3.5 ton 13 SEER indoor Goodman coil with an Amana ECM blower section connected to a 14.5 SEER rated Luxair heat pump. It has been working really great for two years now, and I am still running it with a piston in the indoor coil. Go figure. Seems like some of us don't have the issues with brands that others have....
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinAdv View Post
    Also I just tuned up goodman yesterday when I was done she was running like a champ the original "quality" installer never bothered to add any refrigerant for the 60' line set
    See there! It isn't the brand, it's the installation.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    we carry Lennox and York.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Amana was only ever sold to Goodman.
    Yes but I think after that Goodman was gobbled up and the line began saving even more money.

Post Likes
    In order from most to least; Lennox, Trane, Goodman, Carrier, and Rheem. Carrier is crawling back into the race with their 90% and multi-stage equipment. Used to carry York and Payne but phased them out.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes

We see a lot of old Amanas chugging along here.

I don't know for sure when they where purchased by Gooman, but we are replacing heat exchangers all the time on Amanas from around 1999 and newer. Some of them only 6 years old! I am down to an hour for an AMH, AMS or AMV HX changeout.

What is real nice (sarcasm), is the Amana came with SS heat exchanger, but when you buy a replacement under warranty it is just an aluminized.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post

We see a lot of old Amanas chugging along here.

I don't know for sure when they where purchased by Gooman, but we are replacing heat exchangers all the time on Amanas from around 1999 and newer. Some of them only 6 years old! I am down to an hour for an AMH, AMS or AMV HX changeout.

What is real nice (sarcasm), is the Amana came with SS heat exchanger, but when you buy a replacement under warranty it is just an aluminized.
    that seems wrong

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    that seems wrong
    Probably cause the SS process was why they were cracking or splitting or whatever is happening to them. Lennox began doing the same things with their coated Duracracks.

I probably have fifty Amana units from 20 years ago still running with the original inducers. The kind that needed Anderoil that seldom get oiled. IMHO one of the better 80% units ever made. Period.

Post Likes
    No, it isn't the SS part that fails. It is the hot side of the secondary, or recoup coil. Right where the tubular primary enters the secondary. The part that rusts through is the non SS part of the secondary. Notice all the flaked off rust. About 85% of them are 2 stage models, and 15% single stage. And about 70% are LP and 30% are NG. The NG and LP models fail in the same way and there is no noticeable difference between the two when you take them apart.

Two different conditions are contributing to this failure. One is the post purge is too short on the inducer motor allowing the corrosive flue gases to remain in the HX after post purge where they can eat the metal. Another problem is that they are badly underfired, for example a 90KBTU usually is only firing at 75K to 85K at factory settings. This allows some condensing in the hot side of the secondary, especially on the 2 stage models.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info and pics.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info and pics.
    No problem.

They are tough to see on an inspection, especially with an A-coil on top. They start tripping rollouts eventually. You can see it with a combustion analyzer too.

Post Likes

Smile

Iwoke up from a weekend of fun with a Rockin' B branded on my right rear cheek. Never figured out who did that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crymtide View Post
    Iwoke up from a weekend of fun with a Rockin' B branded on my right rear cheek. Never figured out who did that.
    It was Bob! He just didn't have time to put another b on the other cheek so that when you bent over it spelled his name....

.).. (
    (BoB)
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I'm curious if you Bryant and Carrier dealers are selling the coils made by ADP "CE coils" with your main line equipment or are you going with the regular Bryant/Carrier branded coils?

I have been installing the Tempstar coils and since they've gone to the tin coated coils the leaks don't seem to be an issue, but I've also heard that Bryant/Carrier still has a lot of problems.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Goodman. I put in the GMV or the GMVC95 with a 14 seer or up. If I have any problems, its covered for 10 years. If the compressor fails, its covered for life. Seems to me if you just set it up right and throw a good filter on it, it will run for a long time. I started 5 years ago, before that I was trained by my father, and we do not have any problems out of the ordinary. I have had one bad compressor in five years, and I am still waiting to change an ignitor on any unit I have put in. Biggest problem was the capilary lines on the coil, but if you take a couple minutes to keep em tight, it seems to help a lot. I would like to see them have the sleeves over them. I think that is what York does. Now all of my customers enjoys slashing the bill by on average a 1/3 and have a unit that would otherwise cost quite a bit more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in