Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    when the liberty places were going up in philly, we used to have to take delivieries at night due to the traffic in the city. we used to rotate the overtime ot ake sure all the guys got a chance at the overtime, as well as the view. nothing like offloading pipe from the outside hoist on the upper floors in the clouds! The best was when I had a guy who neever worked in the city, and he had a death grip on the hoist every time it crossed an extension and rattled all over the place. once we got up on the high fifties, he wouldnt leave the car, lol.

Post Likes
    S.O.B

screw that
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Like they say, its not the fall that hurts, just the sudden stop at the bottom.
    ya, nothing worse than deceleration trauma or Cement Poisoning
    PANIC
    Rarely works

Post Likes
    I'm not privy to the numbers, but the scaffold easily doubled the cost of the install. We installed a set of 3 - 4 foot extensions to get the hi and lo taps all the way to the window to check pressures. That is about all the service we can do aside from spraying down the outdoor coil. The guy who owns the apartment is prety understanding of the limitations the install presents, and he has DEEP pockets as evidenced by the green handshake he gave me as I left. So the extra margin is worth it for him apparently.

It is another instance where anything is possible if you are willing to pay for it.

I thoroughly enjoy working in high places like that. Basically I treat it like a roller coaster. Strap yourelf in and then enjoy the ride.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Techs who can handle heights like that are just plain AWESOME.
    I cannot and will not work in situations like that, my guts and knees won't allow it.
    Yes, I am not someone who cannot handle heights very well. Rooftops are OK up to about 35-40 feet with a parapet wall but, higher than that or no wall around the perimeter, no can do.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Wish I had the guts for those kind of heights ......... but I don't

Post Likes
    I am gonna take an easy way out... I am too old for that...

Cool pics and good job... just not for me anymore.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    There haven't printed enough money to get me up there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    That's a little too high for me also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Thats one of those calls for bids ya get that when you get there to look at it or ahead of time, know how tall the building is .......ahhhh were way to busy ( even if were not)

.Is it just me or is it normal that the older I get the less I like heights on anything taller then 3 stories unless I have roof access and at least a 2' parapet wall, if Im going over by the edge. I hate those little 4" to 6" paripet walls that are no more than a hand grip.

Post Likes
    Up until 2 1/2 years ago I used to climb radio towers, the real tall ones
    had small 2 man elevator that run up the middle of the tower (very small).

You do your work with a safety belt hanging out the side of the
    tower for a hour or so. You had to have a lot of nerve because
    you were 50 to 90 stories high. Anything go wrong there you had
    a little time to say your peace. The highest I went was 1210' up
    a 1311' tower.

The pay was great great, but when you start to loose your nerve
    you best hang it up.

I quit because I was getting older, and had been doing that for 29
    years with no accidents, figured my luck was getting thin.

Post Likes
    Any regs on the window A/Cs. Looks like you can give the top one a push and pancake the rest. I would be more scared looking up at them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edward301 View Post
    Up until 2 1/2 years ago I used to climb radio towers...You had to have a lot of nerve because.you were 50 to 90 stories high....The pay was great great, but when you start to loose your nerve
    you best hang it up.
    That's about 40-80 stories higher than I care to be up. I don't have hardly anything to claim - swinging back and forth 100' up on a snorkel lift working on 3" nitrogen lines, riding on top a moving crane (working on the cab A/C) feeding steel into a large pail which got put into an electric arc furnace, and putting in some refer lines on a ledge 7 stories up (which took a bit to navigate for me). 90 stories up hanging - not for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast