+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copeland Sightglass Removal Tool

Post Likes

Copeland Sightglass Removal Tool

There have been lots of threads concerning what tool is best to use for the removal/replacement of a Copeland sightglass. I thought I would add a pic of the one I made a while back using a standard 3/4" six point socket and a couple of pieces of copper tubing:

The removable copper inserts are to center the tool in the sightglass. I found that you need two sizes, depending on what type of sightglass you're working on. The current, one-piece style uses slightly larger 3/4"OD x 3/4"L piece and for the older ones I used a 5/8" coupling cut down to about 3/4" long. The socket was cut with a hack saw by hand, so while it's not the ing greatest machining job, it works quite well.

BTW, this works for E, K, L and 3A Copeland compressors.

(Yes, I need more practice getting my camera to focus on closeups...)

Post Likes
    Very slick !
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    Looks good ice, I was planning on making one over the holiday weekend for Carlyle compressors. I just had a sightglass that was loose and leaking. I used a punch and a hammer to turn it and tighten it up.. Seemed to work ok, but I would like a real tool to do it properly.

Post Likes
    Amazing.... Just today we found a 'K' model that blew its charge through the SG. Have the replacement part, but the 'tool' is unavailable. Was going to have to make one as well.

What's the deal? Copeland does not make the tool? Or is it just easier to fabricate it?

Post Likes
    I made this one out of both curiosity and necessity.

I had a 3-door Hussmann reach-in freezer go down due to a SG leak. The bottom-mounted compressor wouldn't slide out far enough for me to really see well, so the other "removal tools" I had weren't working very well at all.

I recalled a post from some years back about modifying a socket, so I went back to the shop and quickly cut this one up, using an old K-Body as a guide. I had already picked up the new SG kit at the supply house, so it was then I realized the difference between the old style and new style SG.

The centering pieces make this a lot easier to do...especially when you can't see.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting that.

Post Likes
    I've had the same problem and made one out of an impact socket that was a good fit in the sightglass, like your copper is, then cut a slot in the socket and sliver soldered a piece of steel in to locate in the slots in the sg.

Got the correct torque setting from copelands but have lost the paper i wrote it on...

See a lot of these leak around ten year old, in fact found one leaking today!

Post Likes
    A must have!
    I'll have to retire the chisel
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I bought the "tool" off this site in the junk yard, $20.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    I bought the "tool" off this site in the junk yard, $20.
    Was it this one?

http://www.dentalequipmentparts.com/....php?prodID=94

Does it work?

The last job I used mine for was in such a tight space, I wouldn't have had enough room for it.

Post Likes
    The self centering part of the contraption is sweet.
    Beats the heck outta the washers and adjustable wrench I've used before
    So is the only difference between the new and old style the centering copper piece?

I never remember much trouble with these things. You think POE is killing the old style?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Was it this one?

http://www.dentalequipmentparts.com/....php?prodID=94

Does it work?

The last job I used mine for was in such a tight space, I wouldn't have had enough room for it.
    No, My looks like a reverse socket for a 3/8 drive. I'll post a picture later. Funny thing is I haven't had to use it since I bought it.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The self centering part of the contraption is sweet.
    Beats the heck outta the washers and adjustable wrench I've used before
    So is the only difference between the new and old style the centering copper piece?

I never remember much trouble with these things. You think POE is killing the old style?
    The bore for the glass is slightly smaller on the old style. The 5/8" coupling fits into it nicely. It's a little loose inside the socket, but it still holds center pretty well.

The older ones I've done appeared to have fibrous gaskets which got brittle and simply crumbled to dust. The new ones now use an O-ring seal which would likely leak if you did a conversion from R22 or some R22 based blend to an HFC, so I believe the problem is more the refrigerant you use than the oil. The R22 causes the seals to swell and when you go to an HFC they shrink...and leak like heck.

Post Likes

K Body

We had one K body 1 HP compressor show up with two "O" rings under the sight glass from the factory! We pulled a deep vacuum and one of the rings pulled half out of position and caused a leak. It was a simple fix to pull the sight glass and remove one "O" ring. We also used a Drag Link Socket like the one suggested above from Craftsman. Ours was from Gray Tools here in Canada. Sometimes you have to do a slight modification with a grinder though to make them fit perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in