+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fieldpiece temp clamp calibration???

Post Likes

Fieldpiece temp clamp calibration???

Just bought the Fieldpiece clamps for line temperature and NO calibration instructions. It only says to see thermometers calibration instructions.
    I went to the web site to find not much else.

Does this mean that im supposed to immerse the temp clamp in ice water?Just like the little thermocouple temp sensors????

Pretty poor instructions or lack of instructions rather.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I like to fill a large glass or pitcher with crushed ice and water. Then cut a piece of copper pipe(3/4") so it sticks out of the water a couple inches. I'll attach the clamp to the pipe right above the surface of the water and set the meter to 32deg. Works like a charm.

I guess you could dunk the whole clamp, but I didn't think it was necessary.

Post Likes
    yeah thats what u have to do, calibrate all your temp sensers at the same time, just make a bowl of ice water, immerse all your temp sensers and calibrate the instrument to 32*, its not gonna hurt any of them to get them wet, anytime u attach about to a suction line it will get wet. i like to do this every couple months to ensure im getting good readings.

and if u use a k-type bead thermociouple and your in a crunch and u think the reading isnt correct, u can always put it under your toungue and u should get about 98.6*, done this a couple times when i doubt lol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettgetsmwet04 View Post
    yeah thats what u have to do, calibrate all your temp sensers at the same time, just make a bowl of ice water, immerse all your temp sensers and calibrate the instrument to 32*, its not gonna hurt any of them to get them wet, anytime u attach about to a suction line it will get wet. i like to do this every couple months to ensure im getting good readings.

and if u use a k-type bead thermociouple and your in a crunch and u think the reading isnt correct, u can always put it under your toungue and u should get about 98.6*, done this a couple times when i doubt lol.
    Thanks for the info.

If im understanding this right although the clamps and thermocouples say that they have to be calibrated for 1 degree accuracy. It is actually the meter itself that is being adjusted to the clamp or thermocouple sensor.

I have the three different versions of the pipe clamp so this means that I have to calibrate the meter each time I use a different clamp right???

If so this is ridiculous. Does anyone know if the Fluke 902 for example and their temp devices are more accurate and dont require calibrating the meter each time you use a different temp measuring clamp or thermocouple??

Thanks

Post Likes
    yes, calibrate the meter, the temp sensers on all your clamps should all read the same ohm value at the same temp, ohm value gos up and down as the temp goes up and down, your meter sends voltage threw the senser and how fast it comes back is how the meter senses what temp the senser is reading.

if u calibrate one clamp then the rest should be the same, if not then u have a problem with the senser, all fieldpiece sensers have the same values whether its a temp clamp or k-type bead.

get the meter calibreated and all should be almost exactly the same.

Post Likes
    Fieldpiece says on their website when calibrating the meters using ice water calibrate it to 31.3 instead of 32. http://fieldpiece.com/PDF/Manuals/Opman-ATH4-web.pdf

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in