Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Advise on ride-along tomorrow

Hi, I'm currently a college student enrolled in a HVAC-R program and scheduled to do a ride-along with a local company tomorrow (11-22). I would like to make a good impression and get the most out of the experience. I plan on dressing professionally, bringing safety glasses and gloves but would like to know if I should bring any other supplies. I would also like any advise anyone can give me so I can go in prepared and make the experience meaningful enjoyable for everyone.

Post Likes
    Bring a pen and paper and keep your ears and eyes open. A ride along can be an invaluable tool for you as you learn the trade. If you don't understand what he is doing while troubleshooting, then ask. Most people love to talk about themselves and teach. Good luck to you.

Post Likes
    Thank you, I will.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis M View Post
    Thank you, I will.
    knee pads! Ive never heard of ride alongs on hvac. I have done them in the fire service and the police used to do it. Let us know how it goes, dont be afraid to ask questions, just dont get carried away and bug the tech, but the company should have you paired with someone who is willing to teach and answer questions, so ask away and enjoy.Also if you have a mechanical or construction background you could even be a help, to go get things/tools and such.Maybe even include a tape measure(if your proficient with it) with the other things mentioned. Dont forget to post back to update us.

Post Likes
    Safety glasses, cap (might not wear it at first, until you see if the tech wears a cap), ear plugs (in pocket), pencil and paper, cell phone with camera (ask before taking a picture... for your education of course--and turn the ringer off), knee pads (probably gonna get in some dirt), and the gloves.

Be ready to be helpful as asked to... yet maybe not too eager. Best to understand quickly what the tech wants... and follow.

The tech is the one doing the work, you are the observer and helper when asked to be. Let the tech lead!

A ride along is a wonderful privilege, use it to your advantage! If you get along with the tech... you may be asked if you want to come along again. A couple of these 'educational experiences'... and you may get a job offer when the time is right.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Safety glasses, cap (might not wear it at first, until you see if the tech wears a cap), ear plugs (in pocket), pencil and paper, cell phone with camera (ask before taking a picture... for your education of course--and turn the ringer off), knee pads (probably gonna get in some dirt), and the gloves.

Be ready to be helpful as asked to... yet maybe not too eager. Best to understand quickly what the tech wants... and follow.

The tech is the one doing the work, you are the observer and helper when asked to be. Let the tech lead!

A ride along is a wonderful privilege, use it to your advantage! If you get along with the tech... you may be asked if you want to come along again. A couple of these 'educational experiences'... and you may get a job offer when the time is right.
    What he said !

Post Likes
    Be yourself, enjoy the experience and conduct yourself in a workman like manner(no hands in pockets). Trying to make an impression will get in the way learning. Try to get a handle on what " good judgement" is and why.

If you like to talk about religion, politics, or sex hang ups, bring ear plugs...for the other guy.

Post Likes
    Why in the world would he need knee pads unless he is going to..............................

I don't wear any safety junk, I never did, but thats just me, I am old and already beat up, so.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Why in the world would he need knee pads unless he is going to..............................

I don't wear any safety junk, I never did, but thats just me, I am old and already beat up, so.
    exactly hes wanting a lob right?
    But really I was the same way till this year when I bought a pair at harbor frieght for less than $5 and let me tell ya, I cant believe I went all these years without them! Im spoiled now, I will walk all the way around the house to get them if I need to crawl. NEVER AGAIN will I go under a house or attic for that matter without them. Trust me dice man you will be glad you bought them. Just think of the rocks and bricks and roots you are going to hit with your knees every time you crawl, well that is a thing of the past! It makes going under a house alot more pleasent and safe and mainly PAINLESS!

Post Likes
    Flange got it right. As a first year apprentice I was told over and over "you don't know nothing and are useless without a pencil and paper"

Those old fitters were pretty harsh, but they got their point across, and proved to be correct.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    If some kid showed for a ride along with safety glasses, knee pads, gloves, pencil and paper with a pocket protector, hat and yada, yada, yada.........I would be like, whadda ya some kind of geek??

Maybe go get a job a Radio Shack.

Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

Post Likes
    I hope you had rain gear, it was pretty nasty today. Luckily I was in a hot boiler room all day.

Post Likes
    Thanks to most people for the advise. I had a good time on the ride along. It was a long day (about 13 hours) but it went by quick and I hope to do it again soon. I learned a-lot about how things work in the field compared to the class room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast