Post Likes

LROC Room Automation

Got the chance to see the LROC room automation in action today.

Created all the control logic for a multistory building in about 20 minutes with about 3 minutes to download the complete system. This was HVAC, lighting control (CLC), security and other building functions.

Controllers are all redundant Ethernet based IP controllers with local AST (alarm schedule trend). They speak major protocols bacnet, modbus, OPC and LON so you can hookup whatever SCADA or OWS and start talking in addition to other open protocols.

Graphics and system documentation were automatically generated. If you changed options like turning two rooms into one or adding dual lighting zones in a single room associated graphics and control were regenerated for you.

The idea behind it is that you dump IEC61499 blocks down to define the smallest space or axis. This could be like 2 windows with a heating valve, some lights, sun blinds, window contacts, occupancy sensor etc.. Then, you combine this basic axis to make rooms of varying sizes. So, you drop these axes on a floor plan and put as many in a room as required. Assemble your building... Download. Get documentation and graphics auto-generated. Takes minutes to configure large buildings.

Since the system is event based individual resources (CPU controllers) are largely silent on the network until they get an event.

I like the concept because typically you run cycle based programs. So, let's say you have something on MSTP cranking away on a program. If the values aren't changing what's still happening? - well, the device is going out and saying something regularly like "can you hear me now, do I need to do something" Equation= No OVER and OVER again and maybe yes once in awhile.

Well, the event based model moves only when it gets an event.

The redundant Ethernet is going to be very reliable way to allow this system to get down to this device level.

The only thing I don't exactly get is the name. Because I understand 80% of it is rooms but you can assemble plant systems.

There were a couple other interesting statements made about IEC61499 programming but I think I'll leave that to others that attended the event.

Post Likes
    How is communications failure / controller offline handled in an event based network?

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    How is communications failure / controller offline handled in an event based network?
    That same question was asked and I can't remember exactly what was said but it is addressed.

I guess a heartbeat could be an event.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    How is communications failure / controller offline handled in an event based network?kontrol out
    Intelligent question. There are over the top mechanisms checking on that but I didn't quite catch the details.

Post Likes
    The only thing I don't exactly get is the name. Because I understand 80% of it is rooms but you can assemble plant systems.

There were a couple other interesting statements made about IEC61499 programming but I think I'll leave that to others that attended the event.
    You're plant system, AHU, VAV, etc...... are all device types that instantiated however many times as needed.

Device types are collections of IEC61499 function blocks.

All adjustments, set points, tuning are done with parameters in one tool.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post

kontrol out
    Basically there are two points to mention about this:
    First, physically there is a daisy chained ethernet cabling. This means that when one controller physically breaks, the communication breaks up into two sub-networks. This is avoided by forming an ethernet ring with RSTP support (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spannin...col_.28RSTP.29). On the application level the continuity of the channel is monitored.

Second, the devices are always monitored and if a device fails, this is reported and can be seen in the visualization system. This is the same like in LON, which also has event based updates and if an update permanently fails, you need some evalutation on application level to report errors to the end user.

Post Likes
    How are the devices monitored? By the front end or other devices on the network?
    What happens if a controller on the network misses a network event due a loss of communications? Is there a recovery method? Is there any technical documentation ( not sales mumbo-jumbo ) available?

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Would have been nice to have you at the show. However, to answer those questions requires a call. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I'm in Australia not Austria at the moment. Don't think the rugby coverage, women or beer is as good up there and no matter how good the Loytec product is I would rather be enjoying time with friends and family down here then working up there.
    I'll give you a call when I return. Picked up a BACnet LVIS before I left and look forward to integrating it into my lab when I get back.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko