+ Reply to Thread

Thread: frigidaire chest freezer

Post Likes

frigidaire chest freezer

The freezer in question needs a compressor. It seems like it had been replaced before. The discharge loop that comes in and out of the box had been cut out and remade, I believe to be able to pull the compressors in and out. So I checked to see a stub that comes into the compressor compartment for a cap tube connection. Couldn't see a stub. The cap tube goes right into the box. Now if I end up finding a clogged cap tube that's gonna be a problem. There is another line coming out with the suction line about 10" long and crimped. ( So we have the suction line, cap tube and the crimped piece coming out of the box,three tubes..). I tried to call the factory support to no avail, since I am not an authorized service tech.
    Do you know if that crimped line is for a possible cap tube connection?
    MN 8DF-7
    SN 51570011
    115V, R22
    The existing compressor ARE37C3-IAA-103

Post Likes
    Just so we're on the same page here, does this freezer look like this?

That's a Electrolux/Kelvinator Commercial/Frigidaire Model 8DF Ice Cream Cabinet.

I don't have any info on it for you, and if whoever owns that operation (this week) likely wouldn't be able to help much either.

It's been a while since I've seen any of these, but my guess is that mysterious stub tube coming out of the case might be a cap tube bypass line as you suspected. It would be simple enough to figure out.

My main concern here is you say this is R22 but that ARE37-C3 is rated for R12 HT/LT. Was that a typo?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Just so we're on the same page here, does this freezer look like this?

That's a Electrolux/Kelvinator Commercial/Frigidaire Model 8DF Ice Cream Cabinet.

I don't have any info on it for you, and if whoever owns that operation (this week) likely wouldn't be able to help much either.

It's been a while since I've seen any of these, but my guess is that mysterious stub tube coming out of the case might be a cap tube bypass line as you suspected. It would be simple enough to figure out.

My main concern here is you say this is R22 but that ARE37-C3 is rated for R12 HT/LT. Was that a typo?
    Thanks Ice. Yes that's the cabinet. The label says R22. I haven't checked that compressor yet. So it's R12 ha? No wonder.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    Thanks Ice. Yes that's the cabinet. The label says R22. I haven't checked that compressor yet. So it's R12 ha? No wonder.
    I have worked on dipping chest that had R22 in them but icemiester is correct those numbers show R12. Did someone put the wrong compressor in or is that tag wrong ?

Post Likes
    Have you tried here? http://www.kelvinator.com/contact_us.asp

I can find some of the old info for Arctic Air/Broich but I haven't found anything on that model.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Those Cold wall chest freezers are finished if you get a captube restriction. R12 units were never bad on restrictions but the new 134a units are the worst!

those crimped tubes are factory process stubs. strictly for charging and then factory sealed/crimped. Im thinking these are what you were talking about?

Good luck

Post Likes
    Well, I came across another one of these freezers. I did change the cap tube using that charging stub, it worked fine until the R22 leaked out the next day. I felt there was a leak but didn't know how fast it was until the next day.
    Took the still running compressor out and will install it on the other customer's unit at a used price..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in