+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R22 to R407C change over

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
    Then I pulled a vacuum to less than 500 microns and released the refrigerant. As I was pumping it down the pressure didn't fall evenly, I think there was some moisture in the system.

The R22 outdoor unit I removed came with 3 lbs of refrigerant.

The outdoor unit I installed came with "dry 407c" meaning it had 1 lb of R407C so it could be sold as an "R407C" unit even though it often is evacuated and charged with R22.
    Dude , I've never heard of a condenser coming with 1 lb of freezon

They either come fully charged , or they are charged with Nitrogen ( DRY )

Where on earth did you find this OD unit ?

2. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Dude , I've never heard of a condenser coming with 1 lb of freezon

They either come fully charged , or they are charged with Nitrogen ( DRY )

Where on earth did you find this OD unit ?
    Yeah. Johnson controls / Guardian is shipped with nitrogen and I don't know of any other brand that sells 407c units.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    This guy released nitrogen into the lineset , then added 2 lbs 407C

407C comes as a Blend , so now its a Blender ?

Or a Blend +

Or a Blend with a little extra Blend

5. Likes Mr Bill, JayMan7, QualityAssure liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you add nitrogen to 407C that blend now becomes nitroglycerin, he should put this sticker on the condenser “Charged With Explosives”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

7. Likes R600a, Snapperhead, QualityAssure liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This guy released nitrogen into the lineset , then added 2 lbs 407C

407C comes as a Blend , so now its a Blender ?

Or a Blend +

Or a Blend with a little extra Blend
    F

U

B

R

9. Likes JayMan7, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Says it’s shipped with one lb refrigerant dated 2021 under “ cost effective”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...oUqPYSVPdohyq1

Evcon which is also a York product R407C unit that comes with one lb. refrigerant

Looking for an easy way to reliably replace your current R22 condenser with something new? Since the EPA banned the loop-hole that allowed manufacturers to produce units charged with nitrogen which could be removed and replaced with R22, these York manufactured units come pre-charged with 1-LB of R407c refrigerant. R407c is the closest match to R22. Interchanges with R22 Equipment

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post

That is interesting. At least he doesn't have to worry about non condensables.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes

Evcon which is also a York product R407C unit that comes with one lb. refrigerant
    Ahh , thats Yorks elcheapo brand

Why on earth would they add 1 little lb

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

R22 to R407C change over

From my understanding, you can’t sell dry units anymore, so they have to put in some 407C and sell it as a 407C unit.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ahh , thats Yorks elcheapo brand

I added the latter paragraph about the loophole with dry charge, thinking you responded before it was updated.

Since the EPA banned the loop-hole that allowed manufacturers to produce units charged with nitrogen which could be removed and replaced with R22, these York manufactured units come pre-charged with 1-LB of R407c refrigerant.

Comes with a high pressure switch and a 5/5 warranty, says micro channel coil thou. Built in filter drier, better than a lot of models except for the warranty.

Dated 2020:

Advanced Coils Deliver Increased Cooling Efficiency and Reliable Performance
    These Systems Feature Internal Compressor Protection and External System Protection and Include a Factory Installed Filter Drier to Keep the Refrigerant Clean and Dry
    The Fan Motor is Permanently Lubricated and Does not Require an nual Servicing
    Independent Panels Provide Quick Access for Unit Setup
    Installation Time is Reduced by Easy Power and Control Wiring Access
    Two Stamped Steel Louvered Panels Protect the Coil from Mechanical Damage
    The High Efficiency Micro Channel Aluminum Coil is Manufactured Using an Improved Material System Providing Reliable Performance and Small Unit Size
    Compressors are Protected Internally by a High Pressure Relief Valve and a Temperature Sensor and Externally by the System High Pressure Switch
    The Liquid Line Filter Drier is Factory Installed to Protect the Compressor Against Moisture and Debris
    Warm Air is Blown-Up, Away from the Structure and any Landscaping and Allows Compact Location on Multi-Unit Application

