Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Noise and vibration from roof ventilation fan

I have lived at the top floor of a 12 story high rise apartment for over 10 years. In January 2011 I noticed a loud noise from one of the roof fans located above my bedroom. This is a fan that ventilates 3 of the 30 apartments on my floor. I contacted apartment service and they told me that they just changed the fan belt on the roof ventilation fan and that the belt needed to “break in”. The noise did not improve and it seemed to get worse. Then they decided to replace the motor, but they installed a very large motor and the noise problem got worse. In February they were able to adjust the motor so that the sound was not as loud, but just recently the sound has become even louder.

It sounds like a washing machine on the spin cycle and there is a wobbling noise. The wall of my living room is vibrating and I have noise in the bedroom, living room, and especially the bathroom where there is a vent. It sounds like a roaring noise there. Outside my door there is a vent and it is also very loud. The noise is driving me crazy, but the apartment services people don’t know what the problem is and they are acting like I’m making a fuss. They heard the noise when they came to my apartment but since they don’t know how to fix it they are trying to act like dealing with it is my problem.

Do any of you know what could be causing this noise? Do you have any ideas to solve the noise problem? Thank you!

Post Likes
    I would probably make them come out and fix it. It could be a few different things. If the fan blades have built up debris on them such as lint or dust then it could cause the fan be heavier on one side and vibrate and rattle. The shaft that connects to the actual fan may also be bent, even a slight bend will cause it to be misaligned. We had the same problem in one of our commercial building and we did the same things they did, in the end we ended up buying a new fan. Not cheap but fixed the problem. I would keep calling until they got sick of hearing from you. Let us know how it turns out.

Post Likes
    Thanks HVAC-Matt!

Post Likes
    They are idiots. Trying to be cheap. Tell em to replace the whole fan or get that pos to quiet down, threaten to call the health Dept. They really hate that as the HD will walk through the entire apt, maybe the whole Bldg., and find all kind of stuff wrong.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    They are idiots. Trying to be cheap. Tell em to replace the whole fan or get that pos to quiet down, threaten to call the health Dept. They really hate that as the HD will walk through the entire apt, maybe the whole Bldg., and find all kind of stuff wrong.
    X2....most likely the bearings are worn out and the shaft is wobbling. It could be other things too but the bearings are a common cause of that.

Post Likes
    Very often an old, beat up fan is ok till you change the belt and it is running like it should, and since it is worn out, the higher speed makes it noisy.
    Thats very common.
    Its time for a new fan.

Post Likes

Thanks Diceman and Upnort!

Thanks for your opinion guys- they actually did replace the fan a few months ago, or it may have been the motor for the fan that was replaced. They are trying to say that the new fan/motor is very powerful and that is why it is noisy, but I still say I should not hear it in my apartment. You are right- these people are cheap! I will keep fighting until they correct the problem!

Post Likes
    I'm telling ya, as a last resort, they hate the health dept.

Post Likes
    I like that idea Diceman and yes they are being cheap. Lisa J they may have replaced the motor but they should replace the whole unit. A new unit should cost maybe $700 max if it only does 3 units I bet one month of your rent would cover that.

Post Likes
    A brand new fan will be shinny, silver dome and all. if the dome still looks faded all they did was change the motor.

Lisa what are you wearing?
    Dice wanted me to ask...
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by secorp View Post
    A brand new fan will be shinny, silver dome and all. if the dome still looks faded all they did was change the motor.

Lisa what are you wearing?
    Dice wanted me to ask...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Don't ask secorp to ask any more questions ... it's mean ... you know he's simple ...
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Don't ask secorp to ask any more questions ... it's mean ... you know he's simple ...
    And you are gruppy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast