Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    urine smell, yuck! had my truck in the shop after my girl wrecked it, left the windows down and cats pissed in it. ozonated it and smell went away.

however my concern to the manager was not the smell, its the odor causing agent and any other properties it has. something to think about

Post Likes
    If you sell the house knowing that the ductwork smells like urine, you might have to end up paying to replace the ductwork anyway (lawsuits), plus "pain and suffering."
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Post Likes
    I may be all wet, but....
    Having worked with fiber duct board once, (once too many), I seem to recall the strong odor when cutting through the material. I would suggest that you visit a local "ductboard using" contractor and see if the odor isn't from freshly exposed areas of your duct. You might not use the contractor who cleaned your ducts, though. Savvy?

Post Likes
    rdm
    Thanks for that idea - if I do consult the other contractor, what would be the remediation for the fact that the ducts were cut through.

By the way, the smell has lessened and changed

Post Likes
    coating the duct

Post Likes
    you said that the smell has changed, in what way did you change the cat's diet recently

Post Likes
    Ok I got to know...
    what happened?
    how did the smell change?

BTW you or previous owner didn't
    ahem,.. p*ss off the installers did you/they?

I hope your child's health is not
    suffering & that your problem is solved.

But really, let us know!!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    I don't think any type of sealant will do any good, that's the smelly problem, the fiberboard. I remember installing spacepack & unico systems with that fiberboard (round pipe) it was brand new and boyyy did it smell like piss! We were still told to install it. I'm sure glad they changed to rigid metal for the trunkline. Looks like you will have to replace that smelly ductwork.

Post Likes
    Coat it with a good coating and it will be fine

Post Likes
    Originally posted by drk
    Coat it with a good coating and it will be fine
    Go back and re-read OP's update.

Post Likes
    Damn Ferrets

Do you or did the previous owner have Ferrets

See condenseddave he is an expert on this subject

damn polecats, do a search on Ferrets

Post Likes
    It sounds like the problem is in the duct going to the kicthen. Is this where the smell is still the strongest? If you get some cooler weather you should try shuting off the unit that supplies the upstairs and kicthen for a day or so and see if the smell goes away. Then run just the other unit and see if there is a noticeable difference. I would experiment like this and try to isolate the problem.

Duct cleaning is one of the biggest scams I have ever seen. Homeowners can't see inside their ducts and herein lies the problem. With such a great open market to scam there are hundreds of outfits that spring up. There are a handful that do it right and the odds that you have found one of them is slim. Don't get any more duct cleaning done, your just throwing money away. Your money would be better spent towards a contractor that specializes in IAQ and is willing to solve your problem.

How long did you live in the house before the units were changed out and did it smell then?

You said the smell was foul, then it got worse, and now it is less and has changed. This sounds like a decaying animal to me. I remember a job I went on years ago that was somewhat similar. It was a peace and police officers association building in the city. The secretary told me when I arrived they had a bad smell in the building for quite some time but lately it has been worse, especially when the A/C is running. I checked out the roof top unit in question and couldn't find the source, although a slight foul smell did linger. I started walking around the inside and determined the smell was worse in the conference room. I lifted up many ceiling tiles until I came across an area that was pretty foul. It was near a steel pole which supported a main support beam of the building, and it was cased in on all sides by sheet rock. There were many anti smell canisters placed around it but apparently no one else who had come out to investigate the smell took a peek down this incased area. I stuck my head over it and looked down and saw the biggest rat I have ever seen in my life. I had no idea they could get that big, it was dark because it was above the ceiling tiles but I could see the outline of the body and the rings on its long tail. And once I had my nose right over the thing it was the foulest thing I have ever smelt to this day, worse than changing a diaper. I have no idea how this rat of this size got in, but it must have been crawling around on top of the ceiling tiles, fell into the encloser, and couldn't crawl back up and died.

My point is that the smell may seem like it comes from the ducts, but it could be something dead and hidden else where. Even my big nose had trouble finding that dead rat, took the better part of the morning. The ozone machine is just a band aid you still need to find the source. Good luck in your search for the smell.

Post Likes

Question So???

What happened?! This was like reading a mystery novel...I'm dying to know what the final outcome was!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast