+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Pepsi 1400 wd chest cooler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wec1951 View Post
    I don’t want to put gauges on again as this is a critically charged system.
    never put hose type gauges on a unit that small....ever... You buy a low side gauge and a 1/4 stub adapter that screws directly onto gauge. Now you lost 0 refrigerant

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    never put hose type gauges on a unit that small....ever... You buy a low side gauge and a 1/4 stub adapter that screws directly onto gauge. Now you lost 0 refrigerant

believe this is the yellow jacket adapter stub adapter

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/pr...ket%20Products

I went with Appion because they were slightly lower profile .....

believe the Appion part number is AY0521

Post Likes
    How do I add photos to this site? Can’t find the link to user control panel per directions.

Post Likes
    How do I add photos to this site? Can’t find the link to user control panel per directions.
    As a new Guest, I believe you need to have a minimum of 7 posts to be able to post images.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    As a new Guest, I believe you need to have a minimum of 7 posts to be able to post images.
    Thanks again👍

Post Likes
    Returned yesterday and decided to replace frayed wires. Ran unit, cut out at 33*f and cut in at 38*f, went back this morning to find the box at room temperature. Compressor is running, condenser fan running but only pulling 3 amps, seems compressor windings are opening up after unit has been running for sometime. Does anyone know what type,size,etc deck I could use to replace this one with. Model is 1400wd Pepsi Cola chest cold wall cooler 1947. Plate on the deck says: Copeland serial #1363031, model E25SB
    THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP, THE INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
    been meaning to ask you about this ...... if the compressor was running and your amperage was low, this might indicate ice build up around the capillary tube inlet due to moisture in the system, could be running normal one minute then intermittently freezing the next ..... would verify pressure equalization time to verify the capillary tube is not blocked blocked ...... if it is intermittent icing of the capillary tube both your pressures will drop, imagine amperage will also, but your superheat will rise ..... might be able to tell without a high pressure reading, is there a high pressure tap ?

could be compressor eventually went off on overload due to loss of superheat / FREON cooling the compressor ....

I wouldnt worry about the " critical charge " thats easy to get right, unless you dont have any R 12 then I wouldnt want to lose any FREON .....
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-05-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Post Likes
    Pepsi cola machine delivered.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

8. Likes pecmsg, VTP99, coolperfect liked this post.
    Post Likes
    WOW ! what a beautiful piece of equipment ! that is really something else !

I would be VERY CAREFUL working on that ....

so what is the prognosis so far ?

when it is all said and done you are going to need to somehow fabricate a fan shroud ....

do you have any R12 ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post

when it is all said and done you are going to need to somehow fabricate a fan shroud ....

do you have any R12 ?
    I would also carefully lubricate, or maybe even consider replacing ( errrr ), your temperature control so it does hang up on you and stay closed and you flood your compressor with liquid refrigerant ..... but then that one is probably better built than a newer one .....

Post Likes

do you have any R12 ?
    I do have r12 and will be back on this unit tomorrow morning. Thanks for all your advice, I will follow up with everyone as soon as possible.
    THANKS

Post Likes
    I do have r12 and will be back on this unit tomorrow morning. Thanks for all your advice, I will follow up with everyone as soon as possible.
    THANKS
    imagine it will like R12 .....

take a good look at that start relay too if you get a chance .... I replace start relays as preventive maintenance measure ..... good luck ...

Post Likes
    I’m not sure if I can even locate that old start relay, it’s all original!

