Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training!

Post Likes

training!

Should employees be paid for time spent training? Traveling to training?

I am referring to training done by our wholesaler but not product specific. For example "R410A Evacuation and Charging".

the employer says... "Since the training benefits you personally, we will no longer compensate you for time spent in training."

Is that a legal practice?

Btw I am the employee here

I wanna hear it now....

Both barrels!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    Should employees be paid for time spent training? Traveling to training?

I am referring to training done by our wholesaler but not product specific. For example "R410A Evacuation and Charging".

the employer says... "Since the training benefits you personally, we will no longer compensate you for time spent in training."

Is that a legal practice?

Btw I am the employee here

I wanna hear it now....

Both barrels!!!
    You seem to already know what the answer to this question is. Do people get paid to go to college? Medical school? Business school?

As far as I am concerned, we get off really lucky when we don't have to pay for the training. As one who has been in the position of training others in the HVAC industry, I know that someone has to pay for my time. Training costs money and benefits both the employee and the employer, but only as long as that employee is working for that employer. The one who received the training is the one who benefits most from the training.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

oh, really.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Do people get paid to go to college? Medical school? Business school?
    Hi Roboteq No, they do not. They pay their own way. And certainly do not get paid for it.

But once they graduate and are hired.... and the company they work for decides to send them to some "company specific" sales training????????????? How "fortunate" should we consider that?

Post Likes
    I had at least a few hour nightmare about work last night and about ems. I believe I should be paid for that. It must have benefited the company. I will put OT on my time card I was after hours after all just like most training classes

Post Likes
    In fact I think I will charge the company for reading on this site. The work never ends!

Post Likes

seems like i'm getting shut down here!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Hi Roboteq No, they do not. They pay their own way. And certainly do not get paid for it.

But once they graduate and are hired.... and the company they work for decides to send them to some "company specific" sales training????????????? How "fortunate" should we consider that?
    You should consider yourself very fortunate that your company is paying for your training and not expect to be paid for time that is benefitting you with an advancement on your education.

I have never turned down any training oportunity that I was able to attend....ever.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Don't let it bother you. The fact that you are on this site says that you are the type of person who wants to learn in order to better yourself. Now you don't have to feel like you are somehow giving away your time because you realize it is all beneficial to you.

You will advance in the industry while those who do not attend training classes will not.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    If the class is held during the regular work day we normally will pay up to 8 hours. If is evening training we pay for the class and the tech is on his own time. All after hours training is strickly voluntary

Post Likes
    You should get paid your normal 8 hrs a day when traveling to classes. Plus expenses of course. We have a career development for our technicians and each go to remote classes. Of course we pay them their wages while they are gone. If your employer doesn't then why stay. That's just greedy and stupid. I would not feel comfortable working for a company that did that. If they screw you on that minor of an issue, they will screw you on every issue.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Post Likes
    The company I work for pays for the class, time at regular pay even if overtime, but does not pay travel to or from.
    I feel very well treated.
    luck dan

Post Likes

Ahh

So it sounds like it is common to get paid for training during work hours....

But NOT required by law.

To Robo and others: I think training without pay is still way better than just "no training."

But I am wondering if there is a legal aspect to it.
    In my case the training is elective... it's up to me if I go or not.
    But if it is mandatory training required by the company, Can they force you to attend it without pay??

Post Likes
    The only training I have not been paid for was an elective or after-hours product specific class. But like RoboTeq, I've never turned down an opportunity to learn something new, even if others I worked with said I was "wasting my time".

All of the out of town manufacturer training classes and regular work-day stuff has been 100% paid for by the company I worked for and I was compensated for my time.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast