Post Likes

Talking Wireless Routers and building sites

Greetings all Who's used a wireless router on a (perhaps even multistory) building site for point to point, commissioning etc.?
    I wasn't after anything TOO high end, it's going to get knocked around a little, but I like my gadgets, and I don't mind investing in good ones..

The main thing I'm interested in is RANGE baby I've got a new laptop with wireless N built in (dell latitude e6400), but i'm also wondering if the standard in-built wireless reception might improve alot with some type of aftermarket aerial/thing? It's not vital I go between floors, but it'd save a lot of back-and-forthing.

I did read a blog about overclocking a netgear, adding a heatsink and fan (the thing looked like some steampunked device in the end) and being able to broadcast at a level bordering on illegal, but I heard wireless has a hard time penetrating concrete slabs etc no matter how powerful the signal...

I'd love to hear about anyones succesful set-up, thanks for reading!
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    Wont be any diofferent then using a wired connection, just need security settings for your wireless LAN so the I-Phones of the world cant mess with your HVAC
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    This is the highest power adapter that I know of. You could get a nice 9dBi omni to complement it for additional range. You'd need two laptops and two adapters, one to work with and another to act as the AP. I don't know about the Windows driver but the Linux driver supports power limiting and AGC from the CL (at least the older model did).

You could also just grab one of these and pick up a better antenna, ERP with the included omni is only about 315mw. Just remember you can only legally go up to a maximum ERP of 36dBm (4 watts) so keep that in mind if/when you start looking at high gain directionals.

Yes, 2.4 and 5.0 do not penetrate concrete that well but they do reflect a lot. This can induce a lot of fading but it can also get your signal in places you might not think possible.

R/ D1G

Post Likes
    I would suggest a DD-WRT configuration personally.

It is 3rd party firmware for wireless routers where you can tweak transmit power signals.

I would suggest something with RP-TNC or SMA antenna connectors for your wireless routers becuase it will give you the most options as far as external antennas. You can set the transmit power on the routers all the way up to 251mw. So with a 9db gain antenna in a perfect loss-less world you are looking at ~2000mw (2 watts) ERP.

I make sure every router that I buy for home is compatiable with DD-WRT. It is really awesome firmware. I suggest it to everyone.

Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure the hack/guide to overclocking a wireless router mentioned a linux firmware, maybe it is the ddrt firmware you speak of. Hmmm...
    In my opinion, any 'tuning' that means you need to add a great f*%& off heatsink and fan is a win in my opinion

Thanks all
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    I second the DD-WRT. Did that on my home router, pretty cool stuff and way more than I will ever mess with. Also second buying one that you can attach an external antenna. Had to a router in an AHU as it was the closet point, still a fair distance, but punched through and stuck the external magnetic antenna on it and it worked great.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."