+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victory VF-1 Single Door Freezer

Post Likes

Lightbulb

THanks for the lesson..... Ice, I'm certain there wil be many more

AS to the Question About adding a Receiver, The one I remoted I made sure to have a receiver but you shoud be ok w/o one...its not like you are remoting it... As long as you have the charge set properly, just set your charge to SH and SC and off you go..
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Post Likes
    Lots of good info on this thread guys. Keep it coming Cap tubes work great (with no moving parts) as long as they don't wax up. The last
    Victory 1 door freezer i repaired had 2 cap tubes but it was R12. TXV is a good long term fix as well. If you don't add a receiver any overcharge will back up in the condenser and that's not good. Might want to add a sight glass to your list. Now look at all of this stuff compared to a piece of copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Would I also need a receiver or can I have a TXV without a receiver?
    I've found while it's always a good idea to add a receiver & sightglass with a TXV conversion, it's not always absolutely necessary. This is because some units have fairly generously sized condenser coils with four or even more rows of tubes.

This allows for enough coil volume to store any refrigerant which tends to back up in it without significantly affecting the discharge pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    THanks for the lesson..... Ice, I'm certain there wil be many more
    The newly-formed Sight Design Committee (SDC) plans to add some much improved instructional material to the site when we do the next major upgrade to the site's software. This will include some helpful tutorials with graphics as well as some How-To videos. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Lots of good info on this thread guys. Keep it coming
    Rumor has it ...our own Andy Schoen, at Tecumseh, has developed an all-new, online capillary tube sizing application which will soon be added to their new website:

I believe it'll also include cap tube resizing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I've found while it's always a good idea to add a receiver & sightglass with a TXV conversion, it's not always absolutely necessary. This is because some units have fairly generously sized condenser coils with four or even more rows of tubes.

This allows for enough coil volume to store any refrigerant which tends to back up in it without significantly affecting the discharge pressure.
    I run into quite a few reach in freezers with TXV's but no receiver. I've always supposed they should be treated pretty much the same as systems with receivers, although the need for a clean condenser becomes even more important since the liquid storage reduces the condensing capacity.

Are there any other considerations that are unique to this configuration? It isn't something that one sees in the literature.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdave View Post
    I run into quite a few reach in freezers with TXV's but no receiver. I've always supposed they should be treated pretty much the same as systems with receivers, although the need for a clean condenser becomes even more important since the liquid storage reduces the condensing capacity.

Are there any other considerations that are unique to this configuration? It isn't something that one sees in the literature.
    As I see it, those units with TXVs and no receiver are still critically charged systems and for the most part I've found doing conversions, the charge to be fairly close to what is stated on the nameplate for cap tube operation.

The only other things have already been mentioned I think. That being you'll need a receiver if the condensing unit is remote and/or if you set the compressor to control on a continuous pumpdown cycle.

Personally, I think the ultimate would to take some beast like a True GDM72F Freezer and convert it to a TXV along with a receiver, sightglass and pumpdown, controlled with a Paragon ERC-2 which would include defrost, fan delay, defrost termination and alarm.

Post Likes

Rumor has it ...our own Andy Schoen, at Tecumseh, has developed an all-new, online capillary tube sizing application which will soon be added to their new website:

I believe it'll also include cap tube resizing.
    It ain't too far away now. I had to recode my web app a bit for the site I'll place it on.

It might knock your socks off.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes

Victory VF-1

The Victory VF1 uses a dual cap tube system. Each cap tube is .036 ID x 14' long. The evaporator has 2 circuits. So each cap tube goes to a seperate evap coil circuit. You must have 48" of heat exchange between the cap tubes and the suction line. I would recommend buying direct from the factory their heat exchange assembly so your not guessing. The Victory part number you want to get is 50903701.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim K Victory View Post
    The Victory VF1 uses a dual cap tube system. Each cap tube is .036 ID x 14' long. The evaporator has 2 circuits. So each cap tube goes to a seperate evap coil circuit. You must have 48" of heat exchange between the cap tubes and the suction line. I would recommend buying direct from the factory their heat exchange assembly so your not guessing. The Victory part number you want to get is 50903701.
    Welcome to HVAC-Talk Jim K Victory!