Post Likes

Looking for an easy way to reliably replace your current R22 condenser with something new? Since the EPA banned the loop-hole that allowed manufacturers to produce units charged with nitrogen which could be removed and replaced with R22, these York manufactured units come pre-charged with 1-LB of R407c refrigerant. R407c is the closest match to R22. Interchanges with R22 Equipment
    Leave it to York to come up with a way to perpetuate the hack of adding a new ODU to an IDU that has lived out two lifetimes

But then the IDU outlives the York trash

Seriously though, with a shitty old system that hasn’t been maintained I say you’re probably better off just replacing the entire system. I mean it’s probably best in the long run.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Leave it to York to come up with a way to perpetuate the hack of adding a new ODU to an IDU that has lived out two lifetimes

But then the IDU outlives the York trash

Seriously though, with a shitty old system that hasn’t been maintained I say you’re probably better off just replacing the entire system. I mean it’s probably best in the long run.
    This shows you can add a cased coil ( AHRI match ) R407C, doesn’t look like they make a Air Handler, but possibly just need a modular blower, or just the generic furnace thing to get away from a Frankenstein mismatch.

https://www.guardianhomecomfort.com/...Sell-Sheet.pdf

Straight cooling, no Heat Pump models from what I can see...never installed one, just passing info along, nothing more, nothing less.

19. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If the system contained a significant amount of nitrogen, he wouldn't have gotten the numbers he posted.

21. Likes R600a, theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You’re definitely right. I think I should have kept that opening statement in mind.

I think the issue is that countless numbers of people have gotten on the forum posing as an inexperienced tech when they are actually a diyer or just simply should not be doing what they are doing...that’s the red flags I’m referring to. Now the OP could be perfectly legitimate, but the forum rules still apply.
    Anybody that comes up with the amount of info he posted, isn't a DIY...there are members in the Pro forum who post less information. And the rules are vague...how far, is too far? If someone posts a reasonable question, just reply with a reasonable answer.

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturatedpsi View Post
    If the system contained a significant amount of nitrogen, he wouldn't have gotten the numbers he posted.
    I agree, seen it when our install crew installed a 7 1/2 ton condenser and didn't dump the nitrogen before vacuum, then tried to charge with 410A. Pressures look like a bad TXV. They, York i mean may make a 407C unit because their damn evap coils are so friggin high priced, Or is that just a regional thing. Twice the cost (almost) as everyone else.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    I agree, seen it when our install crew installed a 7 1/2 ton condenser and didn't dump the nitrogen before vacuum, then tried to charge with 410A. Pressures look like a bad TXV. They, York i mean may make a 407C unit because their damn evap coils are so friggin high priced, Or is that just a regional thing. Twice the cost (almost) as everyone else.
    Not here. They are higher than Goodman but cheaper than most.

Post Likes

R22 to R407C change over

Anybody that comes up with the amount of info he posted, isn't a DIY...there are members in the Pro forum who post less information. And the rules are vague...how far, is too far? If someone posts a reasonable question, just reply with a reasonable answer.

Valid point but there’s just something kinda off. I knew I recognized the name. I mean no disrespect, but he really should apply for pro if he is a pro. Going back and reading over some stuff it’s just kinda strange as well and there are things that don’t seem to add up.

My suggestion remains the same. The focus needs to be on the indoor unit at the moment.
    Last edited by JayMan7; 05-10-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Valid point but there’s just something kinda off. I knew I recognized the name. I mean no disrespect, but he really should apply for pro if he is a pro.
    I'm kinda' strange, myself... ..but agree he'll get less grief in the Pro forum.

28. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds to me like its either non condensable in the system or the TXV has taken a crap right off the bat.

Post Likes
    I'm kinda' strange, myself...
    Kinda? Heck, I’m real strange.

31. Likes R600a, BBeerme, JayMan7, BALloyd liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in