Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Use the HW work for fill in if you're slow.
    Get your sticker on those units for when the HW contract expires.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    We accepted a call for American home shield back in early June. Made 4 trips to do what could be done in 1 maybe 2 visits. Spent around 4 hours on hold throughout this call. Do they pay for that no. Then we didn't get paid our diagnostic trip charge cause they said it was figured into the repair. Then last week we got called back out unit was not cooling. The 20+ year old unit had a leak develop in outdoor coil. Their operator/wanna be technician told me I had my hands all over it so it was my fault. All I had done on previous visits was cleaned system blowers, coils, etc. Spent 1 1/2 hrs on hold for this visit. I just hope the front door don't fall in since I had my hands all over it to knocking. If you need work go for it. If you are well established surely you can find less crooked revenues.

Post Likes
    I did work for a warranty company in the past. It was a headache and talking to them on the phone made me want to hang myself. Paid dirt, took a long time to pay, took a long time to approve. They always tried to get me to agree to let them purchase the equipment then have me install it LOL
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    I just signed up with 2 home warranty companies. They did not provide me with a price list or an acceptable mark up margin. Does anyone here know what that margin is?

Post Likes
    Weve done work for home warranty companies. Not directly but well go on calls where customers have a policy. Its kind of a pain waiting to speak to them but we charge our normal rates and tell the customers beforehand that anything over what the warranty will pay they are responsible for. Its like health insurance. They will pay X and the customer pays the rest.

Post Likes
    Egads, I just realized how old this thread is. Let it Rest In Peace 😁

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olred1 View Post
    As a contractor, I'm considering signing on with a home warranty company or two to boost my business. I was wondering who has had any experience with home warranty companies,
    Don't bother.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Acowan4 View Post
    I just signed up with 2 home warranty companies. They did not provide me with a price list or an acceptable mark up margin. Does anyone here know what that margin is?
    Anything more than FREE is toooooooooooooo much to home warranty fungus.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Acowan4 View Post
    Yeah, It's an old thread, but still relevant. I actually found it because a warranty company called me a couple days ago to cover a house because they don't have any providers in the area. I talked with a nice lady for a while about pricing and protocol. Sounded ok so I went. I'm a new company and not making any money. It was for an intermittently noisy heat pump. I messed around for about an hour but could not recreate the noise. I'm thinking possible reversing valve. They didn't pay me a penny because there was no diagnosis. I got the $ deductible from the HO for a 2 hour round trip to the boonies. I have a deal pending with America's Home Shield as well. I have dealt with them in the past through my previous employer. I actually got cussed at for the price my company quoted for a capacitor. They wanted to pay $ for a dual cap and $ for the trip. I would have sucked it up and used them for a while, but Choice Home Warranty put a really bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll pass on the home warranty service provider dream.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-13-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Post Likes
    They said they pay $ and hour. With no trip pay. Whatever the HO deductible is is what they give you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-13-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Post Likes
    Any work for a home warranty company needs to be paid in advance. At your normal hourly rate. Maybe 2 hours plus travel time. If they don't go for that, then you know they ain't gonna be payin' ya.

That's just the way it goes.

Third party in commercial goes pretty much the same way, just not as bad.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    We don't talk prices in the open forums. Consider becoming a Pro member. And then posting in the Pro only forums.

See link in my sig.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Weve done work for home warranty companies. Not directly but well go on calls where customers have a policy. Its kind of a pain waiting to speak to them but we charge our normal rates and tell the customers beforehand that anything over what the warranty will pay they are responsible for. Its like health insurance. They will pay X and the customer pays the rest.
    Good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast