Thread: Are wall-mounted electric heaters safe?

Post Likes

Are wall-mounted electric heaters safe?

I have 2 cold bedrooms due to an imbalance in my hot-water baseboard system. Would a professionally installed electric wall-mounted heater in each room be safe? I would make sure to have the electric professionally done, with
    dedicated circuits if needed. These would be running all night. I am nervous about cheap, free-standing units while sleeping.
    I don't really care about cost or efficiency, just safety.
    (And the quieter, the better.)

Can anyone recommend the best ones to buy? The rooms are about 10x12x7 feet.
    I am considering this as an alternative to adding zones/pipes to my existing system (or adding a 2nd independent system for the area, which seems like overkill).

Thanks for any help.
    Homeowner in central NJ.

Post Likes
    Electric baseboard heaters are among the safest form of home heating. Very quiet to near silent for the better ones.

Also one of the most expensive ways to heat a room.

Post Likes
    Electric BB heaters do get much hotter than typical hot water. As far as if they have the potential to start fires I would say maybe. Electrical outlets cannot be over them per code, and common sense should be used, keep curtains, clothes etc. out of them. During an audit once I noticed a beanbag chair on one, it was near melting.

If I were you I would pursue getting those hot water baseboards working instead, in the end it will cost you less.

Post Likes
    If I were in your shoes I would look to repipe and zone the hot water system as this would be the safest most ecconomical and most comfortable solution.
    There are really hundreds of electrical wall heaters on the market .Most of them can be controlled with a thermostat,and most of them are completely safe.

Post Likes
    In this area, I wouldnt do that, but if you have to I would buy the oil filled type from a pro. instead of quick on/off cycles, the act morel ike hydronic baseboard where they heat up the oil slowly, release the btus into the space and cool slowly. much better, and not much more dough rae me.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.
    There are wall heaters that are not baseboards that I was thinking of:
    http://www.marleymep.com/en/qmark/pr...l-heaters.aspx

Some of these have fans, some are recessed into the wall.
    This company Qmark makes some expensive ones, and there are others.
    I haven't seen much discussion on them. Again, these are not baseboards.
    Some are even on the ceiling (not too efficient, but I guess they work).