You wouldn't happen to be the "JK" who did the electrical schematics in this manual would you?

Our Educational Forums area has a listing for Victory's website and the Technical Manuals. We're always looking for more links and technical reference info to share with our Pro members.

Get you post count up and apply for Pro Status so you can access a lot more on the site...or if you are indeed a representative of Victory, we may be able to get you a special dispensation in this regard.

Post Likes
    Yes, I did the schematics. I am an engineer for Victory Refrigeration.
    I am new to this forum. What is Pro Status in this forum?
    Regards,
    Jim

Post Likes
    Hi Jim,

Here's the scoop on Pro Status and how to get it:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

We always give special welcome to factory types like yourself who are willing and able to share information.

Post Likes
    Welcome Jim K Victory,
    It would be great if we could discuss Victory questions here.
    How did you find us ?

Post Likes
    I was researching something on the internet and it directed me to your forum.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I believe i spoke with you sometime last week about a older 3 door Victory freezer with no model tag.
    It's great you found us here. Lots of good guys come to this site.

Post Likes
    I'm glad we have Jim on board because one thing I've been wondering about for some time has been, "How do manufacturer's size their cap tubes?"

I don't expect to gain any corporate secrets of course, but I thought to get a general discussion going on this may be helpful for all concerned.

Most of us here on H-Talk are service types who, especially after the R134A/POE oil change came about, have been replacing cap tubes at a rate never before seen in this business.

The availability of capillary tube sizing information for us in the field has been limited to offerings from Supco, J.B.Industries and perhaps a couple more if you're willing to dig for it, none of which are in any sort of agreement.

But for manufacturers, I have heard it's really been a matter of trial and error sizing for the most part. Is that true?

Also, while we're on the cap tube topic, have you seen the newest cap tube calculator from Tecumseh yet?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....2#post11368892

Post Likes
    I'm glad we have Jim on board because one thing I've been wondering about for some time has been, "How do manufacturer's size their cap tubes?"

I don't expect to gain any corporate secrets of course, but I thought to get a general discussion going on this may be helpful for all concerned.

Most of us here on H-Talk are service types who, especially after the R134A/POE oil change came about, have been replacing cap tubes at a rate never before seen in this business.

The availability of capillary tube sizing information for us in the field has been limited to offerings from Supco, J.B.Industries and perhaps a couple more if you're willing to dig for it, none of which are in any sort of agreement.

But for manufacturers, I have heard it's really been a matter of trial and error sizing for the most part. Is that true?

Also, while we're on the cap tube topic, have you seen the newest cap tube calculator from Tecumseh yet?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....2#post11368892
    I like it I see it gives a compressor model number as well. Also did you see they list ( Hot Shot ) Does that mean they accept it as a refrigerant ?

Post Likes
    I like it I see it gives a compressor model number as well. Also did you see they list ( Hot Shot ) Does that mean they accept it as a refrigerant ?
    I have no problems with folks using it on our R-12 compressors.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    Victory has some of the biggest name plate tags out of all of them.
    Just wishing this cap tube info went out with each box.
    On a tag....perment marker....whatever

PLEASE
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    I have no problems with folks using it on our R-12 compressors.
    Andy,
    I have never had any problems with Hot Shot personally. Well accept in low temp. apps.
    Some members here believe their are warranty issues with some compressor manufactures.

P.S.
    Looking forward to using your cap sizeing chart.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Victory has some of the biggest name plate tags out of all of them.
    Just wishing this cap tube info went out with each box.
    On a tag....perment marker....whatever

PLEASE
    itsiceman,
    The last Victory freezer i looked at had the tag removed.
    But get this........ on top the lid for the evaporator was a factory lable with part #'s for 4 differant parts.
    Lucky for me one of them was the line set. With that part # i was able to get the cap tube size from Victory.

Post Likes
    P.S.
    Looking forward to using your cap sizeing chart.
    If I can figure out a new chart that would impress Henry Ehrens... http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/Man...g%20Manual.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in