Post Likes
    I’m not sure if I can even locate that old start relay, it’s all original!

lol ..... thats the concerning part !

always irritated me when other people sit back and bark out orders from behind a computer screen when they are not the ones actually doing the physical work, so I am not trying to bark out orders sitting behind a computer screen, nor do I not appreciate the extra work involved ..... but if that part fails and the compressor cant start but yet it tries to start for hours and hours as the compressor gets hotter and hotter, could damage something ..... just something you might want to consider thats all ......

would I replace it ? as much as I wouldnt want to it would probably be better that I did ..... gone this far ....

bad electrical connections / components can cause a compressor failure ........ I would just make sure I had the replacement part in hand first, from the wiring diagram looks like there is one, I would take a mirror and double check, besides need to look at the other electrical connections ....

but then it could be fine for another 2 or 10 or 20 years for all anybody knows ... 6 of one half dozen of the other ....

looking at them pictures again, that is amazing !
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Post Likes
    Pulled the r12, removed filter drier, ran slow stream of nitrogen through the system, installed access port on liquid line, installed new filter drier, ran static pressure test, did a triple evacuation, added 8oz r12, started compressor and charged to frost back. 33*f box temperature, 7* f evaporator coil temperature, 10.9 psi suction, 116.2 psi liquid, 114*f liquid line temperature, ambient 89*f, pulling 3.8amps.
    System ran through a cycle and then compressor tripped on internal overload. Pressure stabilized, compressor started and pulled down to 16 psi suction then tripped again and the head pressure was climbing much quicker than the suction was dropping (head pressure 140 psi)

Post Likes
    Time to locate a new refrigeration deck, any suggestions, this is my first cold wall box and not quite sure what size deck I would need. The compressor currently in there is 1/2 hp but not sure what kind of evaporator temp is required on a cold wall box, btu, 134a ?

Post Likes
    Pulled the r12, removed filter drier, ran slow stream of nitrogen through the system, installed access port on liquid line, installed new filter drier, ran static pressure test, did a triple evacuation, added 8oz r12, started compressor and charged to frost back. 33*f box temperature, 7* f evaporator coil temperature, 10.9 psi suction, 116.2 psi liquid, 114*f liquid line temperature, ambient 89*f, pulling 3.8amps.
    System ran through a cycle and then compressor tripped on internal overload. Pressure stabilized, compressor started and pulled down to 16 psi suction then tripped again and the head pressure was climbing much quicker than the suction was dropping (head pressure 140 psi)
    Is there a oil sight glass probably not on that small a unit.

Pull the pump, measure the amount of oil in it.

3GS oil is suitable, maybe mix with a little POE

Closest i can find is 20 OZ total oil charge but that seems large.

Post Likes

140 psi is only 112 condensing degrees temperature that is only 23 degrees above ambient ... you could have a bad compressor but if you are only pulling 3.8 amps .... was it the internal or external overload that tripped ?

dont charge by " frost back " to anything charge by superheat .. once that box starts to hits a few degrees above temperature you should be hitting around 10 degrees superheat and it should track that all the way down to shut off temperatute ...

89 degree ambient without a fan shroud, can you blow a fan on the compressor ?

it could be a bad compressor but I wouldnt conclude that just yet ...
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Post Likes
    could be the overload is doing exactly what it should be doing and shutting that hot compressor off ...

Post Likes
    and if you really want to nail the charge then adjust the thermostat to 25 degree shut off temperature and run that box down to 29 degrees measuring your evaporator outlet superheat, at around 29 degrees box temperature your evaporator coil should start flooding and your superheat should nose dive ... any higher than 29 degrees you are over charged, any lower than 29 degrees you are undercharged ....

that is 4 degrees below your 33 degree shut off temperature ....

obviously dont let it run with a flooded coil and damage the compressor ....

but then you dont have a fan shroud so once you install one you will be slightly undercharged ...
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-09-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Y

Post Likes
    140 psi is only 112 condensing degrees temperature that is only 23 degrees above ambient ... you could have a bad compressor but if you are only pulling 3.8 amps .... was it the internal or external overload that tripped ?

dont charge by " frost back " to anything charge by superheat .. once that box starts to hits a few degrees above temperature you should be hitting around 10 degrees superheat and it should track that all the way down to shut off temperatute ...

89 degree ambient without a fan shroud, can you blow a fan on the compressor ?

it could be a bad compressor but I wouldnt conclude that just yet ...
    Cough
    Cough
    Cough

22. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in