+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SMAN or Testo?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Over the counter exchange....I really appreciate that about FP and Testo.

That is something you can't do with DCs...get an on the spot exchange.
    Never had the need to do anything to my DCs.

Well, that's not entirely true.

When testing a Beta for the AK-900, I did have to send it back to have a programming bug sorted out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Never had the need to do anything to my DCs.

Well, that's not entirely true.

When testing a Beta for the AK-900, I did have to send it back to have a programming bug sorted out.
    JP, I think it should be pointed out that many people have many diff brands of hvac instruments. Whether they had difficulties with them are immaterial. The point is they have a local source to exchange them if they ever do encounter a malfunctioning instrument. Not taking anything away from DC, but it's a plain fact thy do not have that same convenience as other manufacturers who do have a local source where their products can be exchanged.

Post Likes
    JP, I think it should be pointed out that many people have many diff brands of hvac instruments. Whether they had difficulties with them are immaterial. The point is they have a local source to exchange them if they ever do encounter a malfunctioning instrument. Not taking anything away from DC, but it's a plain fact thy do not have that same convenience as other manufacturers who do have a local source where their products can be exchanged.
    As I think that it should be pointed out that purchasing a quality instrument should take precedent over other considerations.

Perhaps, if more techs bought a quality instrument rather than purchasing the cheapest then this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

As it is, we have a "Wal-Mart" mentality and tend to shop exclusively on price rather than looking at all considerations before making a purchase.

Again, this is my opinion. I'm sure folks that have returned their TestoMANs several times are just as happy with them after they get them back as I am with my DCs.

Post Likes
    i have a set of fp sman3 and will never go back regular guages although the next set of digitals will probably be digicools. for the most part the fp are great but the durability of mine is a issue

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    As I think that it should be pointed out that purchasing a quality instrument should take precedent over other considerations.

Perhaps, if more techs bought a quality instrument rather than purchasing the cheapest then this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

As it is, we have a "Wal-Mart" mentality and tend to shop exclusively on price rather than looking at all considerations before making a purchase.

Again, this is my opinion. I'm sure folks that have returned their TestoMANs several times are just as happy with them after they get them back as I am with my DCs.
    I did say quality was paramount. That is why I shared my knowledge of the bullet with the OP.

TestoMans? I am laughing right now...not even a little biased are you?

Post Likes
    As far as the Wal-Mart mentality...shame on guys who make tool and instrument purchases that way.

I have been in Wal-Mart once in my entire life with Uncle Clover. It was his only time too..."Any port in a storm" as the old nautical saying goes.

But then again, there are young people just starting out in this trade who can't afford better but will hopefully follow the path of quality over price when they gain the wherewithal to do so.

Post Likes
    Over the counter exchange....I really appreciate that about FP and Testo.

That is something you can't do with DCs...get an on the spot exchange.
    Yeah... over the counter exchanges are great if one needs them...

My DC 1200, which was converted to a 1250, is 7 years old now... the only issue (other than changing batteries), has been the wires and plug for the clamps. Did a custom remodel... no issues.

I have yet to see ANY other digital gauge set 7 years... for that matter I have yet to see ANY electronic test instrument other than an H10 and my SC76 last 7 years... and the SC76 does not read DC volts anymore (do not need that... so not an issue).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    A little off the subject... has anyone tried the Hilmor digital (digital/analog readouts... yet electronic sensor) manifold?

http://hilmor.com/products/electroni...-vacuum-sensor

There is another thread about this tool... wondered if anyone had seen it or tried it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    A little off the subject... has anyone tried the Hilmor digital (digital/analog readouts... yet electronic sensor) manifold?

http://hilmor.com/products/electroni...-vacuum-sensor

There is another thread about this tool... wondered if anyone had seen it or tried it...

Trade Price: $777.77

FC Price: $450.00

Shipping: Quote In Cart
    Add to Cart

Add to Wishlist
    Add to Compare

Availability: Ships by March 4, 2013 - New Item!
    Electronic Gauge with Vacuum Sensor Learn More

Post Likes
    The tool bug just bit Uncle...again.

I am fairly confident he will buy the Hilmor digitals.

Post Likes
    The tool bug just bit Uncle...again.

I am fairly confident he will buy the Hilmor digitals.
    Maybe he can write the first review on the website lol.

My digis look like there due in tomorrow, after having the flue and puking all day yesterday I have a foot of snow in my driveway to deal with today!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Maybe he can write the first review on the website lol.

My digis look like there due in tomorrow, after having the flue and puking all day yesterday I have a foot of snow in my driveway to deal with today!
    I don't think that is very likely. Uncle likes collecting the "cool" digitals (as he phrases it) but he won't write a review.

You are a Uooper and you are complaining about the winter?

Post Likes
    I don't think that is very likely. Uncle likes collecting the "cool" digitals (as he phrases it) but he won't write a review.

You are a Uooper and you are complaining about the winter?
    It's not so bad but after a long day of the flu to wake up to at least a foot of snow it's kind of crappy lol, when I looked out my window the front tire of my van is almost covered completely, if I make it out today il see how much it really is.

Post Likes
    My driveway
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361305132.485732.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  18.2 KB

Post Likes
    I did say quality was paramount. That is why I shared my knowledge of the bullet with the OP.

TestoMans? I am laughing right now...not even a little biased are you?
    Well, it was a bit of a joke on my part, so if you're laughing then I succeeded.

Post Likes
    If we are joking now I was going to suggest a drinking game every time 5646 mentions Digi-Cool or Uncle Clover
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I see this topic discussed all the time.

Which digital gauges better Testo, Fieldpiece, Digi-Cool, Yellow Jacket, Hilmor?

Well, I'm going to start a new series of threads. Each thread will be a dedicated review on each one of these.

Now, I'm nothing more than a service tech. I'm out in the field everyday doing resi, light commercial, and refrigeration. I will put each one through the paces for a week and see how they hold up. I am also going to do reviews on other tools as well.

I personally don't own all these gauges but I have a few myself and the guys I work with have the others. The Hilmor gauges may be the only ones that will be hard to get.

Keep an eye out for the first review later this week.

I hope to help those out there who just want an honest opinion on digital gauges and tools.

Post Likes
    Well it ain't a set of testomans but it will work.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361403878.504515.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  36.2 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Well it ain't a set of testomans but it will work.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361403878.504515.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  36.2 KB
    ????
    Did the mfg forget the manifold?

Post Likes
    ????
    Did the mfg forget the manifold?
    It can be ordered with or without a manifold and is packaged without a manifold.

You can use the DC manifold or use the manifold of your choice.

Mine are on YJ41 manifolds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in