Thread: Mold in duct

Post Likes

Mold in duct

We have a customer with mold in their duct work. The duct is on the roof and outside of their facility. We are told the duct has insulation on the inside and that is where the mold is growing (We're scheduled to tour the site this week)

We're also been told they had the same problem 5-6 years ago and had it fixed. No one there remembers who or how it was fixed.

I'm assuming the duct is more than 50' long, not sure how big the effected area is.

I would appreciate some insights on the best way to correct the problem now and prevent it going forward.

Thanks

Scott

Post Likes
    Ducts that mold on the inside usually have condensation on the inside of the duct during cold weather. The duct is cold enough to have condensation from the occupants/humidification moisture. Ducts with mold on the outside usually have condensation on the outside during cooling runs.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    It may seem obvious but I would also check to make sure a humidifier isn't causing the issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shampooman View Post
    We have a customer with mold in their duct work. The duct is on the roof and outside of their facility. We are told the duct has insulation on the inside and that is where the mold is growing (We're scheduled to tour the site this week)

We're also been told they had the same problem 5-6 years ago and had it fixed. No one there remembers who or how it was fixed.

I'm assuming the duct is more than 50' long, not sure how big the effected area is.

I would appreciate some insights on the best way to correct the problem now and prevent it going forward.

Thanks

Scott
    This job wouldn't be in Columbus would it?
    The premise of ventilation is that the OA is clean or of sufficient quality to be used for dilution. Traditional ventilation is somewhat being threatened by the fact that the EPA is changing the requirements for outdoor air quality which is creating non-attainment zones in what is now becoming a significant portion of the country. That means that buildings in those areas will need to clean up the OA before they bring it into the building.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in