+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier QC

Post Likes

Carrier QC

I've seen some mistakes on new units from the factory. Wires landed to the incorrect terminal, txv bulbs strapped to the wrong suction line and so on. We are in the process of installing 3, 10 ton RTUs they are 3phase but run single phase ECM condenser fan motors. The low voltage for the ECMs come off the main board. One of the fans would not run. We found both plugs have Male pins and they were just rammed in. We checked the other two new units and they were wrong also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Maybe one of those plugs identifies as a female plug. Even if the "plumbing" is incorrect, who are you to judge?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Been having issues with Carrier RTU's as well.
    Last one was flat on change ( leak at compressor suction stub ) and another has VFD issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Maybe one of those plugs identifies as a female plug. Even if the "plumbing" is incorrect, who are you to judge?
    Now that made me laugh out loud.
    I’m surprised the liberals from Berkeley haven’t started protesting molex manufacturers.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    We just did a job replacing about 27 VAVs all Carrier boxes. What a joke... spade connectors pretty much fall off the terminals. Stickers put on upside down. Garbage stuffed inside the boxes. Electric reheat coils pulled tight in some areas and bunched up and shorted in others. These are made in the US so cant blame Mexico like I can with the RTU. Would be better off buying a generic box.

Post Likes
    Here is a picture of what the pins are supposed to be.

Post Likes
    This the line that was just moved to mexico?

Post Likes
    Years ago worked on a Target change out of about 25 package units & we were starting them up. Everything went well except for one unit would instantly trip ComfortLink alarm. Three good techs couldn't find the fault & was asked to give it a try. Knew the obvious had already thoroughly checked so started chasing every wire per schematic.

Found load side of compressor A contactor went to comp B.

B contactor to comp C.

C contactor to comp A.

Upon start the CLO current relay would trip. Thought the units were tested before leaving the factory.

Not that I'm super tech, I'm guilty of getting tunnel vision every once in a while but it's good to have a fresh set of eyes look at an issue sometimes.
    "The United States is a distillation of the human spirit of exploration."
    Elon Musk

Post Likes
    male pins on both connectors from the factory. wow reminds me of where I worked as an engineer leading a team of technicians in the 90s. They got an HR employee due to a government requirement for contract bids, and suddenly all PC and sensitivty hell broke loose and they brought in a new supervisor filled with bright ideas but endowed with little technical knowledge and no common sense. This disaster was inserted between our manager and us.

A total waste because our manager already did almost nothing except sit and stare at his computer all day, hardly even moved because we knew our jobs and did them. They could have hired a couple more techs and increased output and profitability. But no, don't do that, just shoehorn more layers of management into every crevice.

Anyway the new supervisor was under pressure to document some sort of positive 'sensitivity improvement' and proclaimed that we were to say 'pins and holes' because someone might think 'male and female' connectors were sexist and be offended.

This was ridiculous and led to "holes" being mispronounced by the technicians, like that long-handled gardening implement. Not going to get into what was joked about when a new design was released using a board with a row of connectors having all the same connector shells to save expense - but they had both pins AND holes, in 5 or 6 different patterns to prevent misconnection of cables.

4 months later they hired a female tech. The guys quit the joking around out of courtesy, but it didn't take her long to dislike the term "hole" being used to replace the term "female" on general principles and we were asked to go back to the original industry standard terminology after Mr. Supervisor was advised by his boss that the electrical term "receptacle" wasn't a great idea either. The supervisor didn't like the snickering at his expense from both beneath his position and above it.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Opcom View Post
    Anyway the new supervisor was under pressure to document some sort of positive 'sensitivity improvement' and proclaimed that we were to say 'pins and holes' because someone might think 'male and female' connectors were sexist and be offended.
    That reminded me of a related story.

While at a Sonic working on an electric fryer, I saw fit to explain to the female manager why I'd need to return another day with parts. I showed her that the male/female connectors for the heating elements were melted down and no longer plug into each other.

The next day, my supervisor informed me that he'd gotten a phone call from that restaurant manager. She'd specifically requested that I was NOT to be allowed back into her restaurant because, in my conversation with her (yesterday), I had used "SEXUAL INNUENDO" - which she found to be offensive.

Post Likes
    Wait till your piping a gas line and the wrong person hears you tell your helper you need the tray of black nipples......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    That reminded me of a related story.

While at a Sonic working on an electric fryer, I saw fit to explain to the female manager why I'd need to return another day with parts. I showed her that the male/female connectors for the heating elements were melted down and no longer plug into each other.

The next day, my supervisor informed me that he'd gotten a phone call from that restaurant manager. She'd specifically requested that I was NOT to be allowed back into her restaurant because, in my conversation with her (yesterday), I had used "SEXUAL INNUENDO" - which she found to be offensive.
    Funny thing is she the one with the dirty mind

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Wait till your piping a gas line and the wrong person hears you tell your helper you need the tray of black nipples......

Happened to me and the other guys on a gas install. I was corrected ant told that they were not nipples, but pipe extenders.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I've seen some mistakes on new units from the factory. Wires landed to the incorrect terminal, txv bulbs strapped to the wrong suction line and so on. We are in the process of installing 3, 10 ton RTUs they are 3phase but run single phase ECM condenser fan motors. The low voltage for the ECMs come off the main board. One of the fans would not run. We found both plugs have Male pins and they were just rammed in. We checked the other two new units and they were wrong also.

Didn't they pack the female jumper in with the instructions?

15. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Funny thing is she the one with the dirty mind
    I got a call to a Jenny Craig the freezer was leaking water. I tell the 40 something cougar of a manager that the nipple on the drain pan is cracked. She laughs, tells me her husband is a plumber and she knows all about nipples and cocks.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Didn't they pack the female jumper in with the instructions?
    No, there should be no reason at all for that. They put the wrong ends on in the factory.

Post Likes

I know it’s childish but I snicker every time I ask my helper for a close nipple or 2” nipple, etc.

It’s even worse when I work with someone with an accent that turns “caulk” into “cock”. I couldn’t help but laugh when I heard him say: “I need more cock.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Been having issues with Carrier RTU's as well.
    Last one was flat on change ( leak at compressor suction stub ) and another has VFD issues.
    I just had a Bryant with the exact same problem. Leak at compressor suction stub. How does a leaky unit leave the factory? Added 3 hours to my install! Also, same unit had male to male wiring for the economizer.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    I just had a Bryant with the exact same problem. Leak at compressor suction stub. How does a leaky unit leave the factory? Added 3 hours to my install! Also, same unit had male to male wiring for the economizer.

It use to be each unit came with a factory run/test sheet.
    Funny how you don't see that any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I worked at a plant for a huge multinational corporation. they were informed that the electrical connection boxes on motors were no longer peckerheads, they are now pumpkinheads!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in