+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fluke 87V-MAX vs 28II ??? (87V MAX... apparently it's a thing)

Post Likes

Question Fluke 87V-MAX vs 28II ??? (87V MAX... apparently it's a thing)

It seems fluke has released an 87V MAX DMM but I can't figure out what the difference is between the 87V MAX and the 28II

Has anyone noticed this meter before? it looks like it only came out sometime around Oct 16th 2019 but maybe i'm not finding the proper press release...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1016005165/en/

That is one of the many links to the meter that I have found. All the links look about the same but this one had the date stamp on it so its the one i chose to link.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    It seems fluke has released an 87V MAX DMM but I can't figure out what the difference is between the 87V MAX and the 28II

Has anyone noticed this meter before? it looks like it only came out sometime around Oct 16th 2019 but maybe i'm not finding the proper press release...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1016005165/en/

That is one of the many links to the meter that I have found. All the links look about the same but this one had the date stamp on it so its the one i chose to link.
    Offhand all I see is the 87V MAX is more rugged than the 28II

87V-MAX Withstands drops up to 4-meters (13 feet) with industrial strength casing and holster

28II Designed to withstand 3 meter drop (with holster)

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...meters/87v-max

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...rs/fluke-28-ii

Post Likes
    Wow
    800 hr battery!
    And I thought 400 was a lot lol

Post Likes
    In the first link you posted it says the 87v will withstand a 3 meter drop... I don’t think it was designed for that.

They also mentioned that it has every feature that he 87v has, except it only uses 2v on the diode test instead of 3v like the 87v. It would be more accurate if they said it had every feature of the 28ii because it looks almost identical to that, with exception to the additional meter of drop protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Three AA batteries instead of one 9V

Post Likes
    In the first link you posted it says the 87v will withstand a 3 meter drop... I don’t think it was designed for that.

They also mentioned that it has every feature that he 87v has, except it only uses 2v on the diode test instead of 3v like the 87v. It would be more accurate if they said it had every feature of the 28ii because it looks almost identical to that, with exception to the additional meter of drop protection.

If you meant me that wasn't what I posted. I posted 4 meters which is what Fluke says for the 87V-MAX. It says the same thing in the link you provided for the 87V-MAX.

I just copied and pasted from Fluke directly and supplied the links where they came from.

I am curious if the 1 meter drop increase just comes from the holster. Unsure if they make that clear or not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    If you meant me that wasn't what I posted. I posted 4 meters which is what Fluke says for the 87V-MAX. It says the same thing in the link you provided for the 87V-MAX.

I just copied and pasted from Fluke directly and supplied the links where they came from.

I am curious if the 1 meter drop increase just comes from the holster. Unsure if they make that clear or not.
    I guess I wasn’t very clear.

In the product specs for the 87v Max that you posted, it has a comparison chart that lists the specs of the 87V and the 87v Max, side by side.

The side by side comparison lists the 87V as having a 3 meter drop test (same as what the 28ii boasts). Prior to now be never seen a drop spec for the 87V

If you dig a little deeper into the specs of the 87V you will see that the diode test uses a 3V supply. Although it won’t really matter for HVAC stuff, the 28II and the 87V Max both use the 2V supply. I just find it miss leading that they say it has all the same features of the 87V plus more but they really should have said it has all the same features of the 28II because it looks to me like it’s a replica of that meter with the addition of an additional meter of drop protection.

It’s nit picky I know, but the 28II was so close to the 87V to begin with it just looks like all they’ve done is change the name of the 28II and altered the holster to give a little more drop protection. Why not just call it the 28III? Since the 28 series was their weather resistant and rugged edition anyway.

Post Likes
    I guess I wasn’t very clear.

In the product specs for the 87v Max that you posted, it has a comparison chart that lists the specs of the 87V and the 87v Max, side by side.

The side by side comparison lists the 87V as having a 3 meter drop test (same as what the 28ii boasts). Prior to now be never seen a drop spec for the 87V

If you dig a little deeper into the specs of the 87V you will see that the diode test uses a 3V supply. Although it won’t really matter for HVAC stuff, the 28II and the 87V Max both use the 2V supply. I just find it miss leading that they say it has all the same features of the 87V plus more but they really should have said it has all the same features of the 28II because it looks to me like it’s a replica of that meter with the addition of an additional meter of drop protection.

It’s nit picky I know, but the 28II was so close to the 87V to begin with it just looks like all they’ve done is change the name of the 28II and altered the holster to give a little more drop protection. Why not just call it the 28III? Since the 28 series was their weather resistant and rugged edition anyway.

I hear you it just seems strange. Almost like they have an even more expensive way to sell an upgraded holster. Thanks for the clarification, sorry if I read it wrong.

9. Likes thatguy liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in