Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    He must have meant that as a joke. Knowbody can be that stupid. If he is, I doubt he will make it in this business.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    He must have meant that as a joke. Nobody can be that stupid. If he is, I doubt he will make it in this business.
    That is what I was thinking.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    HAHAHHAHA thats Brilliant

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    He must have meant that as a joke.
    NO!!!!

I promise that that just like in the video - I tell him to tighten the Bolts on the pump and finish wiring the pump (I hand him the lock washer for the BX connector and point to where it goes - we have worked together before) I come back from the truck and the guy asks me if it is wired right. I then asked him to look at it to make sure - 'Do you think it is right? take a look' I say. 'Yeah, I suppose so.' he says.

I remember what my mama told me about when you cannot say anything nice.... so I sent him to the truck so I can shoot my video in peace.

as I said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    A few weeks ago, I asked him to help me do a PM call. 'Put drain tablets in the drain pan and pour water down the drain to make sure all is well'. I come back, and he put the water in the secondary drain pan under the unit, along with the drain pan tablets, and announced 'I'm all done!' Now I hafta spend time drying out the wet switch to get the unit turned on, after we get all the water back out of the auxilliary drain pan.
    He has a history of this already. At least he is helpful and can get to the truck and back in less than 20 minutes.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    I am usually pretty tolerant of helpers not knowing anything, but HOLY COW!

I sepent 45 minutes on the way to a call discussing and diagramming hydronic system design (long ride) and I go to get something during the repair and leave him with the tasks to tighten the flange bolts and wire up the pump.

He finishes and when I come back he asks "is it wired right?"

Attachment 224802
    I dunno - whaddya think!?!?

http://youtu.be/oNrnFmlNq30

A few weeks ago, I asked him to help me do a PM call. Put drain tablets in the drain pan and pour water down the drain to make sure all is well. I come back, and he put the water in the secondary drain pan under the unit, along with the drain pan tablets, and announced 'I'm all done!' Now I hafta spend time drying out the wet switch to get the unit turned on, after we get all the water back out of the auxilliary drain pan.

the good news is that he is going to school for accounting. -really-
    I think I would check the flange bolts also...

Some kids have mechanical snap... others do not. Hope this kid chooses a field he fits into... it appears your field may not be his.

On the other hand... I know well I do NOT fit into politics... I have literally NO patience with spin-meisters...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    so whats the answer to the question? haha ("You are in a room with 3 light switches. You need to find out which one controls the light bulb in the next room. You can make only one trip to that other room to see which one is lit. How do you do it?")

my educated guess is turn all 3 of them on and take a extra light bulb with you...or have one guy look at the light while you flick them on
    I wondered if anyone would ask...

I bet all the others are afraid of getting kicked outta helper training.

You turn on one switch (don't matter which - but pay attention so you remember later) and wait 5 minutes. Then you turn off switch #1 (whatever switch that happens to be) and turn on any other switch. Then go over and check the light. If it is on - it is the second switch. If it is off AND cold - it is the third switch that you have not touched yet. If it is off AND hot, it was the first one you threw.

This demonstrates an ability to think abstractly about mechanicals in a logical and complete way. (....first I do this.... then it comes on..... it will get hot....then hmmm.... and if I come back with the other one on...... I GOT IT!!!)

This ability does not prevent someone from wiring the pump this way, but it DOES PREVENT him from leaving it this way.

Just like it prevented me from turning on power to the unit before I checked it first, since he has demonstrated a deficiency in this area before (common sense). I know he can wire it any way he pleases as long as the power is off and stays off - so knock yourself out!! it is a learning experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fs1 View Post
    Wow, that's just to funny. Did this guy come from a school or was he just a walk in?

FROM A SCHOOL YOU MUST POST
    Lincoln Tech in NJ. the same school that inspired this thread:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/ind.../t-153328.html

Awwww it went to the archives....

This guy apparently has nothing to show for his time in school but about 18k in debt.

Post Likes
    Lincoln Tech in NJ. the same school that inspired this thread:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/ind.../t-153328.html

Awwww it went to the archives....

This guy apparently has nothing to show for his time in school but about 18k in debt.
    The business of education. Not to help folks learn... rather to make $$$ of folks not smart enough to realize they are being taken.

Not all schools are bad... but the temptation to use education for greed... well there are schools that fell to the temptation.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Gotta love those helpers lol.

Post Likes
    My helper enjoys mis-wiring motors. Always happens to choose the wrong voltage. Good thing i always double check his work.
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    You figure out which one(s) control the light in the room you're in. If only 1 remains, thats the one. if 2 remain, you check one. if its not it you know its the other... The only caveat is if they tricked you and wired the lights in both rooms to the same switch.
    Uhhm, I thought about this question for like 10 minutes because I didn't think the answer could possibly be so simple!

People without any mechanical aptitude should figure this out.

Post Likes

You turn on one switch (don't matter which - but pay attention so you remember later) and wait 5 minutes. Then you turn off switch #1 (whatever switch that happens to be) and turn on any other switch. Then go over and check the light. If it is on - it is the second switch. If it is off AND cold - it is the third switch that you have not touched yet. If it is off AND hot, it was the first one you threw.

This demonstrates an ability to think abstractly about mechanicals in a logical and complete way. (....first I do this.... then it comes on..... it will get hot....then hmmm.... and if I come back with the other one on...... I GOT IT!!!)

This ability does not prevent someone from wiring the pump this way, but it DOES PREVENT him from leaving it this way.

Just like it prevented me from turning on power to the unit before I checked it first, since he has demonstrated a deficiency in this area before (common sense). I know he can wire it any way he pleases as long as the power is off and stays off - so knock yourself out!! it is a learning experience.
    Lol, now that strategy requires some thought.

Post Likes

That answer requires too many assumptions for me. I have to assume the lightbulb in the other room is good. I have to assume its not a fluorescent or LED. I like it overall but I prefer the answer someone else gave which is to turn on the other switches in the room and see what, if anything they light, then check the room using the remaining switch. Sure it requires some assumptions (that they don't ALL feed separate rooms) but at least I don't have to wait 5 minutes for a bulb to heat up. It seems like I could make the trip to the other room faster than waiting 5 minutes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast