Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    I understand these guys have to produce out of the school , but what does this speak of our education system an is our industry getting involved enough.

Post Likes
    What did you expect? I mean there are 3 different colored wires.
    I had a helper do something similar. Installing an evap coil on a WIC. I told him to wire the fans and tstat parallel. He wire nutted the hot and neutral on the whip together, as well as the leads for the fans, and the leads for the stat/solenoid. Had to go on a call back for another guy who installed a 3 pole switch on a single phase ice machine. Installed the leads across from each other rather than next to each other and swore it made ice before he left. The only thing it made was smoke come out of the breaker panel.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I had a call a few years ago on a boiler our guys installed that day. Called about 8 pm, said "the new boiler works great, but it's a bit too warm in here".
    I found the same wiring job your guy did, but it was the t-stat wires nutted together, and the control leads on the boiler wired together.
    82 degrees and climbing!
    Never let the helper do the wiring, no matter how simple it looks.
    Just because it turns on, it doesn't mean it will shut-off!!
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes

2old2rock

I love your quote: "Just because it turns on, it doesn't mean it will shut off". I plan on using that the next time I rewire a heatpump thermostat that someone else installed. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Some of these helper folks turn out to be great. We all have a different way of doing things Even if we drill holes through a boiler or a wire bundle. to put rivets in the insulation
    I honestly think its great you can take the responsibility of a on the job trainee Because in the end it may just be you explaining what went wrong sometimes .
    Every day there are changes to this field and if you are out of it for few years the changes will be hard to keep up with also when the jobs are few its hard to keep a good experience level.

Post Likes
    so whats the answer to the question? haha ("You are in a room with 3 light switches. You need to find out which one controls the light bulb in the next room. You can make only one trip to that other room to see which one is lit. How do you do it?")

my educated guess is turn all 3 of them on and take a extra lightbulb with you...or have one guy look at the light while you flick them on

Post Likes
    Wow, that's just to funny. Did this guy come from a school or was he just a walk in?

FROM A SCHOOL YOU MUST POST

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    so whats the answer to the question? haha ("You are in a room with 3 light switches. You need to find out which one controls the light bulb in the next room. You can make only one trip to that other room to see which one is lit. How do you do it?")

my educated guess is turn all 3 of them on and take a extra lightbulb with you...or have one guy look at the light while you flick them on
    You figure out which one(s) control the light in the room you're in. If only 1 remains, thats the one. if 2 remain, you check one. if its not it you know its the other... The only caveat is if they tricked you and wired the lights in both rooms to the same switch.

Post Likes
    MacGyver Agrees white always goes to Red....never cut/splice the green one.

Never use wire connectors.

Post Likes
    The new green wiring code says a light switch must be located in the same area as the people the light will annoy. Red tag it!.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I am usually pretty tolerant of helpers not knowing anything, but HOLY COW!

I sepent 45 minutes on the way to a call discussing and diagramming hydronic system design (long ride) and I go to get something during the repair and leave him with the tasks to tighten the flange bolts and wire up the pump.

He finishes and when I come back he asks "is it wired right?"

Attachment 224802
    I dunno - whaddya think!?!?

http://youtu.be/oNrnFmlNq30

A few weeks ago, I asked him to help me do a PM call. Put drain tablets in the drain pan and pour water down the drain to make sure all is well. I come back, and he put the water in the secondary drain pan under the unit, along with the drain pan tablets, and announced 'I'm all done!' Now I hafta spend time drying out the wet switch to get the unit turned on, after we get all the water back out of the auxilliary drain pan.

the good news is that he is going to school for accounting. -really-
    He didnt tell you thats how the old one that you said had a shorted motor was wired!.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Lack of common sense- when the wire was loose it wasn't hooked to the pump, and it still isn't. Or, if you could wire nut it like that off the pump, how is it any better closer to the pump?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes

Mark Twain said:

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Lack of common sense- when the wire was loose it wasn't hooked to the pump, and it still isn't. Or, if you could wire nut it like that off the pump, how is it any better closer to the pump?
    COMMON SENSE ISN'T VERY COMMON

Truth is common sense hasn't anything to do with a lack of structured training.
    I wonder if there is a place to learn available for the helper of the OP
    AND is the OP willing to pay for this helpers education?
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast