Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617
    Post Likes
    Hate beat a dead mammoth but just for future reference when I clean a coil I pull it.Mix strong brown condenser cleaner,green cleaner and water.
    1 part brown 1 part green and two parts water.Soak coil with water then saturate with mix(one side at a Time). This should foam well if not your mix is too weak or brown is old.Once it starts to smoke start to rinse with as much volume of water as possible. A straight nozzle I find works best all the way open or nearly depending on water flow.upside down first then other side then flip and repeat.This will slightly etch coil removing everything but metal smell haha.Then deodorize with aerosol self rinse cleaner...whoo!

Post Likes
    I cleaned the coils in a brothel once. Enough said lol

Post Likes

Dirty Sock Syndrome

We ordered Technicoat coating as an extra from Trane and it's the only thing that actually worked to get rid of that intense smell. UV sounds worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman's daughter View Post
    We have had to have our coil replaced the past two years in a row a few weeks after we go from cooling to heating. We have 2 UV lights shining on our coil at all times, no visible mold on coil, no visible mold in home, keep it clean and dusted fairly well, use 3M pleated filters. Try to keep the humidity down to 50 or lower.

Help, if anyone can suggest how to solve this please respond.

MMD

Post Likes
    AME Technicoat, problem solved!

Post Likes

Cool Dirty Sock Syndrome smell and Salt Corrosion

Little late on the draw but may help if you still have the problem (it is a plaguing one) or someone else because it's so simple... AME Technicoat. coating + zero smell and you save money because units don't corrode....especially on bigger and/or around salt water...thousands in savings. Done and done.

Post Likes
    At 2hotintexas, you posted about a plastic smell in a previous post that is closed and I cannot post too. So I figured I would contact you through this post. We have the same issue in our house. A brand new ac and ductwork with only some vents smelling like plastic. Did you ever figure out what is was?

Post Likes
    Most likely the unit is starving for return air! Which would mean the return air sizing is probably improperly sized.

Post Likes
    I have been fighting DSS in one of my 2 units. They are right next to each other in the attic. I've tried UV, Air scrubber, coil cleaning. I had a new coil coated from AME technicoat..I had the AC off for about 2 weeks while the gas furnace kicked on..temp's went up and I switched to the AC, same smell, just NOT as strong. I went from a slab coil to an A as well hoping the gas furnace would kill anything on the coil. Everyone is perplexed.

Post Likes
    Probably the sweat from the tenants. What race are they? Recent to the US of A? What are they eating/cooking/food they are buying?

Do they keep the windows and doors closed to save energy?

Most times I have "seen DDS", it wasn't DDS. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by txjr View Post
    I have been fighting DSS in one of my 2 units. They are right next to each other in the attic. I've tried UV, Air scrubber, coil cleaning. I had a new coil coated from AME technicoat..I had the AC off for about 2 weeks while the gas furnace kicked on..temp's went up and I switched to the AC, same smell, just NOT as strong. I went from a slab coil to an A as well hoping the gas furnace would kill anything on the coil. Everyone is perplexed.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Probably the sweat from the tenants. What race are they? Recent to the US of A? What are they eating/cooking/food they are buying?

Do they keep the windows and doors closed to save energy?

Most times I have "seen DDS", it wasn't DDS. Just sayin'.
    It is DSS and confirmed by 2 hvac companies. I doubt it is the food we are cooking as the other unit does not have the problem. We're your typical American family..not cooking Indian food, but burgers, steak and chicken.

Post Likes
    The foul kind of smell always comes from humid pleated filters....... you have changed your coils but what about filters try other kind of filters because these foul air will cause health problems.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617