Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Does anyone have info. on the application of cold plasma in the purfication/cleansing of residential indoor air? Is this anither "Ionic Breeze" type ozone producer? Air Tech Industries offers a stand alone unit "The Odatus" that claims to treat a 1200 sq.feet area.(ie. basement) In particular, this unit is advertised to kill mold/spores, bacteria, odors and viruses. I have read multiple articles and published reports including FDA and EPA reports that speak favorably of cold plasma applications in the medical and unfortunately the bioterrorism fields but can this be equally applied to residential applications? I would like to possibly the IAQ of my home but prefer to stay away from ozone producing purification because of concerns of bronchial/upper respiratory irritation potentially caused by ozone. Thanks What a great forum. Crazyhorse bryan

Post Likes
    Sounds like an interesting product... but also sounds like more marketing than real. They claim the plates last 1000 times longer than UV bulbs, yet they sell replacement plates... don't think I'm going to live past the year 3000.

Be real nice if it works, could place in my return plenum and kill anything growing in my coil, end DSS, and sent fresh air throughout the house... WOW!

Seems to kill "everything"... gee, what about me?

Post Likes
    http://www.odatus.com/

possibly the hokiest website ever devoted to an air purification gimmick. It's an ozone generator. period.

Post Likes

photo-catalyst

I was reading that when a certain freqency light wave strikes a plate of titanium oxide or dioxide (don't remember which one) there are oxygen atoms produced. I believe these are O2 atoms and not the infamous O3- ozone.

As I understand it, this process has been used in water purification for many years.

Supposed to be the next "big thing" in IAQ.

Best regards

Post Likes
    rudd-mann photocatalytics isn't a gimmic the stuff really works. I design systems for commercial and industrial use. We havn't really tried to get into the residential market but we might do something after x-mas. If you set up the system correctly . You can cover alot of situations and problems with one system. If what you are tring to remove from the air is an organic compound (VOCs,bacteria,mold,odors,ect a photocatalysis can remove a large percentage of this in the first pass across the system.

Post Likes

genesis

I meant "big thing" in a good way. Like you, I also see possibilities for residential applications.

In fact, I think I read somewhere about Lennox offering something along this line.

Best regarda

Post Likes
    Cold plasma is a charged bunch of molecules. Depending upon what is in those molecules, you can have excellent results. In December the company called Atmospheric Glow got a lot of press in trying out their system in a school in Kentucky. Another company's RCI Cell system creates a cold plasma of hydroperoxides, ozonides, and other friendly oxidizers with measured ozone levels of less than .02 ppm and is not considered an "ozone generator" by the EPA.
    KSE, Genesis Air, and a whole bunch of Asian companies are starting to come out with photocatalytic oxidation systems, not all of which produce "cold plasma."
    Not all products are created equal, and you want to find the best solution at a price you can afford! Keep in mind replacement items, safety considerations, and effectiveness in addressing the environmental root causes of your problems.

Post Likes
    ASHRAE has just released the Position Document on Filtration and Air Cleaning. It helps the industry understand Ozone and products that make claims of producing hydroperoxides and other Reactive Oxygen Species in the air. Pay special attention if you're offering ion generators, plasma generators, hydroperoxide or friendly oxidizer generators, or any other indoor air quality product that promotes throughout an occupied space.

Post Likes
    A fresh air change in 4-5 hours, Merv 11 air filtering, and maintain <55%RH are a good starting point for good air quality. The fresh air change rate purges indoor pollutatns and renews oxygen. The low %RH prevent biological from growing. This includes mold and dust mites.
    Beyond that do what you will.
    But these are basic minimums.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    very timely for me, that this old thread surfaced.
    SO's brother was talking about installing the cold plasma
    purifier @ their mother's house.

thanks for the link!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    I see this conversation took place a long time ago. Fast forward, there is a product called Phenomenal Aire that I'm considering for my home. Was hoping to get input here on the success, dangers, etc. of this technology.

Post Likes
    Did you/they see any results from the cold plasma purifier? Was it the Phenomenal Aire unit?

Post Likes

Phenomenal Aire Cold Plasma Technology

I'm hoping to get feedback on this technology. This thread started back in 2005 I think. Anyway, it's been over a decade and hoping someone has installed the Phenomenal Aire Purifier and can give me some info. Since I'm hyper-sensitive, creating a magnetic field in my home kinda worries me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast