Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accumulator before condenser

Post Likes

Accumulator before condenser

I have a long line set run about 55ft on a 5 ton unit with a 20ft elevation difference between the air handler above the condenser outside.

The installer placed an accumulator at the bottom of the 20ft drop before the line goes into the condenser.

The manual called for an oil trap and he installed an accumulator instead. (From what I can tell...)

From what I read that is an incorrect installation of an accumulator. Is it going to hurt anything?

Goodman 14seer, 5ton, no heat pump

Post Likes
    Oil traps are for suction lines going up to a condensing unit.

Post Likes
    Oh. Well I don’t know what’s going on with the install then. Can anyone enlighten me?

Post Likes
    Accumulators are to accumulate liquid refrigerant laden vapor from reaching the compressor as a slug.
    Typically placed just upstream of the compressors suction inlet.

Post Likes
    Is the one in the pic placed correctly?

Post Likes
    I've never seen that done before outside of the unit.
    Will it work yes but the question remains why put one on in the first place. Sometimes on long suction lines they can lose their superheated vapor bringing back saturated refrigerant.
    Most heat pumps have an accumulator straight a/c not so much.
    It can't hurt having one regardless.
    Last edited by VTP99; 04-23-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Post Likes
    I suggest you find a different service provider.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would get a roll of insulation tape and wrap it around the outside shell ( dont worry about the bottom part , you want the water to drip off )

It looks funny , but it will probly be just fine

Post Likes
    Not required since 2007. The following are Goodman's requirements for long line applications. Your dealer needs to go back for updated training. Normal install for evaporator above condenser is for the line set to be fashioned with an inverted trap. The accumulator will not hurt anything. Just wasn't necessary.

1. Crankcase Heater: A long line set application can critically increase the charge level needed for a system. As a result, the system is very prone to refrigerant migration during its off-cycle and a crankcase heater will help minimize this risk. A crankcase heater is required for any longline application (50 watt minimum).
    2. TXV Requirement: All line set applications over 50 feet will require a TXV.
    3. Hard Start Assist: Increased charge level in long line applications can require extra work from the compressor at start-up. A hard start assist device may be required to overcome this issue.
    4. Liquid Line Solenoid: A long line set application can critically increase the charge level needed for a system. As a result, the system is very prone to refrigerant migration during its off cycle and a liquid line solenoid will help minimize this. A liquid line solenoid is recommended for any long line application on straight cooling units.
    5. The requirement for an accumulator has been removed after Engineering determined it is no longer required in the long line set applications.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Personally, with 410A, I would be concerned with oil return with that setup, it may be fine, I don't know, probably need to call the mfg and ask them.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Not required since 2007. The following are Goodman's requirements for long line applications. Your dealer needs to go back for updated training. Normal install for evaporator above condenser is for the line set to be fashioned with an inverted trap. The accumulator will not hurt anything. Just wasn't necessary.
    The newest Goodman guidance defines a long lineset as over 80ft. So I don’t think the system needs any of that stuff...

Can someone in the Denver area please take care of this for me? PM me.

Post Likes
    Accumulators are designed for proper oil return.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Personally, with 410A, I would be concerned with oil return with that setup, it may be fine, I don't know, probably need to call the mfg and ask them.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    you havent been a member long enough to PM

Post Likes
    I haven't?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    you havent been a member long enough to PM
    Thank you for pointing that out.

I added an email address to my profile. It should be visible to anyone who is interested in contacting me regarding fixing the lineset installation. Denver, CO

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Accumulators are designed for proper oil return.
    Thank you.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I would get a roll of insulation tape and wrap it around the outside shell
    After a lot of google image searching it looks like accumulator installs are not wrapped with insulation... Aren't they internally insulated?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by airhammer View Post
    After a lot of google image searching it looks like accumulator installs are not wrapped with insulation... Aren't they internally insulated?
    Definitely not internally ...

Your compressor keeps cool by relying on the cool gas coming back down that suction line , and if that accum sits in the roasting sun it will warm up the freezon

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by airhammer View Post
    The newest Goodman guidance defines a long lineset as over 80ft. So I don’t think the system needs any of that stuff...
    Goodmans “Long Line Set Application Manual” states that line sets over 79 feet require an accumulator to be added (external to the outdoor unit, within 2 linear feet of the outdoor unit) for air conditioning installations where the condenser is below the evaporator.

Now it is hard to say if your 55 feet of straight tubing length adds up to over 79 feet when you account for all the elbows in the piping. Each elbow (90º) adds about 2 feet in length, so it would take about 7 - 8 elbows to become officially a “Long Line Application”.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

22. Likes heatingman, HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The accumulator is not supposed to be insulated. If liquid refrigerant does wind up in it, the surface area of the accumulator will help provide the heat energy required to boil that refrigerant back into gas.

There is no need to remove the accumulator, whether it is requires or not.

There is one inside every single heat pump for example.

If its an issue of aesthetics, Im sure some type of trim out box could be made, or some type of fencing erected.

Or just some sort of plant life to obscure the view.

The accumulator was added at an additional cost to the installer, so its pretty unlikely they willy nilly installed it without reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Likes R600a, HVACmedic911 liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in