Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pully alignment

Post Likes
    How do you guys align pulleys on belt driven blowers? Is there a tool for this?

Post Likes
    Use a streight edge to line the pullies

an "expert" Guest
    I hope you're not asking, because you couldn't figure out how? This is very basic geometry, straight lines and all.
    I carry a roll of string, easier to store than staight-edges and you can cut it to any length needed to do the specific job. If you need an explaination on how to use a piece of string to align pulleys, I'd start lookin' for a new career.
    You can always use the string to fill in the down time, by tying it to a kite and the hours literally, fly by.

[Edited by an "expert" on 12-16-2004 at 10:38 PM]

Post Likes
    take two duct detector test magnets (the fat square ones).

take one laser lever.

set the magnets and level on same plane.

point laser dot on one side/edge of magnet and mark a dot in that spot with a sharpie.

do same thing on opposite side of magnet with sharpie

now draw an accurate straight line connecting the dots this will be your reference point.

do this with other magnet.

now stick laser level on blower motor sheave and two magnets on blower drive sheave opposite of each other 180'.

adjust motor to get laser in line on both magnets and you will be within 1/16 of an inch of course not counting any play in the shafts mainly motor.

this only works with motor and blower sheaves that have the same thickness wall.

I used to use dental floss due to its streangth and fine accuracy.

Allen

Post Likes
    No I wasnt asking because i didnt know how. i was just wondering how everyone else did it and if anyone uses any special tools

an "expert" Guest
    Sorry if I ruffled yer feathers, ya just never know who's asking and why.
    I try to keep things as simple as possible and you don't get any simpler than a piece of string.
    What do you use?

Post Likes
    Straight edge. String is a good idea though. i might give it a try

an "expert" Guest
    I've got staight edges, made by Starette, I use for some precision type work. Turns out, they are always too short or too long for the pulley alignment jobs.

Post Likes
    Find someone in the shop you trust for their opinion that you know won't hold the question against you and ask for a one time demonstration.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by an "expert"
    I hope you're not asking, because you couldn't figure out how? If you need an explaination on how to use a piece of string to align pulleys, I'd start lookin' for a new career.
    Your the reason a lot of guys quit asking questions!

The idea here is to share knowledge. Not down another tradesman.

If you are self taught and never had to resort to asking questions .... then I guess your different.

I better slow down here.... I can feel "The James" coming on me now .... and you dont need that.

an "expert" Guest
    Like I said, Sorry!

I typed a long winded response and after rereading the darned thing I decided ( keep it simple ) you might be the problem you stated. How's that?
    I shared my method of aligning pulleys, you got a better way?

[Edited by an "expert" on 12-17-2004 at 12:01 AM]

Post Likes
    Mechanic, good save.

Some dont think twice about speaking their mind.

Here is probably the one place I try to refrain from doing exactly that. Cause some would certainly be upset.

And who needs that ...

I can watch people's reaction to my words when in person. But online, even here where I'm "known" ... it's difficult at best to know what somebody means when they respond a certain way.

It does help though, when I have talked with someone over the phone and thru e-mail prior to seeing a post from them which says; "are you crazy Bob?"

I know where they're coming from.

I figure the numbers like this. And this is just my personal off the cuff guestimate.

30K members, and growing rapidly. VERY rapidly.
    1000 regular contributors
    100 junkies
    25 guys without a life apart from this, sleep and work

And to keep track of how someone is gona react or receive a given responce ... even made in jest ... kinda gotta make it light.
    Until we know how they are.

Dice ... on the other hand ... with threads like: "Who wants to argue with me?" .... he is just asking for trouble!!!

Glad to see your a straight shooter. Glad to be here together

Post Likes
    Laser alignment kit. A string will work until you can buy the kit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast