Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tridium......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    Because it's so easy to miss a step when you're setting things up. You miss one (seemingly) little step and the chit doesn't work at all.
    The way I understand it, its like going from Windows to Linux. Once you learn it, its real powerful. Like I said, just from what I've been told.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    The way I understand it, its like going from Windows to Linux. Once you learn it, its real powerful. Like I said, just from what I've been told.
    The only real difference in going from Windows to Linux, is that most users of Windows never really learn much about what's under the hood. In short, they don't ever learn how things REALLY work. They're button clickers.

Its possible to set up a Linux system where the user also needs to know nothing else. Thus, you have some manufacturer's selling Linux machines for the general public, pre-configured and set up. User has to know nothing.

However, plenty of Linux users go Linux specifically because they wish to learn more and have more control. So they get involved in things at the shell level, and learn to use command line tools.

All that kind of stuff is also available and can be done under Windows also. Its just that most people using Windows are USERS ...button clickers... not developers, programmers, etc.

Drop down to the under-the-hood level, the command line, get involved in doing low level configuration and setup changes and BOTH Windows and Linux can be a bear. A single, stupid error in what you tell them to do can just kick your a** and things don't work.

The usual methods, using the GUI of Windows, is simpler simply because the programmer of the GUI's (that are substituting for the command line) usually takes care to insert some error checking, input validation, helpful pointers ... i.e. allowing only a limited selection picked from a list as versus letting you have access to EVERYTHING and every possible variation, and so forth.

Thus, they limit your options, and intervene to catch most common errors or mistakes. As versus using a direct command line option. Where you'd find a whole LOT of stuff and options you'd never see using the GUI.

Anyway, with the Tridium system, certain task require one to also get down to the nitty-gritty of things. And, yes, at that level it can be a real a**-kicker. One wrong setting, one misplaced or mistyped character, one wrong selection .... and you can spend hours trying to figure it out.

<Shrug> And that's common with a lot of things in the world of computers.

Chuckle, a week ago I went to a customer site for one of those sort of things. Customer had a Tridium front end. Was trying to export some histories, the data to then be loaded into Excel.

We'd showed him how to do that before. Piece of cake. Could hardly be easier. And he'd done it many a time.

But now, suddenly, from his point of view, wasn't working. He'd export and export, but couldn't find a created file. He went nuts, tried for days. Finally called.

From his description of the problem over the phone, I couldn't make out what was wrong. He seemed to be doing it right. So I made a site visit.

LOL ... took 2 minutes to figure it out. I had him do what he was doing while I watched, looking over his shoulder.

His machine had been creating and saving the histories just fine, all along. He just couldn't find them.

Seems he'd gotten this idea. We'd instructed him to name the file to be saved something like "MyData-6Jun2011". So the name would indicate date file was made and have a different name than all the others. Since he kept historical records over long periods of time.

He'd decided he liked the names to be something like "MyData 6/6/2011". So that's how he started to type in the file names.

I'm sure you can guess the results.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Post Likes
    It's nice to have a reasonably intelligent, low-key Tridium thread.... Just saying....
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    It's nice to have a reasonably intelligent, low-key Tridium thread.... Just saying....
    HAHAHAH! Thats funny...

I wonder when that whole crew is going to be "unbanned"?

It has been awful quite around here. I kinda like the info those guys seem to wring out though.

I wish I knew more about Tridium. I wish someone had a Tridium for dummies or some Youtube vids so some of us could atleast get an idea of what it is like instead of just hearing about how "robust" it is.
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    HAHAHAH! Thats funny...

I wonder when that whole crew is going to be "unbanned"?

It has been awful quite around here. I kinda like the info those guys seem to wring out though.

I wish I knew more about Tridium. I wish someone had a Tridium for dummies or some Youtube vids so some of us could atleast get an idea of what it is like instead of just hearing about how "robust" it is.
    Your in the general neighborhood, come on by some time and I will let you give it a spin.
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lwarren View Post
    Your in the general neighborhood, come on by some time and I will let you give it a spin.
    Yea, Im going to have to take you up on this one day. Curiousity is killing the cat...

Thanks Lwarren
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12