Thread: Return location concern

Post Likes

Return location concern

We have a new Diakin ducted mini split that is going to be installed in our master suite. My concern is where the contractor wants to locate the return. It is in the short hall between master bath and bed. Will the cased opening effect to return or should I lower ceiling before they install or ask them to change location? Is there a way to link a pic?

Post Likes
    You need 7 posts to be able to add pics.

Is the master the only area served by the unit?

Post Likes
    Yes it’s only serving master. You enter through door into short hall with 2 cased opening on left and right with ceiling height of 9’ with standard height openings so return would be approx 2’ above

Post Likes
    I don't see a problem as long as the ducts will fit without being crushed.

Post Likes
    Any issue with it being located close to door leading into main living? It is center perfect in master space. Just spending a good bit of $ on this wanna make sure it’s good to go

Post Likes
    I don't think id want to look at a large ugly return in my ceiling.

Post Likes
    What other option could I do. I can’t go in my basement because I’m doing the mini to get rid of the ducts in the basement to have a flat ceiling

Post Likes
    Why doesn't your contactor have answers for you?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    He said that is best solution. We live in an area called Lake Oconee Georgia. I normally get several quotes but this area is so busy I can not get any other contractors out to look. Just wanted to hear other thoughts or confirm that’s a good layout before making the decision

Post Likes
    Where is he locating the thermostat?

Post Likes
    Thermostat will be just inside case opening in master bedroom. Contractor will install return in ceiling of hall or above hall closet door

Post Likes
    Those units need big ducts due to the low friction required in the ducts, so he may not be able to run the duct too far, or smaller.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jburrell View Post
    Thermostat will be just inside case opening in master bedroom. Contractor will install return in ceiling of hall or above hall closet door
    My question was how far away from the return? How far away from the exhaust in bathroom and how far from windows, respectively?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in