+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clearance from dryer vent?

Post Likes

Clearance from dryer vent?

Is there a code or anything from Carrier/Bryant that says exactly how far a residential condensing unit needs to be from a dryer vent?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Is there a code or anything from Carrier/Bryant that says exactly how far a residential condensing unit needs to be from a dryer vent?
    When in doubt I use 3'

Exhaust pipes 3' from an opening
    electrical clearance 3'
    safety harness on 3' from the edge of a roof

Post Likes
    I thought it was in rnc code that it was to be within 6” of a dryer vent. Seem like the norm anyway
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Common sense should trump building codes occasionally

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Common sense should trump building codes occasionally
    Then you wouldn't have inspectors...……...They have none!

Post Likes
    There is nothing in the 2018 or earlier Editions of the IMC which addresses how far away your dryer exhaust duct should be located from the condenser unfortunately. I would never want the dryer exhaust duct located on the same side of the house or building as your condenser or condensers.

Several years ago there was a commercial dryer exhaust duct located about 40' from a 5 ton condenser on the same side of the hotel and there was a wall approximately 9' out from the said building. Well the condenser got clogged up severely after just a month or so of operation with link from the exhaust and ran very high discharge pressure causing the unit not to cool properly.

The same thing will happen to a home exhaust dryer duct if put on the same side as the condenser. We had to move the exhaust vent approximately 15 feet to the adjacent side of the hotel. Anyhow you will always have a problem with condenser coils fouling up if there is a vent anywhere nearby. Just like you should keep your condenser at least 3' from the side of the house so the side of the coil near the house will not foul up bad. So just know what you are dealing with here. IMHO the code should address this issue but it never has. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    I have a commercial account. My competitor had them convinced that the roof top units had a safety that they shut down when the ambient hit 95°F. We washed all the lint out, the roof they were mounted on was a laundry mat!

8. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes

Panty hose filter time.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post

Panty hose filter time.
    Are you saying to roll a panty hose over the condensing unit? That's a great idea! Next time I go to Walmart maybe I'll see if they have some in extra extra big lady size.

Post Likes
    Had this one unit shortly after I started where I am now a few years back. On the same roof as a laundromat. Plugged coil, and since it had been 'pressure washed' so many times, fins smashed together. So even if it was clean, only 20% air would move through the outdoor coil.

Gave a quote for something like 6 or 8 hrs to straighten and clean.

Both my boss and customer about puked.

Told them there was nothing I could do until proposal approved.

Boss ended up sending out two or three other guys. Then me again maybe two or three times.

I kept telling them the same thing.

They finally let me do my thing. After paying even more over the course of a year or so. LOL
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Had this one unit shortly after I started where I am now a few years back. On the same roof as a laundromat. Plugged coil, and since it had been 'pressure washed' so many times, fins smashed together. So even if it was clean, only 20% air would move through the outdoor coil.

Gave a quote for something like 6 or 8 hrs to straighten and clean.

Both my boss and customer about puked.

Told them there was nothing I could do until proposal approved.

Boss ended up sending out two or three other guys. Then me again maybe two or three times.

I kept telling them the same thing.

They finally let me do my thing. After paying even more over the course of a year or so. LOL
    All day long with an upside down bucket and a pocket screw driver? I've been there before, but it was an entire roof full of hail damaged rooftop units. You find out pretty quick that the fin combs that are made for that purpose don't really help much.

Hey, I just thought of something. I wonder if panty hose over the head could be a good substitute for a N95 mask. I think I'm gonna try it.

13. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, it takes time with a screw driver, but a lot cleaner in the end than with some other tool.

Regarding your panty hose idea, maybe try it at a convenience store first.

All day long with an upside down bucket and a pocket screw driver? I've been there before, but it was an entire roof full of hail damaged rooftop units. You find out pretty quick that the fin combs that are made for that purpose don't really help much.

Hey, I just thought of something. I wonder if panty hose over the head could be a good substitute for a N95 mask. I think I'm going to try it.

Post Likes
    Are you saying to roll a panty hose over the condensing unit? That's a great idea! Next time I go to Walmart maybe I'll see if they have some in extra extra big lady size.
    Walmart and big lady pantyhose??.....sorry all on backorder...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I have a commercial account. My competitor had them convinced that the roof top units had a safety that they shut down when the ambient hit 95°F. We washed all the lint out, the roof they were mounted on was a laundry mat!
    Ditto that!!! On one laundromat that was the last store of a 6-8 store structure,I rotated the drier rooftop vent "gooseneck" 180* to blow down the side of the bldg towards the parking lot. Problem solved.

Post Likes
    Architects and house plans + combined with penny pinchin builders + Installers who tell themselves "I can't see it from my house, besides I ain't gonna be workin on it."+ Inspectors who tell ya not to exceed 15' + Utility company clearences from meters. = Regular service work for sombody from now on.

Sounds like common sense to me.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes

Hey, I just thought of something. I wonder if panty hose over the head could be a good substitute for a N95 mask. I think I'm gonna try it.
    I use a swiss army knife backwards.

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes

Only in a Bank!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Only in a Bank!
    I'm not sure the banks around here would care very much at the moment, since only their drive thru's are open.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully robbed a bank by way of their pneumatic tube thingy.

21. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thinking about it . . .

Not rob the bank, but another's account. Too many A holes out there to discount it.

I'm not sure the banks around here would care very much at the moment, since only their drive thru's are open.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully robbed a bank by way of their pneumatic tube thingy.

Post Likes
    i do the same

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in