+ Reply to Thread

Thread: geothermal noise / shipping bolts?

Post Likes

geothermal noise / shipping bolts?

I am getting some vibrations in an attic install that are really noisy. Everyone says to check the shipping bolts.

Are these shipping bolts?

Post Likes
    Yes sir... The one on the right. Not the compressor bolt.
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

3. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well I just looked at it with a technician. He moved the control board and showed me the hole and sticker labeled "shipping bolt" (already removed) and was neither of these bolts. Not sure what to do next, but I know we still need further vibration isolation.

Post Likes
    I would bet not all the shipping bolts are removed. Your compressor should be floating on springs or isolation pads and should move easily.
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

Post Likes
    Oldschoolmetal, thanks for the help. The manual states there is only one bolt:

"Prior to setting the unit in place, remove and discard the compressor hold down
    shipping bolt located at the front of the compressor mounting bracket."

The unit is sitting on nine 3" thick foam blocks which are sitting inside a metal drain pan, which is sitting on the attic floor, which is directly above my kitchen.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Perfect example

of why we don't set heat pumps in the attic...

Bergy

Post Likes
    I bet that was fun,dragging a Water Furnace into your attic.Really,it should be sitting on a plastic pad,too but I doubt that will help the vibration.I installed one a few years ago-a downflow in a closet.We sat it on 3 sheets of that foam block with the center cut out and a piece of duct through them.It was quiet as a mouse,but what a PITA to install.My helper was like"where does the canvas go?"lol

Post Likes
    The unit is sitting on nine 3" thick foam blocks which are sitting inside a metal drain pan, which is sitting on the attic floor, which is directly above my kitchen.

I would use 1 piece to support the entire bottom of the cabinet.

Post Likes
    sbinnc,

Unfortunately, noise is difficult to resolve over the internet. If your contractor is unable to find a resolution, please have him contact our technical support staff, as they will be more than happy to offer their assistance.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Post Likes
    You might still have noise even after removing the bolt. Really, it's just the sound of money (that's what my installer always says).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergy View Post
    of why we don't set heat pumps in the attic...

Bergy
    Exactly.....ever consider hanging unit from roof? Sounds extreme, but that way you can isolate it completely.

Post Likes
    Is there a reason why no one has asked him to jiggle the compressor manually by hand and if it bounces around all over the place the shipping bolts are removed.. and if its as solid as a rock then the shipping bolts is in place no matter what the tech told you. .and i agree with the first post.. the bolt on the right looks like a shipping bolt and the one on the left is a compressor bolt.. Didn't your technician shake the compressor to show you how nicely its suspendend on springs.. simple quick test...
    I have had 3 water to air installed in the last 30 days in the same house and i had to order them to come back and remove the shipping bolts.. and on the last one the tech said they had removed them... a bold faced lie.. so i called the company president and told him to get someone out to remove the shipping bolts or come get the unit.. He came personally with a tech to remove them for the third time in 30 days.. you would think that after calling 2 times to get them out on the third install they would have made sure.. WRONG!
    Last edited by govtom; 07-28-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added last line.

15. Likes kdean1, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sbinnc View Post
    Well I just looked at it with a technician. He moved the control board and showed me the hole and sticker labeled "shipping bolt" (already removed) and was neither of these bolts. Not sure what to do next, but I know we still need further vibration isolation.
    My guess is you had a shipping bolt in the control panel and the compressor and the one under the panel may have been a panel shipping bolt... however never seen that before.. just give the compressor the jiggle test and you will know for sure or google shipping bolts for your exact model and the pix will show it to you for sure..

17. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Those should have dampeners on the compressor base. Make sure They're free and not bolted down or otherwise secured via shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in