+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FHP expansion valve problem

Post Likes

FHP expansion valve problem

I have been asked to take over a bldg. w/ several florida heat pumps wich 9 units have had expansion valve failures apparently! Before accepting the work wondering if anyone has had any problems similar with FHP unit water to air 3-6 ton. I am obviosly concerned that they were diagnosed properly but the previous contractor is very reputable

Post Likes
    Have had a couple, 9 in one building does seem a bit high. We have seen some water flow issues give simular symptums.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mo geo man View Post
    Have had a couple, 9 in one building does seem a bit high. We have seen some water flow issues give simular symptums.
    i would have to agree with geo man . Ive had 12 carrier wshp that were giving the same symptums and turns out to be water flow issue.

Post Likes
    Had one today on a two stage FHP (20 ton) one bad valve, the other works perfect, same water on both compressors...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    I have to replace the power heads on many FHP 10 to 20 tons
    They do not appear to have a separate circuit for heating
    The TX appears to be Bi-Directional, no check valve.
    Yes they fail often on units less than 5 years old.
    Only good thing is that they let me know the TX power head is bad by
    showing a low suction pressure with a very high discharge pressure of over 290 Pounds.
    It could be that the Sporlan kt style Expansion valve elements are faulty to
    begin with.
    At any rate they appear to have a high failure rate.

Post Likes
    Ok so many of us are replacing those tx's. Some of us are not getting the unit running even after replacement. I'm going to work on a problem unit that has never operated more the 20 minutes without tripping. In heat or cool now. My issue is a year old. I'm thinking water flow now. so thats what I'm going to revisit. If I recall my unit requires 12 gpm and the pump is sized right.
    Same problems looks like a design issue with in the unit. TX or water flow restriction.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in