+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air leaks since 2005

Post Likes

air leaks since 2005

Unbelievable, several tech couldn't find out why in the heat of the day these units wouldn't cool.
    The last two techs told the owner that vandal damage the condenser coils is why its not keeping up.
    The two units was installed with the shipping cardboard and plywood still under units.

Post Likes

Cardboard

Are they gas-packs? I wonder if the heat exchangers are any good if so. You would think the noise would have told them there was little air getting through. Didn't the customer notice that it was not moving as much as as it should?

Post Likes
    WOW

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vacdaddyt View Post
    Are they gas-packs? I wonder if the heat exchangers are any good if so. You would think the noise would have told them there was little air getting through. Didn't the customer notice that it was not moving as much as as it should?
    That is a side discharge unit, so that cardboard in not blocking the supply and return air drops. I thought the same thing when I first looked at it.

So once you got some panning in there and sealed it up how did it perform?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vacdaddyt View Post
    The store doesn't use the gas heat. They have a electric duct heater in ducts in the store. I did check the heat exchanger when I pan the bottom of the units. Yes the heat exchangers were full of water, but no cracks or holes in them. What a screw up installation.

Post Likes
    So once you got some panning in there and sealed it up how did it perform?[/QUOTE]
    The units are working about 100% better since we comb the coils, and pan the bottoms

Post Likes
    Sometimes I think Techs are blind fools. How bad were they leaking air, couldn't you feel a cold draft?

I went on a callback on a fellow tech one time, he diagnosed and installed a new txv on a Trane. Unit still didnt' cool, he skeedaddled telling the customer it'll just take a while for that new valve to adjust ...I go there and the thing is running perfect, but there is no airflow in 2/3 of the house. Pop up the skuttle and the attic is cold in the middle af a 92 degree day. Cable guy knocked the supply loose after a junction box. I guess that txv can't solve a duct problem. Blind Tech idiot.

Post Likes
    I felt the air leaking from under units, but I couldn't believe it...that everyone missed it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in