+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norlake sure can design some crap

Post Likes

Norlake sure can design some crap

3 fan freezer coil in a big ass walkin with these rediculously expensive motors keep failing every year

Mc Millan Ecm motors 08216139

Replaced 2 of them little over year ago , and 1 the year before that , now all 3 have went out !!

Im like WTH

Im sure the fans quit one by one and they didnt notice until it was 48 inside...they have a bunch of thugs working the place.

But im ripping those pieces of crap out and going back with Fasco D1126

Taking them apart i find they rust on the inside. The little board doesnt like it.

They probly condense on defrost causing them to slowly puddle with water , would be my guess because they are totally sealed but have water pour out when i split the case

Post Likes
    The manufactures only have to get past the 1 year warranty then its not there problem!

Post Likes
    We give the customer the option..

Either try again with the ECM motors or...go back to conventional PSC notors.

With heatcraft and russell evap coils its very easy. Btw...norlake large walk in coils are HTP-Russell.

On both you'll need 5140C fan blades and either d1124 or d1126 motors depending on voltage.

If the customer does indeed want to go back to tried and true PSC motors, then you should change All of them back to PSC, not just the one that keeps failing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As many norlakes ive ever seen , i dont Ever recall thinking , hmm this is a nice setup

No its usually thinking of a way to get better airflow

5. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hopefully you dont have the small ec motors with the 3 brackets...

These brackets break ALL THE TIME.
    Finally i got tired of going back and just put the regular motor bracket with a 5140C blade and motor in. No issues since

Post Likes
    Once again, I'm glad I made the decision to retire before all the equipment got any worse...because it has.

A conscientious manufacturer would have recognized this as an issue right away, recalled all the offending units for free parts and labor to remedy the immediate problems and redesigned to correct them.

But no, they press on pushing sales of their current systems because the doctored failure rate reports somehow show acceptable failure levels or its simply cheaper to not do the right thing and fix it. I wouldn't trust any manufacturer again until they re-earned that privilege from me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Once again, I'm glad I made the decision to retire before all the equipment got any worse...because it has.

A conscientious manufacturer would have recognized this as an issue right away, recalled all the offending units for free parts and labor to remedy the immediate problems and redesigned to correct them.

But no, they press on pushing sales of their current systems because the doctored failure rate reports somehow show acceptable failure levels or its simply cheaper to not do the right thing and fix it. I wouldn't trust any manufacturer again until they re-earned that privilege from me.

I find most clients that purchase Norlake equipment only shop for price On Line anyway. A small WI cooler delivered and installed 6K. For us to do the same job 9-10K. Sorry but they save $ originally now there paying in lost food, labor and service on the equipment. As I said earlier there concerned with getting the 1 year warranty done. I want to look at my work in 10, 15 even 20 years later.

I blame the gouberment and there unrealistic energy regulations.

The manufactures are handcuffed with keeping production costs and energy usage down yet Mr store owner can build a beer cave with no door?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I find most clients that purchase Norlake equipment only shop for price On Line anyway. A small WI cooler delivered and installed 6K. For us to do the same job 9-10K. Sorry but they save $ originally now there paying in lost food, labor and service on the equipment. As I said earlier there concerned with getting the 1 year warranty done. I want to look at my work in 10, 15 even 20 years later.

I blame the gouberment and there unrealistic energy regulations.

The manufactures are handcuffed with keeping production costs and energy usage down yet Mr store owner can build a beer cave with no door?
    The government will do whatever it decides to do, but it's still up to the manufacturer to comply, but sell stuff that works. Of course the price must go up to accomplish that, but the manufacturer's think that price is more important that quality.

Fifty year ago when quality came first, equipment was super expensive when compared to the labor it took to manufacture, install and service it. The manufacturer made money, the installer made money and the customer got a product that worked well for many years. No more.

Like you said, their new design philosophy is "will it meet the code, will it run and last (perhaps) a year".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Hopefully you dont have the small ec motors with the 3 brackets...

These brackets break ALL THE TIME.
    Finally i got tired of going back and just put the regular motor bracket with a 5140C blade and motor in.
    I had to buy 3 brackets with the normal 4 legs , 3 motors , 3 blades 5140C

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I had to buy 3 brackets with the normal 4 legs , 3 motors , 3 blades 5140C
    Nice.
    Thats what i have done with those stupid motors when they repeatedly fail

Post Likes
    It's illegal to not put an ECM back in. Sucks but just so you know. CYA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spliskin View Post
    Please provide proof...?

Post Likes
    All the energy savings, offset by replacing expensive motors frequently plus the labor cost. LOL

15. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spliskin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Please provide proof...?

Post Likes
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.

18. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlandru View Post
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

Keep us informed on the newer motors please.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

Keep us informed on the newer motors please.
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.
    I agree.

I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I agree.

I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in